Waterport Weekender

Has anyone mounted a Waterport Weekender to their camper? I was looking at using the GFC awning mounts to do this, but they suggest using 4 for anything over 80 pounds, and the weekender is roughly 100 pounds full.

IIRC GFC doesnā€™t recommend any kind of water solutions mounted to the GFC exterior, because they plan for a static load(?) not something that can move around like water in a container.

edit: ā€œwe do not recommend mounting a Road Shower to the utility track of your camper if you intend to travel with it full of waterā€

Thanks for the link! Beef bars it is

I have one of those, i mounted it to the roof rack on my taco, i have a PRinsu habitat rack. It sloshed when i turned, enough that you can feel it upset the balance of your trucks suspension if you brake hard enough. It made my truck feel top heavy when full, and it was mounted perpendicular of the direction of travel. If you mounted it in parallel with the direction of travel you will be affected even more since it will be each time you accelerate or brake. I went with a different water solution in the end because it was too much up high for my taste, especially once you add gear and awning to the mix.

Edit- i have a nearly new water port weekender with all the fixings for sale, pm me for details, lol

Sounds like I may be getting rid of mine also haha

1 Like

What kind of truck do you have? I am looking into the deck rail mounts for a road shower-type tank on my Toyota Tundra. Might be an option with your truck as well, depending on manufacturer

Gladiator. I have to remove the rails on the side for the camper install unfortunately. Iā€™ll have the front one left though

It sure looks like those bed rails are the same as Toyotas design (they may be standardized?)

Here is their bed rail kit

edit: sorry, just saw you have the Weekender not the Day Tank. You might be able to use these and mount to the front rail

Thanks! I dropped waterport an email earlier asking if this would work. We shall see

From what i remember when i looked into it, it was too much weight for the mounts to the side rails. It would flex when full, so if it was bumpy like off-road it might overflex.

@WillMiller - That Weekender looks really rad! Just to confirm, @pat_man is correct regarding the static loading vs dynamic loading. That said, the best option would be either a cab rack, or using the bed track option. Personally, Iā€™d go with track system, which you can remount after the camper has been installed.

Youā€™ll have to modify the track a bit and notch where the clamps overhang, but this wonā€™t infringe upon the factory bolt locations. This way itā€™s in a more convenient location, and youā€™re not spending more on a cab rack solution.

Hope this helps out, dude, and keep us posted once youā€™ve got that setup.

1 Like

Thanks for confirming! My install is in May, so Iā€™m trying to get everything sorted now. Iā€™m picking up in Denver and plan to head up into the mountains for a shakedown run immediately after, so there will be some parking lot installs happening

1 Like

Want some longer term advice? Sell or trash the Waterport now, before it inevitability starts leaking on you because itā€™s made entirely of plastic.

Itā€™s pricey, but right as I had assembled a part list to build my own 12V pump and water system an ad for this popped up and I ended up buying it instead, because itā€™s the EXACT dimensions of the ideal space for water I had up at the front of the bed.

Waterport is garbage though.

2 Likes

I also have the big waterport. I freakin love the thing but not sure where to keep it now. Have my maxtraxs up on the sherpa rackā€¦could probably sell it for what I purchased it for since they have sky rocketed in price.

1 Like

@kherron - Is this coming from experience using Waterport products over time?

From almost every angle in my search for reviews, including other forums and dealers, most owners rave about their Waterport products. Some have compared it to other options like the RinseKit you mentioned and had equally positive experiences.

By no means discounting your own experiences, but from durability to features, it sounds like the Weekender would still be a solid option for those who want a mountable solution. Most of the cost conscious buyers with a Costco membership also found big savings during sales as well, and MSRP is pretty comparable as is. They use a high quality food grade plastic safe for drinking, and the design looks solid as an outsider.

