weBoost solutions and GFC

@PNW did you find a good solution for getting signal in two locations?

Sorry, never got around to it. Honestly, I haven’t used the weboost very often. There aren’t many places I frequent that have a weak signal. It’s typically been no signal at all the places I’ve been frequenting lately.

I just installed the weBoost Drive Reach OTR on my v2 GFC/Tacoma. I wanted a solution that had a relatively tall antenna that could be used while driving and folded down if I need more clearance.

Since GFC’s machined 90* bracket is perpetually sold out I mounted it to some aluminum angle. It’s ugly but it works.

2 Likes

Meh, I think it looks cool You’ve done exactly what I’d planned on doing.

Where did you get the 90 degree mount? I ordered one from Uniden, all the way from Australia :sob:

And, how’s the reception now?

And, did you hardwire the power from the we boost or are you sing the biggie adapter?

I got the folding mount from Pacific Customs.

Anodized Black Billet Aluminum Bolt On Fold Down Whip Antenna Mount

The mount seems pretty solid but unfortunately it’s threaded for a 1/2”-20 antenna base. The weBoost antenna is 3/8”-24, so I added a stainless thread adapter to make it work.

I haven’t been out camping with it yet but around town it makes a noticeable difference. Seems to work well even with it folded/strapped down. My plan is to leave it down day-to-day (otherwise I’ll forget and smash my garage) and extend it for camping/road trips.

Right now I’m using the cigarette lighter power adapter the OTR model comes with.

2 Likes

Nice, thanks for the reply.

I just got mine mounted yesterday, pretty happy with the results. The Uniden fold-down mount is BURLY and I used half of the included mirror-bar mount that came with the WeBoost OTR.

I have to remember to pop the antenna before popping the tent though, because of where the antenna holder is located (on pop-up tent portion of the camper rather than the lower)

3 Likes

Looks good! I thought about using part of the mirror bracket, but I would have needed to enlarge the mounting hole from 3/8” to 1/2” and I didn’t think I had a drill bit that could make it through that beefy bracket.

Yup, I went to a hardware store that has building services and had them bore the hole out to 1/2" for $1!

I wish the holes lined up to have 4 t-nuts but I used 2 beefy ones and it’s solid (until I wack it going into a parking garage!)

Here she is with some braided wire loom to clean it all up.

5 Likes

@thelovedrive @gwiz great antenna setups thanks for the info! Couple questions if you don’t mind:

What did you use to rest/secure the antenna when folded? Micro-quick fist looks like an option?

Does the top of the antenna (the wide part) seem robust? I am a little concerned that road vibrations will bang it against the extrusion while driving- any issues with that?

@Geo5 thanks for the kind words!

I secure the antenna by strapping/hanging it from a tie down ring using coated wire. I bought a 10 pack of cheap stainless tie down rings to use in the wellnuts inside the camper. It happened to work pretty good for this use as well. Highly recommend.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08P73G99C

The wide part of the antenna seems pretty robust but I wouldn’t want it banging against the camper regularly. Fortunately mine kind of hangs from the tie down and naturally rests just off of the extrusion. It might make occasional contact while driving I’m not sure but I think it won’t be an issue.

The downside of my setup so far is that the fold down mount I got has some play in it. When folded down it’s rock solid since it has an additional support point but when deployed while driving it moves slightly. I think it’s solid/safe but the movement is unnerving to my passenger so I leave it strapped down when driving normally. I’m going to look into making some kind of shim I can wedge in there to keep it still.

The fold down mount I used is rock solid, though it cost me $100.

I used a bent metal clamp to cup the antenna in the down position, coupled with the pin in the mount leave the antenna firmly resting on the clamp.

And I used some ensolite foam on the extrusion to protect against rubbing.

I only wish the clamp was lower so that the antenna would be perfectly horizontal in the down position.

Also, my antenna has to be in
Up position for me to open the tent. I use a carabiner to remind myself that the antenna is down. When it’s up, I clip it to the antenna, and when it’s down I move it to the rear of the tent and clip the pull tab to a d ring on the lower extrusion.

The spring on the antenna does contribute to some significant antenna wobbling while driving , but it’s too late to remove it now.

Very informative comments thanks Y’all.

I’m still planning my antenna setup. I bought the Pacific folding mount but now am liking the looks of the Rhino Rack option for less wiggle when raised/lowered.

Now that you have had your setups a while How much more effective is the antenna when raised vs lowered?

Where did you get the thread adapter? I’m trying to do the same setup.

Hi @Mvanhoorn85 I got it from McMaster-Carr:

Since then I ended up switching to a hood antenna mount so that I could use the extra cord slack to move the puck into the camper/near the tent at camp as needed.

I used a rhino rack folding antenna mount and have it on the rear of my habitat rack, behind my recovery boards. The boards blow wind above my GFC and antenna mount when folded down. I only pop it up when I’m using it.

mounted the WeBoost Drive Reach OTR today and got a -27db improvement in my driveway which I’m happy with!

currently mounted with the bracket that came with the kit but will replace that with the Rhino Rack mount once it comes off backorder

4 Likes

In case anyone cares, if you plan on using the full extension, it is a perfect fit across the top of your roof from left to right on a prinsu rack, no overhang especially when mounted to a rhino rack folding mount

Ooh thanks for the information!

Is the mount mounted in the crossbar or on the side piece? I’ve seen it mounted both ways

I mounted it to the top of the rear cross bar, it came out clutch