What have you done to your GFC this week

Working on a power system box for a fellow GFC owner in town. The prototype is coming along, but slowly when on crutches. The 2nd version will probably be built with 1020 extrusion and 1/4” ply; just using up some spare 5/8” cull I had laying around.

5 Likes

Let there be light!

Used the diesel heater to get it warm enough to install the Matt Gecko LED kit. Kind of surprised how much power these draw (5 amps). Should be better once I get the switch pro and can dim them.

4 Likes

Installed two Yakima Highspeed bike trays. After exhaustive research and trying to make my Kuat Trio trays work with various hardware iterations I just had to buy new trays. The beef rack towers just don’t provide for enough clearance for any other bike tray systems and associated hardware/clamps. Which is unfortunate.

I have to carry six bikes fairly often. I can carry 4 on my Kuat NV bike rack. And now 2 on the roof of the GFC.

1 Like

Halfway through building a couple of drawers. The bottom drawer will be a kitchen and the top is storage. 45L dometic fridge will be on top with a drop down slide.

13 Likes

This is sick! I love the extruded aluminum style slide outs

1 Like

@IdahoTider Hi! I order my GFC just waiting for confirmation of install date. I would love more details about how you built this and parts, etc. I am thinking of doing the same for a 2022 Tacoma DCSB for sitting on/storage.

Justin

1 Like

Justin, it is pretty easy to do if you sketch out a plan in advance or use something like sketch-it. I ordered from www.tnuz.com and had them cut to size and machine/thread a few holes I needed. The tricky part is learning all the different fasteners one could use and I just went to Youtube to educate myself on those. Happy to send you what I used as a guide.

Best regards.

@IdahoTider

Thanks. I’ve been doing the same but getting a little lost on how to fasten and what/how to machine/thread. Tnuz is just a blackhole! Are you machine threading each end and cross beam?

I would love to hear more about what you did cause your build is super clean and nice. Probably very sturdy and light as well. When you made draws do you just make them smaller in dimension to fit the interior of the slide?

I can try and take a look at sketch-it as well.

Justin

Drawers look awesome man! What are your plans for mounting them in the bed? Gladiators seem to have a lack of mounting points to the deck. Unless you use the bed rail system I reckon.

Connecting the pieces together is actually pretty simple. You can use their 90 degree brackets at any corners. You really only need threads on the end pieces and then they have either rounded or square options for those. You can have them tap them or do it yourself with a drill bit and tap. You can cut the 8020 pretty easily with a chop saw and any blade.

Agreed dfinn. I used L-brackets for the upper & lower frame as there I didn’t have to worry about interference with the slide in panels. On the corners I used 8 three way corner brackets which needed the ends of each 80/20 piece to be machined/threaded. For the vertical I used blank end fasteners which required me to drill a pilot hole to reach the allen bolt head for tightening. I used those as they minimally interfere with the slide in panels which I notched very minimally.

To mount to the Gladiator, I use the trail rails and the two lower D-rings on the passenger side.

1 Like

@IdahoTider how did you attach the slides?

Tnuts in the extruded aluminum and hex head bolts. 40” 600 lb slides.

Awesome man. Can’t wait to see it finished up. I’ve been cooking up plans in my brain for my JT when I pick it up. Hard to fully conceptualize how it will all go together since I don’t have the Jeep yet, so it’s nice to see someone finally posting about building theirs out. Keep it up!

I was able to get a pack of 10 from one of the big box stores (I think it was Home Depot) for a couple of bucks. It was in the wires section by the zip ties.

2 Likes

You’re right. The one I purchase were for flat surfaces. Sorry…I didnt realize the distinction in the original post.

I bet the ladder would be helpful getting those bikes on/off the roof racks

Hey man I’m curious about any more details on this, and where you got it. Seems like a good way to stash some bedding.

I actually got 2… both off of Amazon… The one in the pic is

I am also testing this one…

2 Likes

Installed an intake vent to provide extra airflow for the dog when driving w/panels closed. Can’t remember who shared these vents initially (someone here or on FB) but they seem super high quality and I think it will make a big difference!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08F3P3DRBi?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

13 Likes