Weight capacity of the GFC camper bed platform

Hey everybody,

So this may sound silly but can anyone tell me the weight capacity of the GFC camper bed platform.
I’m a pretty big dude at 6’5" 270. I just want to be sure this thing will support myself and my wife plus a bit of action ya know if it presents an opportunity. She much smaller at 150.

1 Like

I’m not sure what the official weight capacity is. Maybe email GFC support directly but I don’t think you’ll have any issue. That thing is strong AF.

1 Like

I believe it is 500 lbs.

2 Likes

Hey there,

The sleeping platform on the camper is engineered to hold up to 500lbs. Exactly what @Kwood said, it’s strong AF.

-Mike

4 Likes

Ensure your gimp is <80lbs and you’re good to go!

1 Like

500 lbs? Is there a way to beef this up? Seems really easy to hit 500 with 2 big guys on a hunting trip, or a couple of teens trying to stay dry on a rainy day playing cards up there with friends, or me & the wife with some gear… Is it possible to add some sort of extra bracket or something?

Up there with friends? The tent area is big but I would never just hang out up there. I hang out down below in bad weather all the time. I also remove the panels and use the top as a computer desk too. But in my opinion hanging out up top is not a super valid option.

2 Likes

Most of the other RTT type options out there seem to have a higher weight ratings. Some say they’re able to sleep 4 people even. Having not seen one of these in person, or had anything like it before, I’m trying to see if this would be a good fit for our family or not… maybe not.

The GFC is a 2-person tent. Looking at other 2-person tents, they’re right in the ball park of weight capacity:

GFC: 500 lbs
Tepui Ayer: 400 lbs
Front Runner: 600 lbs
Yakima SkyRise 2: 400 lbs

1 Like

Also, it’s a wedge-style tent so there’s not a whole lot of room to just “hang out” in the actual tent. That’s what cabana mode is for - hanging out in the bed. If you want to hang out in the sleeping area I would suggest looking at a complete pop-up style.

2 Likes

Thanks for the input guys!

I hang out in the sleeping area. Not with friends but it’s great up there. I like it in cold weather especially because I run a buddy heater. There’s a noticeable difference between the temperature upstairs
if you allow the heat to rise. One of the reasons I got this thing was to have views like this.

1 Like

@KellyR, I only share my GFC with one other person but I guess a lot of people pack kids and dogs in this thing. Personally I like it solo or just my wife. Shared it with a friend one night when it was cold and stormy. He slept downstairs .That was the exception. I think a larger truck bed like tundra or Ford would be ideal for more than two people. Just my opinion though.

2 Likes

Yeah, for the most part I figure it would be my wife & I up on the roof & our 6yo down in the truck bed. If the older teens came with, often they’re “doing their own thing” with friends, then they’d be in a tent. But, I’m in Oregon, & it rains a lot here. At some point I’m thinking the kids will pile up there… I mean who wouldn’t want to… it’s a freaking cool rig right? Although, sadly, it might just not be the right rig for us… at least right now. Kind of bummed 'cause I had a really cool kitchen idea I wanted to try building. Well, maybe down the road as a hunting rig.