What Would You Like to See IMPROVED with the GFC?

Yup it tagged the wrong person. Fixed it

Why would I pay 10k for something and then pay more / drill / cut (possibly void warranty) so that things will work right?

1 Like

I totally agree but the above mentioned items do not void your warranty. I had to purchase lock covers even for my RSI smart cap. Super pacific owners have to purchase drip rails after dropping 13.5k. I got the dripping even on my CVT Mt hood.

Minor inconveniences for sure but I’m glad there are solutions that folks have come up with. That is one thing that is awesome about the GFC community.

1 Like

I’m not on the forum too often (spend more time outside instead of online)

However, I picked up my v2 at the end of June. Since then, I have spent roughly 35 nights in my camper and have similar, but also a few differing opinions on my experience.

The same:

• Like many others, I find the window/door configuration bothersome and inconvenient for every scenario. They don’t feel optimized for any use cases other than forced passive ventilation. Coming from my previous RTT (CVT hybrid) I miss the bug screen being on the exterior so I can open my viewport without letting in the bugs.
  • I really wish I had a full zip door. If the first point was hit, this would be a solid interior door.
  • I don’t want double layer - I just want control. Sometimes I would open up interior triangles, sometimes I would lock up everything.

Maybe New ideas:

• The upgraded mattress is a fine idea, but I would have easily paid an extra 2 grand to have a thicker/taller shell to accommodate leaving in more bedding and having a 4-5" mattress. The 2" of foam is nowhere near adequate for the true comfy sleeping experience I would have hoped for. I think a taller lower extrusion and hinge would be amazing.
  • Better wire management options - for those running solar, lighting, etc… It is somewhat difficult because the camper doesn’t seem to be designed around it. the extrusions are hollow with a face plate - wire can easily be ran through these, but corners are very problematic. I don’t love that to have hidden wiring, I have to drill a bunch of holes. integrated wiring channels would be super nice, though, we can still get around this with our own modifications, unlike my previous thought.
  • The locks on the door panels are trash. The way they are mounted in place allow for them to compress themselves and get stuck. Not to mention the complete lack of weather sealing means they are always getting full of crap. Please spend a bit extra per camper to get higher quality sealed locks.
  • My tent material gets pinched somehow during opening or closing (probably closing) by the gas struts. The area that is getting caught is already splitting - I am not confident in it lasting very long. A bit thicker material and reinforcements around wear areas like are strong need.

Personally, I’m not bothered by the lack of headliner or the lack of extra vents. I generally like the minimalist approach and think that GFC should stay true to it, but there are some usability issues with the degree to which the system is simplified.

Anyway… Still loving it! Cheers!

3 Likes

Mine has rubbed all the way through on both sides in that same area. GFC sells a patch kit, it’s not that expensive, I’d recommend doing it to keep it from getting any worse. I wish I had noticed mine earlier.

1 Like

Just noticed it starting to happen to mine thanks for the heads up

1 Like

I am constantly working on that.

Any interest in designing a hard sided wedge tent with sides that fold out? I love my GFC (#56) and have had so many great surf trips with our family (4) and the dog. The only issue we have is when the wind blows like hell down in Baja and the tent is so loud it Is hard to sleep.

By the way, I like the zippers on the tent the way they are - it makes it easy to get out and take a leak at night without unzipping the whole door.

2 Likes

You’re in luck. Panel Handles are on a 20% flash sale until tomorrow actually at 3DProto Lab with code “OHSHITSNOW”. Specifically made these handles for the reason you stated.

1 Like

Having camped in some extreme weather and temperatures there are truthfully only two things I can realistically say would be MAJOR changes or upgrades for me.

1. Full zipper doors. I hesitate here because I wonder what the practicality of using them as a rain fly is if we move to a full zip design. I’ll be safe if I can’t use the flap as a shade with the Shitco poles/brackets but having woken up multiple times covered in and inch of snow because it blew up and under the flap when I had it zipped close I’d say that’s a MUST.

This next one is an optional addition that I don’t neee but wouldn’t mind having. T-Slot mounting in the truckbed along the frame. Again it’s a nice to have but I don’t need it.

My concern with all the suggestions above is total overhead cost to maintain inventory for all these options. I’d prefer to see a recognized third party network of accessories if it means keeping costs down for GFC. When deciding on what my camper was going to be there were only three real options. AluCab, ATOverland and GFC. With some of the upgrades suggested I can easily see a GFC now hitting $12k or higher pushing it into the other competitors territory. Not that it’s a major issue but I think we can all agree that the major selling point for GFC is the exceptional build quality at a really solid price point.

A platform camper is in line with buying a top end truck cap, installing cross bars and adding a hard sided tent like the iKamper.

A lot of the suggestions have been brilliant and I’d love to see them as options because they don’t work for me and I don’t want them BUT I recognize they make an impact for everyone else and that’s also what’s great about our campers. GFC seems wide open to folks modding and sharing their creations and even promoting small businesses that pop up in our community.

6 Likes

On #1 Self inflating foam panels would be better than the hard foam it the current set up.
I have a puff pad but it’s awkward to get below. But individual puff pads for each section would be great, so what if it took awhile to set up. Once set up I wouldn’t need to deflate until breaking camp

1 Like

I thought maybe someone should chime in for those who like the current design “as is”.
The side doors are perfect the way they are, if you use them primarily as doors that are also windows. The mesh inside allows the “doors” to be shade/rain flaps, even without poles.
Zipping the doors on the bottom would add bulk exactly where it’s not optimal for closing the tent. To deal with that by raising the bottom of the door to eliminate the bulk at the bottom would make ingress egress cumbersome from a ladder and promote early wear. Even adding Velcro at the bottom adds bulk and difficulty getting in and out… If you like that it can be easily added later
The one option I like is adding a felt liner for the roof. I added felt to my canopy and it collected condensation but it really would need to be aired out occasionally. For the felt liner to work correctly it needs to be adhered to the honeycomb panel so including it as a manufactured option would be best, but it isn’t impossible to add on later.
My two cents (or two bucks due to inflation)

1 Like

Make the top portion of the camper longer so we have stand up space at the rear like most of the others available out there (SuperPacific, Vagabond, etc). The floor is a great idea to a degree. I’m a big guy and I’m also getting older so knees and hips don’t have the mobility they used to. This is the one thing that will likely push me to another brand when I buy my next truck. I love my camper for a lot of reasons but pulling that square up in the middle of the night to access the dog or take a leak is frigging annoying. I also don’t like ladders which is why I went with the GFC instead of a RTT. I didn’t realize what big deal it was until crawling around in a few other brands…C’mon GFC, give us some room at the back!

2 Likes

Gotta just “whip it” out the side window when taking a leak haha

3 Likes

:slight_smile: een there, done that. Freezing cold weather is not conducive to proper flow…:slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ll say that the shorter overhang of the GFC is one of the biggest things I like about it. Sure, there are pluses and minuses about both sides, but I didn’t want another 18” of overhang to have full-time open space between the top and bottom

6 Likes

I agree with this.

2 Likes

We have a lot more in common than I originally thought Phil. It is a shame to see the silencing especially on a public forum.

Robert Redford Nod GIF - Robert Redford Nod Nodding - Discover & Share GIFs

Was wondering where this thread went… Guess GFC didn’t want/like the suggestions after all. Strange to see they’d unlist something so useful for them (free R&D by customers) right as it was becoming a good resource. “Most importantly, we appreciate the feedback on features, options, and accessories you’d like to see! […] your feedback plays a large part!” -GFC

But… I can see how discussion can hurt the company. At the end of the day it is GFC’s decision but an unfortunate one at that.

1 Like