Water storage solutions

What do you all have for water storage solutions other than that standard rotopax or 5 gal jugs. Any mounted water tanks? I was thinking this one and mount it standing vertically to my OEM tundra bed rail system.

Or this style.

3 Likes

I was looking at this one as a possibility.

1 Like

Or this one. Depending on what configuration I decide on.
I got the idea from this image online from a truck bed camping set up search.
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/arrow-plastic-beverage-container-4-73-l-0422098p.0422098.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAu8SABhAxEiwAsodSZF5ZpSlBnHmmXNzXscC5TPO5yeB7DaWKddDiCiwofdjKdYj0u8uCXhoCFHYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#store=137

1 Like

The top one is what I was thinking. This is not my truck. Just an idea I hope to use. Either way. These tall thin ones would save space for sure.
Dang. Did the image even come through? Sorry. Greenhorn here. :smirk:

1 Like

I believe Front Runner also has a tank made to go in the bed of the truck. 10 gal. And only takes 3" of the bed floor space.

1 Like

That is cool. Thanks for sending me to that page in general though. I found this one and like it a lot. This would fit well all the way at the front of my bed.

Nice. It’s really amazing how many different options are out there.

1 Like

I’m thinking of using 6" PVC to make a 22-23 liter (~6 gal.) pressurized water tank. Needs to be about 50" long. The nice thing about this kind of tank is that it doesn’t require a pump to operate. Ideally I would like to locate the tank inside the camper, strapped to the camper frame just under the RTT. 6 gallons of water weighs just under 50 lbs., call it about 60 lbs. all up so should not be an issue weight-wise for the camper frame. Just use an onboard air compressor to keep the pressure up. Internal baffles would be nice to reduce sloshing, but since its inside the camper and not inside the truck cab, sloshing most likely is not an issue sound-wise. You could even make a second one for a beef bar mounting on top of the RTT and use it for an outdoor shower. Lots of vids online showing how to make DIY.

Here’s one: how to make pressurized water tank - YouTube

And here’s a rendering showing it in the camper.

1 Like

I use 2 of these (40L). They are the real deal Mil-Spec ones. I added the quick connect so they hook to my 12v wash down pump. I might try the stainless version next but these definitely have the least plastic tasting water I’ve found off all the jugs.

2 Likes

I have a 15 gallon Ironman tank in my rig

6 Likes

@Jcknapp74 Unrelated, but what is that enclosure you’re using to hide the water tank?

I made it. I built the frame out of 80/20 and I already had the Doug fir planking for the top.

2 Likes

I use The GTFO Overland Jerry Box. I really like it. Spendy but works great. Holds 7 gallons. Stacks on my recovery Frontrunner box making easy access to get water. I carry scepter water jerrys to top it off depending on the time of year or if I have two thirsty dogs.

2 Likes

Here is a 3’ one I built for my FJ roof. All Sched 40 (6” pipe/caps) and 80 (fittings) PVC. Fill and drain anchored internally with marine epoxy putty. Air pressure controlled via regulator setup connected to the valve via LockNFlate fitting. Mounted using reinforced steel pipe hangers and custom steel brackets…both powder coated matte black. Non-potable water only. Potable water gets stored inside the rig in portable jugs.

1 Like

I like that bench.

something to think about, depending on how and where you travel and for how long you are traveling is how easy it is going to be to refill a built-in tank and can you do it without pumping water through a nasty hose? Primarily so you don’t contaminate your tank or fill it with foul tasting water. We built our setup around some dometic jugs that we can carry into a store to fill, or carry up to a water filtration place.

2 Likes