V2 Tent Lock Failure

So I just picked up V2 camper last week and one of the panel locks did not work on the trip. When I got home today I lubricated it but it still will not work. Any ideas? It looks like maybe it’s jammed?

I sent a support email but was wondering if any of you found a fix. I’m hoping it’s an easy fix. I know stuff like this happens but I’m mad I didn’t test the locks before leaving. TIA

1 Like

One of mine stays open like that too. I put the spray graphite in there, so it should help with sticking.

Also, I don’t think thats what this thread was originally about. But still a good point

Removed my locks since they were sticking even after flush/lube. Felt like the spring was mechanically not in a position to work smoothly despite being clean/lubricated. Was worried I’d get to camp and not be able to open the tent. Was going to open a support request to see if I can get a new set. Maybe carry a cordless Dremel just in case after seeing it stick.

1 Like

Okay, I’m locked out of my tent as well. The pin lock on the passenger side turns but does not pop out. This is pretty annoying since I’ve only just bought this V2 and have only used it a few times.

Got a call from Wiley who offered some tips for this. I was able to get the lock freed up using some spray lubricant. Thanks Wiley.

1 Like

Just picked up my camper and was told that the locks were back ordered. So instead of locks, these plungers were installed. I was traveling to a place where needed to be able to fully lock everything, including the tent so I purchased a trailer lock off Amazon. The description said it was 1/4 diameter which it turns out it was slightly bigger. I shaved a tad off on the latch side and it worked like a charm. Nice tight fit and the cap keeps the water and dirt out. I put the plunger back in when I don’t need the lock and it’s back to usual functionality. Trailer Lock

19 Likes

edited: nvm didn’t see that you linked it at the end. Thanks!

Is this a 5/8" locking hitch pin or a tongue coupler lock?

1 Like

I really like the look and functionality. Seems like a more consistent and reliable set up. I wonder if this is something we can request. Would have no problem buying my own lock from amazon.

1 Like

Plunger seems to be the new system they are going with. I talked with customer service today to request the plunger set up instead of the lock and they said that is the direction they are currently staying in. Locks seem to be back ordered and troublesome.

2 Likes

It’s the 1/4” diameter by 7/8” pin. Link is right above the photos

9 months into my GFC V2 ownership, and the tent locks failed in the locked position. Hoping I can fiddle with them and get them open. GFC needs a major redesign here! Such cheap locks for such a critical function!

2 Likes

Tried this and it didn’t work sadly

Ended up having to drill out the lock. Shout out to Calder and GFC customer service for calling me and remedying the issue within 24hr of posting on the forum. Quite impressed!

1 Like

Mine locked me out on a pretty critical backcountry trip back in July / August and took a long evening in the dark to get out. GFC sent me out a new lock (obviously didn’t get this until the end of the trip) and this was right before they posted their graphite lube fix on YouTube and here. I’m about to head out on another week long trip and in prepping the camper I’ve found the other lock (not the replaced one) is now faulty and wouldn’t unlock. An hour later I had it unlocked, but I’ll unfortunately be running with them in the unlocked position for the duration of my trip because I cannot afford to get stranded.

I hope GFC comes up with a solid replacement for these locks aside from just sending out new replacements of the same design. Customer service has been great thus far, but in my opinion all the fixes up to now have been band-aids and do not solve the issue indefinitely. I’ve maintained the locks with graphite spray, but perhaps living in the desert the quantity of dust I experience will find its way in there one way or another and gum up the locking mechanisms. I can only assume this issue isn’t just living in the desert, but rather anywhere dirt and grime can exist on our trucks. I like the solution above with the trailer lock, but would prefer something to come from GFC to avoid warranty issues.

Edit: 30 minutes after posting this, Calder from GFC called me to work through this issue. I’m amazed at this companies efforts to take care of their customers and would recommend anyone having issues with this or anything relating to their build to work with GFC on solutions. They’ve been great through and through and I look forward to continued and uninterrupted enjoyment of my camper setup!

9 Likes

Having some tent lock and back panel latch issues, as well. I just received my weatherization kit, and was going to start that process, but my tent lock won’t open. The key doesn’t appear to be able to thread into anything. I’m able to spin the key 360 degrees. Those with lock failures experience similar issues?

According to the install team the locks are now being deleted due to supply issues. They now have a machined pin that locks the latches down. It’s not lockable but is made by them.

@GFC_Support @GFC

Would it be possible to send a service request form for these knobs to replace the locks? My locks are fine thus far but I don’t trust them at all and have left them unlocked since day one but can see how easy it would be to accidentally lock them when I’m up on the tailgate moving stuff in that area

2 Likes

Definitely in the same boat and interested in the response!

1 Like

@JoeFarris thanks for speaking with me on the phone!

@OverlandKyle @MBBME if you have not had an issue with your Plunger Locks, then you can purchase the Spring Pins from us by submitting a Service Request Form. For those that are not aware, we do have a maintenance video for the Plunger Locks. The Spring Pins are not lockable with a key, so you have to pull the knob by hand to free the tent latch:

2 Likes

I’ll wait until I start having issues with my locks, sounds like it’s only a matter of time. Appreciate the response and info as always!

1 Like