What’s up with hinges breaking

Are those stainless hinges?

I’m curious what hinges those are too. It certainly makes sense to back up my currently broken hinges like this instead of relying on the gorilla tape I’m using right now…

1 Like

I picked up some of these:

Once they arrive and I have a chance to install them I’ll post some pics of the result.

3 Likes

yes they are stainless steel 4" hinges. I ordered them from amazon and was also able to find some at my local ACE hardware.

2 Likes

What build are you? Do you know if you have the sealant or gasket?

Everyone, make sure you post your build number!

1 Like

YUP. I might order some of these and try them out. The track nuts blow, so much for ‘self tightening’ need them in the right position or they don’t fasten.

It is nice not to need to slide from the end of the track - but yep - they don’t turn on they’re own. I’ve gotten a lot better at getting them where I want them though. It takes a bit of practice. The nut needs to be VERY loosely attached, then I use a very small screwdriver to turn them into the correct position before tightening.

I assume they don’t slide because of the textured powder coating on the extrusion.

1 Like

@Zkzr2 Have you measured our ‘slots’ to see how close they are to 80/20?

@Zkzr2, I’m also looking for a track nut alternative. By my rough measurement the gap between the lips of the GFC track is about 0.5". That dimension on these nuts you linked to appears to be 0.443", so I think these would be too small to fit in the GFC track?

Aluminum will be much easier to drill than stainless.:slightly_smiling_face:

I’m sitting here with my tape measure and a 'T-nut. I don’t think the one’s you linked to will work…

It sure would be nice if the GFC extrusion slots were the same dimensions as 80/20. I’ve never used 80/20 but it seems like some pretty damn cool stuff!

I’m working with someone who is currently making prototypes of a lot of GFC accessories including a track nut alternative.
I should have some samples next week. Stay tuned.

9 Likes

Several different types of track nuts will be available, awning mounts, rear door (rain fly) supports with poles, crossbar racks, tent pull down straps, a solar wiring solution and possibly more. Most products will be constructed of lightweight aluminum.
All will be available for a simple online checkout purchase, with the goal being that items are always in stock and priced very competitively.

18 Likes

I just did. 15 series should work, the thickness is hard to gauge though. Opening is 0.500" and slot is .6875". I’ve been working a lot with 8020 lately for platform/drawer build, it’s a great solution for almost everything that needs strength and less weight.

Personally I can care less about sliding it along the whole track as long as it stays still once I’m fastening. Using a tiny screwdriver is a pita.

1 Like

You put me on that order list right now!!

2 Likes

I just replaced the struts to one that’s 1.75in shorter. I’m hoping it’ll alleviate the upward stress on the hinges.

1 Like

that is a good idea. I have some limiting strands tied. let us know how it is going. where did you buy the shorter struts

I thought about having limiting straps but if the tensions are off, then you’ll end up putting isolated pressure.

2 Likes

do you know how many pounds of force the stock struts have?
Thanks
Terry

I believe it’s 30-40lbs. The rear gfc struts does say 45lbs. The 28lbs I got is more than enough for the sides. I’m also getting the same struts for the rear. Photo before the new struts since I can only post one photo at a time.