What’s up with hinges breaking

Interesting. So the top photo is similar to the GFC panel open position. Can the upper part of the hinge in that photo open any further (more counter-clockwise) to allow the hinge to open past 180 degrees? Or does the hinge come apart or lock-up past 180 degrees?

And then GFC closed would be roughly the mid-point between your two photos, right? Seems like it could work. Hard to envision the geometry/offsets at the point of hinging…might just take a test fit.

I was thinking of maybe trying it out to replace on my broken rear hinge…

It’s gotta be better than the tape I’m praying will help support it.

I’m waiting on the precise dimensions.

2 Likes

I hope this works out.

I remember seeing those on a teardrop site earlier in the hinge discussion. I really like the idea but thought they didn’t have the range of motion for gfc.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong.

Maybe the restricted range of motion, if it exists, is still good enough?

Joined the club tonight, but check out that sunset!

8 Likes

Nice sunset, sorry to see the hinge go. What build number is your GFC?

18 I think.

So they made it longer than a lot of guys on here.

3 Likes

Damn. I’m sorry to hear about your hinges, but glad your build number is sub-100. I really hope this hinge thing is done. Not only for owners, but for the guys at GFC too. S#!+, I’ve been super careful with mine. Haven’t opened the side doors but a handful of times. Mostly rely on my rear door.

Peace.

I hate to say it, but the hinge thing isn’t nessesarily only happening to the earliest builds. I am # 244, got my camper exactly one year ago, and had my rear door hinge fail a couple weeks ago.Taylor and Mike have been very proactive about making sure I have something worked out temporarily until the PIT resumes. I used mattyd’s temporary hinge idea, door works fine for now.

5 Likes

Damn that sucks. Thanks for sharing. This is big news.

Does anyone recall the stated build number that corresponds to migrating from the old hinge mounting process to the new process? I ask because I noticed you have the older style rear tube (locking bar). When I took my camper in to have the rear tube updated to the newer model my hinge mounting was redone as well, so my assumption was the switch was about the same time.

I’m waiting on my track nuts (ordered from GFC) and will be doing exactly the same thing when they arrive. I even bought a small drill press so I can get the holes right.

Even though this completely sucks - GFC has been very good to me. I think they have been very reasonable and fair. Did I mention that it still sucks?

Cheers,

2 Likes

Around 150.

@Zkzr2 wrote this in the PIT thread
“Also sounds like anyone with a build number less than 150 may be affected; didn’t see this distinctly called out, but is what was written to me via email.”

1 Like

Does anyone have any opinions on the ability of the hinge material to stand up to sun exposure? This is all making me paranoid about the fact that right now I’m having to leave my truck in the driveway instead of the garage here in the harsh CO summer sun

I’ve kept mine out in the sun for two years. My build number is around 80ish. My hinges didn’t fail but I had them upgraded after about a year and a half.

At this point, separating the mechanical hinge from the weatherproof joint may be easier than trying to make the current continuous hinge reliable. I know it’s not as elegant of a solution, but this could be refined a little, and it appears to offer the necessary reliability at a much lower cost than the continuous composite hinge I posted earlier.

With a well thought out kit, I think many of us would be able to perform that kind of refit ourselves, which would greatly reduce the demands on the P.I.T.

5 Likes

Except having to come up with a kit in order to fix a problem that was engineered into a very expensive product we all invested in really blows

6 Likes

Build #244 is well past the point the new build process was implemented that was supposed to eliminate the hinge failure issue. Other than the worry of hinges failing its a great product. Be nice if GFC would put out a good reliable fix to eliminate worry/concerns over hinge failures.

4 Likes

For the love of god, GFC needs to eliminate the poly hinge altogether by now and move so something simple and reliable.

5 Likes

Disconcerting to hear of a potentially new hinge failing. I just made the drive up to Bozeman and had all my hinges replaced, since one had started to crack. Excellant job GFC and Mike in particular BTW.

Seeing as it was my drivers side hinge that failed and not my passenger side which couldn’t fully open due to it making contact with the awning, is making me think some type of limit strap might be a good idea.

Here’s what I came up with. About as easy as can be and works perfectly.

3 Likes