What Would You Like to See IMPROVED with the GFC?

While the new “Turbo Cubbys” are slick, it’s still frustrating to see GFC skipping over VERY prominent requests to what the consumers are wanting to see. I will say, the mattress is great but folks have already been modifying it with Overland Soft Goods 1in topper OR Exped OR Hest. What we can’t personally change or upgrade is the tent…

After the meet up this past weekend, it’s interesting how we are all after very similar things - 1) redesigned tent, 2) windows that zip UP and not DOWN, 3) better ventilation/airflow for when things need to be zipped, and 4) better fabric. I have actually gone through the forums/YouTube and collected what you see below.

WHAT ARE SOME THINGS YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE IN V2.5 OR V3???

Screenshot 2023-10-18 at 3.03.27 PM

Screenshot 2023-10-18 at 3.03.41 PM

Screenshot 2023-10-18 at 3.03.57 PM

Screenshot 2023-10-18 at 3.04.12 PM

Screenshot 2023-10-18 at 3.04.21 PM

Screenshot 2023-10-18 at 3.04.38 PM

10 Likes

New tent walls. Every other aspect is perfect for me haha

1 Like

I take the latter half back, also factory headliners for those of us camping in wet/cold conditions to reduce condensation buildup!

5 Likes

Some sort of rainfly for the doors, like what @hunneyd made here:

4 Likes

thanks for the recognition @1derwomansapprentice ! And yeah, some sort of tent design improvements would be nice for rainy days for sure

3 Likes

Some updates that would be nice for the tent:

• Doors that open top down and fully zip to help with ventilation, privacy, and less flapping fabric when closed during wind. I personally wouldn’t mind if the back door stayed as is, but just make it zip fully shut.
  • Some sort of vent/opening high in the peak to help with ventilation and condensation build up.
  • Screens on the outside of the fabric doors. At least on the two side doors this would be nice.
  • Some sort of pocket/pockets on the inside.
  • Headliner option, even if it’s an additional “add on” that costs extra.
3 Likes

I would love to have a way to vent heat from my diesel heater to both the upper and lower sections of the GFC. Maybe a passthrough of sorts?

1 Like

why doesn’t v1 get any love?

4 Likes

I’d really like to see some kind of weather cover for the tailgate / rear hatch area. In an ideal world, one that quickly & easily attaches to the extrusion and is small enough to stow, without too much clunky hardware, and one that doesn’t use up too much storage space. The idea would be to keep the tailgate area protected if you need to be outside the camper, but would rather not.

I’m probably asking for the engineering equivalent of cold fusion…

Yes, I could design something… I have some ideas in my head, but my attempts at engineering usually end up as usable but wonky contraptions. GFC seems to be able to leave the wonky bits out of their designs… :smiley:

Peace.

5 Likes

I’m just here to say I wish I could have gone to the meet up. Next year.

6 Likes

Diesel heater mounting/passthrough solution. Or an entire first party solution.

Something along these lines.

5 Likes

in this order

1. better mattress or @HEST mattress option
  2. a headliner
  3. better latches on the doors
  4. better powder coat
  5. rain fly on the tent

edit: I guess I can remove #1

4 Likes

@Buhlockaye lock covers have changed my mind on the locks now. So much better with the covers and less hassle with the dirt/mud/snow

5 Likes

I got a set of covers from @Rattler that work epically but better locks would be, well, better

Hey All!

First, you’ll find this post has been moderated to remain on topic.

Second, we intend to have meetups much more frequently than we have in the past; no need to wait until next year!

Most importantly, we appreciate the feedback on features, options, and accessories you’d like to see! Our team has a number of things in progress, and your feedback plays a large part!

Fully zipped doors are nice for some of the reasons mentioned here. Something we haven’t done an excellent job of communicating is the design intention around not making them fully sealed - providing passive ventilation.

Warmth in any single wall tent, whether it’s on the ground or on your truck, should first be found in your sleep system. The primary purpose of the tent is to protect you from rain and snow, rather than be an insulated space. Of course, with the recent proliferation of diesel heaters, we totally understand the desire to seal things up and capture that air.

Out of curiosity, would you like to see a retrofittable solution to seal the ventilation features of the tent for those using diesel heaters? Or would you prefer to trade cost, mattress thickness, ease of closure, and/or overall height of the RTT to fit a double-walled tent and reduce the draftiness?

1 Like

In regards to the relatively open bottom areas of the doors, I’m fine with the extra ventilation and design of my V1 tent (#706). My velcro is wearing out, though, so I’d love to see snap or zipper upgrade to secure the short bottom panels. I’m not trolling for a free upgrade, btw. I’d be happy to pay and come to a Bozeman appointment to have my tent upgraded to be a little better.

