What's up with new hinges

The Embassy Hinge is bolted to the bottom rail of the utility track, so removing your panels is as easy as removing those bolts from each panel. If you plan to regularly remove and reinstall your panels, I’d recommend stocking up on the t-nuts specific to that process.

1 Like

And which t-nuts are specific to that?
Do you guys have a video of removing the panels?

Not yet, and I’ll work on getting those specific tnuts up on the site. They’re special.

1 Like

How many T- nuts would one need in total for all 3 sides?

I think the best way to remove and install a panel is by sliding it on and off rather than removing from each nut. I don’t it is necessary to buy the special t-nuts. Maybe @Mike_GFCUSA could chime in as he is doing this daily.

2 Likes

To each their own but it was been easier for me to slide the panel on than rebolt it but neither is terribly difficult

1 Like

I like the new hinge. Can’t wait to see what other improvements pop up along the way until I get mine sometime next Summer.

2 Likes

Maybe it’s been asked, but is the new hinge design less secure in terms of access? Does it only take removal of track nuts to gain access to the bed?

Holy crap I never even thought about that!

And the panels can still be defeated by the Bad Man prying it open with his 3’ crowbar.

I think GFCs are at least as secure as a standard fiberglass bed shell, but the best that can be hoped for with vehicle burglaries is to keep the goods out of sight, slow down their entry, and make the Bad Man stand out too much to risk the attention.

6 Likes

haha I was going to say the same thing, but thought it might be too negative. :wink: actually, I might add that a hammer and a stout screwdriver would probably also do the trick…

even with a rear window that can be smashed, they still have to work harder than robbing my subaru.

1 Like

i never locked my frontier and never had an issue here in cleveland… that’s how bad nissans are

3 Likes

And lock that tailgate!! We had a couple of mountain bikes taken in February. Completely out of sight and GFC locked but someone decided to yard the tailgate open and had a private little hideout while perusing our stuff in the bed.

3 Likes

The tent gets separated from the frame and the plastic hinge gets slid out. The original sealant and capillary dams stay in place. No new sealant was added to mine but I believe they will replace the old foam seal with the new sealant if you have one of the earlier campers.

4 Likes

If I have to leave my bikes I put them in the bed of the truck and lock them to the frame of the GFC with thick chains. Cover the windows too.

2 Likes

I like the sound of that. Completely removing all vestiges of the Dread Living Hinge can only be a good thing.

I hope MagicMike isn’t choking on too much smoke.

2 Likes

Same, though not chains, just simple cables… Was clearly not sufficient.

Stellar work. Way to stand by your product… I’m glad I bought a GFC. Look forward to your future endeavors and giving you more of my money.

3 Likes

Sorry about your bikes. I learned that lesson a month ago…some turd decided to pull open the tailgate. Fortunately, the the bed was empty but the funny/not funny thing was, the panel was unlocked, and the window was actually clean for once - whomever it was could have just looked inside and walked on…Now I lock everything.

2 Likes

When you say “rip open the tailgate”, do you mean the tailgate was locked and they somehow pried it open? Sorry this happened to you. :frowning: