What have you done to your GFC this week

It has been a decades since it was safe enough to travel to baja alone to surf. If you drive down alone, plan on meeting others there or in a pack. Have a good place to hide any valuables, your wallet, money, etc.

3 Likes

so sick! It looks like you have some sort of plate system to secure the drawers to, is that right? Been brainstorming ideas to come up with my own plate system or find a better solution to mount my drawers. Looks solid man! Enjoy Baja

Yeah a half inch plywood baseplate sprayed with bed liner. Then t nuts to bolt the cabinets down. We basically tried to copy goose gear. I’ll do a detailed post on it eventually.

Why did you mount your bypasses upside down?

That’s the way the rears are run for these trucks as far as I am aware. I don’t even think they would fit the other way around. I was told you want the shafts up and out of the rocks and road grime on the back anyways.

Trim-Lok Mod

Small issue opening and closing the back lid my fingers would pull it off the seal as there is no handle.

I started by mounting a Ram mount 1inch ball so that as I lift the lid, I had something to hang on to rather than touching the latches and using them to pull on it seamed to be the smart thing over time the hinges are not designed for that. The Ball mount is multi-purpose.

I use a small amount of Sashco 13010 10.5oz Sashco Sealants Clear Lexel Adhesive Caulk link below has not failed in 3 months of winter.

I also added had an issue with water ice and mud in the gaps of the back and side lids in addition to the gap between the camper and the bed rail, easy fix for this was the addition of Trim-Lok the link below trimmed out all these areas that are now fully sealed. Trim-Lok Trim Seal with Top Bulb – Fits 1/8” Edge, 7/16” Bulb Seal Diameter, 25’

Tom
Knob

14 Likes

Interesting. Did you have to reverse the shim stacks and valving for that orientation? I’ve never seen bypasses mounted inverted before.

I love that seal with top bulb idea… gonna steal that idea and use it on mine but wow… 50 bucks for a 25 foot roll… I kinda expected it to be somewhere like 30 bucks or so but if that prevents water from intruding then its a worthwhile investment I’m betting.

1 Like

I was getting a lot of Ice water mix salt road mud in the gaps this fit so well and looked clean, very happy with it now ,$ for the roll was high Trim-Lok is sold everywhere I did not shop around much you only need half that for the doors I just used the rest on the camper cab seal to use it up and it helps there to just to keep dirt out not much else
Thx
Tom

I like the 1" RAM ball mod. It got me thinking on taking that as a starting point and then what can be attached on the inside utilizing the same mount points to close the panel while in the truck bed.

2 Likes

Good idea if you decide to do a definitely posted I like to see it as done figured out what I wanna do there yet
Thx
Tom

Did some landscaping in the GFC

24 Likes

I found the rotting dog food under the rubber mat in the back that was creating an amazing odor… cleaned it and then went camping.

9 Likes

Not true, been going every year for the last 5, excluding 2020 & 2021, will be going again this year. Just be respectful of another country and their culture, and mind your own business and you’re fine.

6 Likes

I ran it through a car wash to get the salt crust off. everything survived including the glass hopkins levels but I’ll never do that again. I don’t know how people run more expensive cars through them weekly.

1 Like

Working on a power system box for a fellow GFC owner in town. The prototype is coming along, but slowly when on crutches. The 2nd version will probably be built with 1020 extrusion and 1/4” ply; just using up some spare 5/8” cull I had laying around.

5 Likes

Let there be light!

Used the diesel heater to get it warm enough to install the Matt Gecko LED kit. Kind of surprised how much power these draw (5 amps). Should be better once I get the switch pro and can dim them.

4 Likes

Installed two Yakima Highspeed bike trays. After exhaustive research and trying to make my Kuat Trio trays work with various hardware iterations I just had to buy new trays. The beef rack towers just don’t provide for enough clearance for any other bike tray systems and associated hardware/clamps. Which is unfortunate.

I have to carry six bikes fairly often. I can carry 4 on my Kuat NV bike rack. And now 2 on the roof of the GFC.

1 Like

Halfway through building a couple of drawers. The bottom drawer will be a kitchen and the top is storage. 45L dometic fridge will be on top with a drop down slide.

13 Likes

This is sick! I love the extruded aluminum style slide outs

1 Like