What's up with new hinges

Does anyone have close up pics of the new hinge? @GFC_Taylor.

I can take a picture for you, anything specific youā€™d like to see?

Iā€™ve never seen one. Is the gearing continuous along the entire hinge? If the panel is completely open does rain water run to the end or are there places where water will drip down along the hinge? Close up pictures would be great to see.

1 Like

Anything close up that shows the new design. Pic of panel attached and not attached. Thanks

2 Likes

Continuous with caps, you are correct.

3 Likes

Are these strong enough to lock in a ā€œbarely openā€ position to increase airflow while driving?
Iā€™m imagining:

open side panel >
close both latches >
swing panel down so latches are resting on frame >
secure from inside w/paracord or something else

ooooooh, good question!

Iā€™m not gonna say noā€¦these hinges are super strongā€¦but Iā€™d do that with your back latch rather than the front one.

2 Likes

How about the maxtrax question? Id be more concerned about the actual panel rather than the hinge. Comment?

Peace.

1 Like

@GFC_Taylor Are these hinges strong enough for me to drive with the side panels open, using them as wings so I could fly?
Follow up question: If so, could they also support rockets mounted to the underside of the open side panels?

12 Likes

Driving with a side door open even a little bit, even when secured as suggested, sounds like it could lead to the door vibrating in the wind. The hinge might not care, but the oscillations may not do the panel much good, especially on the highway.

I know ventilation while underway has come up before, for dogs or wedding cakes, or whatever. I think a better way to do that without installing a heavy window might be to install a louvered vent in the door, with a sliding panel on the inside to close it. It may leak a little water or dust, but a fair amount of air would move through the canopy if the vents were placed for maximum ventilation. Put a vent in each front/top corner or side door/front/top corner, with an equal amount in the rear door, and grandmaā€™s fudge would be as cool as possible.

3 Likes

Hinges should be fine with it, but I would use discretion when mounting heavy things to your panels. Keep in mind, altering your panels will void the warranty on that particular component, and panels are pretty pricey to replace. Considering itā€™s pretty easy to mount maxtrax to the utility track and beef bars Iā€™d recommend going that route instead. In the end, the choice is yours.

3 Likes

Omg removable panels!! :star_struck:

The GFC just keeps getting better and better!!!

4 Likes

Hard to argue. After the last year of revisions, I doubt thereā€™ll be a need for much to change on the Platform. Maybe refinements to the production process, or something similar, but nothing on par with the P.I.T. items.

Thatā€™s not to say that the skunk works wonā€™t roll out a heating system or a Mr. Fusion add-on, though. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I think they have some big plans for a Ver. 2 down the road and think some big changes coming for the space frame - I have no real details though

1 Like

One could only hope for something cool like that!!. :crossed_fingers:

I can see them taking everything learned from the MkI and rolling it into a MkII. Even if it was very similar, if they can find ways to incorporate cost savings and/or reduced production time into a MkII design, weā€™ll all win in the long run.

1 Like

@GFC_Taylor Any word on canvas surround now that panels are removable :wink: ?

1 Like

Sounds like a fun DIY project :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

@GFC_Taylor do the panels remove from the hinges or the hinges from the frame?

2 Likes