Rinsekit sounds great as well if you get a comparable size, and I love the portability of their product line. Some do mention that the spray time and pressure consistency had been a let down on some smaller units. Like its competitor, they are also made of plastic and stainless steel to prevent corrosion over time. Love its laminated exterior design and that itā€™s BPA free with the foam baseā€¦ but still plastic.

It sounds like both options are assembled in California with parts varying in origin, but after calling both companies, I was only able to confirm that live with Waterport since Rinsekit pushed me to voicemail for any option I chose. Could just be a high volume day which is good or badā€¦ I canā€™t assume.

This is just an objective approach from my initial research, but I like to be thorough and dig deeper for data as we all should. Iā€™m also a dude who doesnā€™t mind the stink and using a jug/bowl for washing up. Rivers are also a plus so long as itā€™s just to rinse off.

HOWEVER, even bio-degradable soaps harm soil and water chemistry, so do your best to embrace the stink, everyone.

1 Like

Yes. I was enamored with the Waterport for probably 10-15 trips. It worked great while it worked.

Unfortunately not only are all the fittings and hoses plastic, which I eventually replaced, but so are the threads that are a permanently molded part of the tank the fittings attach to. These threads eventually wear down and strip and no amount of plumbers tape or silicone could make it keep a seal once pressure was applied.

I like having ā€œrunningā€ water for trips longer than a couple nights not just for a quick hair/face rinse but primarily because being able to wash dishes or not significantly influences what food/meals I bring.

Thatā€™s great feedback. It does appear similar issues could happen with a Rinsekit given they use nearly identical fittings and accessories, ie- both spray nozzles are plastic threads. Stoked to hear how it holds up over time.

I really appreciate that RinseKit offers a 1-year warranty for defects vs. 90-days post purchase from Waterport. Thatā€™s solid support if someone uses it as much as you. Do you have feedback from for WP from customer service angle as well? Iā€™d be bummed if they didnā€™t offer replacement parts in short timeframes.

Running water is solid, but having done week long trips, a few jugs and the right bowls have worked fine for showers and cookware, albeit on a budget.

I didnā€™t pursue support unfortunately. I was so frustrated that I just binned it.

I got burned twice. The first time it failed was on a trip before I had replaced the plastic ball valve, and I bumped it while grabbing something out of the back and it just erupted, all over the back of my truck, including wetting my bedding that was sitting in the ā€œatticā€ net above it.

Once I got home I ordered new brass fittings, applied tape and silicone, did a couple test pressurizations ā€“ thought I had fixed it.

Got back out on another trip and as soon as I pulled it out of the truck it just fucking went off again lol.

Messed with it again when I got back home and couldnā€™t get it to hold pressure any more. Right into the trash out of pure frustration.

Weā€™ll see how the Rinsekit holds up. The spray nozzle is plastic, but whatever else theyā€™re using is all internal and is not subject to constant pressurization like the Waterport because itā€™s an electric pump instead.

Bummer to hear your experience wasnā€™t a great one. While I always advocate toward warranty/ customer service as the primary option in case youā€™ve been sold a ā€˜lemonā€™, I completely understand your frustration.

You should review the RinseKit for us here soon given how often you get out there! It would be rad to hear if itā€™s worth it for others to account for a solid portable solution to their own budget if the Waterport or others donā€™t seem like the best option.

Thanks for all the quick insights, man! Really appreciate it.

Yeah I should have contacted them first. I had already been thinking about doing a 12V pump system so I think this was just the green light I needed lol.

Iā€™ll definitely have some feedback on the Rinsekit once I start getting out a bunch in Spring/Summer. Iā€™m not really set up for more than a night or two of winter camping, and the majority of my go-to areas in the Sierra / Eastern Sierra are inaccessible and/or under closure until April.

I used it for a 10 day trip in October and 2 nights in Yosemite right before Christmas and it worked well. Overnight low was like 33F ā€“ any lower and I wouldnā€™t even have brought it. I think if you have any water in an electric pump and it freezes youā€™re gonna be sad.

1 Like