Peace.

2 Likes

I first off want to say how awesome the GFC community is and this forum. It’s pretty hard to find a RAD group like we have here. It’s honestly one of the reasons why I purchased the GFC - there is NOT one other company who has such a sick community. A community that can connect, give advice, share amazing builds, and more. Literally this forum is built on the backs of the consumers - with them, this forum would be nothing.

Moving on…

I will speak on what I feel is the main concern of many folks (especially after chatting with other owners during the meet up). It comes down to ~ 2-3 factors:

• How can we seal the tent when exposed to the elements AND

• How can we vent the tent to mitigate some of the condensation issues when said elements are present (snow, rain, wind, etc.) AND

• How can we also possibly have some privacy (zip down windows wink wink) + still allow airflow in the tent

I don’t hear many if anyone complain about the space frame, floor, strength of the shell, etc. Again, this is purely the tent design/window orientation layout. Everything else about the GFC besides the tent insert is RAD. I/many others don’t expect an Alucab for the price point of a GFC. However, these request are low hanging fruit that could truly excel the whole GFC product line.

If we can prevent the wind/rain/snow from entering the tent when camping in those extreme elements, that would lead to a “warmer” tent imo but correct me if that is wrong. There is a reason why folks who use the tent through all 4 seasons are making modifications to combat this issue such as adding maxair fans (@Julian has added this and many others), headliners (@Dogandagladiator has added this as well as @the_philxx and myself), or more. Being made in Montana, it should be expected that users are not only going to huck the heck outta this thing but camp in some pretty extreme elements.

While the passive ventilation is awesome, you have other competitors in the industry who are placing vents where the hot air is sitting/rising in the tent - the top back corner. Super Pacific has a very unique way of opening/closing their vent. This still allows some airflow if the tent has to be fully closed (or closed the best it can) in rain/snow. I get the triangles near the feet are supposed to help but again, my hot breath isn’t going towards my feet, it’s going to the top wedge. While these vents may not be the 100% solve all solution, from previous experiences with other RTTs, they do something and they help. I am no engineer but as an active user/camper with quite a bit of experience under my belt in various conditions…I can say for sure I miss the vents/window layout of other RTTs like the CVT Mt Hood. I think @nat3060 can even vogue for missing the sealed windows + vents of the iKamper. There is a reason why users are applying snap clips, velcro, etc. at the bottom of the windows - they want to be able to close the tent in this situations.

The user/consumer should have the ability to seal up the tent if they wish and vent the tent as they wish. Right now, we don’t have the ability to do so unless self done modifications are done which don’t always have the most success. Lastly, if we do make some of these modifications, we automatically void the warranty of the tent.

In response to this:

Out of curiosity, would you like to see a retrofittable solution to seal the ventilation features of the tent for those using diesel heaters? Or would you prefer to trade cost, mattress thickness, ease of closure, and/or overall height of the RTT to fit a double-walled tent and reduce the draftiness?

I personally don’t think there needs to be a double walled tent and after talking to some of the folks at GFC, it seems like there isn’t a true “doubled walled” RTT on the market (again, correct me if I am wrong on this). Not even Alucab, Super Pacific, or AT overland (as far as I am aware). It’s the weight of fabric being used or the material (marine grade, etc) being used that makes the difference especially after comparing the fabric used across companies. Certain materials like Polartec Power Shield w/windbloc membrane can block 99-100% of the wind - I don’t see how this would sacrifice the ease of closure, mattress thickness, or overall height of the RTT. Even if the overall height of the RTT had to increase 0.25 to 0.5in, it would open up so many more possibilities that probably many would opt for. Also, I highly doubt with the naked eye, someone would see 1/4 inch difference unless it was specifically pointed out. Again, I am not an engineer but I speak on real world experience. I use the heck out of your product and have real world experience - to me, that is something you can’t put a price on when looking for feedback, potential changes, etc.

So whoever is now running the forums or the official GFC forum profile, I hope you can take this as feedback. Yup, I am going to be the squeaky wheel on this matter because I truly care about the development and future of the company. It’s a RAD fudging company and I love supporting something so close and local… but when feet are dragged with updates/potential modifications, it’s frustrating. Take a stroll through these forums and YouTube videos/comments and I am sure you will find similar requests/or personal dilemmas on purchasing a GFC or RTT because of the above.

Man-walking-away GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

16 Likes

2 Likes

4 Likes

Glad to hear you are finally happy and enjoying your gfc! :love_you_gesture:t3:

2 Likes