Water leak into truck cab due to water run off from camper

Hi

Has anyone else experienced water leaks into their truck cab from the runoff from their Go Fast Camper?

I am finding that concentrated streams of water are running down the rails of the Go Fast Camper and landing exactly on the rubber seals of my truck. I didn’t realise it was leaking so badly till I left my truck for 3 weeks and came back to find huge puddles inside.

It seems like the shear volume of water is getting past the rubber seals around the doors on both left and right sides and getting into the cab.

I am looking for a solution to divert the water flow from hitting the truck roof and the rubber door seals. Pretty sure I cannot be the only one having this issue. Living in rainy Vancouver doesn’t help.

Thanks,

Andrew

1 Like

Search for “drip rails” in the forum. @jedgar makes these and has them in stock periodically.

http://joshedgardesign.com/products.html#!/GFC-DripRail/p/340251088/category=113909263

6 Likes

I second this, support @jedgar because he’s a kickass dude and he makes good shit

4 Likes

Thanks @Taq and @Mike_GFCUSA !

@ART2020 I should have another round in a few weeks. If you want me to send you a message when they are in email me at josh@joshedgardesign.com

1 Like

Hi Josh

Thanks for the replies on my leak issue. I will also order those locks for the rear latch, Josh. Josh looks like you have made some awesome accessories.

Have a lot of people had problems with the screws breaking in the tent frame structure?

First trip out this year mine broke and I had to limp home, hoping that the other latch wouldn’t break.

I got new screws from GFC and had a mechanic friend replace them, but some are completely seized and my friend is concerned if they snap it will be next to impossible to drill out. (around the front hinge)

It looks like I need to make a trip to Montana to have the remaining screws replaced and new hinges for the latched doors.

Just wondering are their anymore surprises waiting for me? We plan to head to the Artic circle next year and Alaska and I don’t want any major issues on the trip from my GFC?

Cheers,

Andrew

Josh,

Do you have a replacement for the OEM panel locks? It takes far too much time and effort to get the key in mine. I’m definitely interested in alternatives.

I don’t unfortunately. Mine always worked well if I kept them lubed up with Boeshield, but I rarely locked the camper. For what it is worth the ones on my RSI smartcap are drastically worse than the GFC ones.

@ART2020 You need to get your door seals fixed. If your vehicle’s a number of years old, then the rubber may have degraded. You should also be aware that interior puddling could affect any wires run under the rug. And if you don’t dry it out pretty quick… it can also cause mold/mildew which might result in a complete rug/floor liner replacement (happened to me many years ago).

JEdgar’s gutters are nice - I have a pair. But you need to address the root of the problem which is the leak. The gutters will still drop all that water on your roof - their intent is only to drop the water about 6" farther up on the dome of the roof so they’re not dripping right at the gap when a door opens. Depending on your vehicle, you might have integral rubber channels/covers which serve as ad-hoc gutters (but more aerodynamic than actual formed gutters) - these channels are typically also where OEM roof racks bolt in - and those rubber covered channels help minimize rain reaching the door seam.

2 Likes

Thanks, MapCompass.

Yes, decided on all new rubber seals on the truck and Josh’s rain gutters and this product from Amazon to help divert the rain a bit. Found this stripping on another post by SW-Tacoma.

Thanks for all the help.

hanks, MapCompass.

Yes, decided on all new rubber seals on the truck and Josh’s rain gutters and this product from Amazon to help divert the rain a bit. Found this stripping on another post by SW-Tacoma.

Thanks for all the help.