What's your bedding setup?

I dig the modular memory mattress concept, I’ll have to draw up a few configurations and post here to see what you all think. Either separate sections, or possibly “hinged” so that they can fold away nice and easy for hatch access.

5 Likes

Nice! I’m a big fan of rumpls for around camp and hanging out, I’ve heard from lots of folks that you do need a couple to sleep warm enough. That was part of the draw to do the hoverquilt - push the quality and construction up, primo materials and goose down, and just be an extra warm blanket for a best night’s sleep.

@AERONAUT honestly yes you are absolutely correct from my experience. The Rumpl Original was my first and I don’t remember what it was rated for but I bought the Nano Rumpl because I needed more. It’s working out fairly good so far as I can kinda use one or the other or both. I feel like both blankets is still not sufficient for freezing without being fully dressed and bundled up. I really can’t complain, but there’s always room for improvement.

1 Like

Big fluffy down quilt. Small flat house pillow. And yes, I prefer to sleep with my head at the small end. A topic of endless debate.

9 Likes

I too like to sleep with my head in the wedge. That’s mostly so Kuma can do his middle of the night circles to get comfortable again.

5 Likes

YES @WileyDavis and @Mike_GFCUSA that’s an awesome setup! :fire: Quilts for life! I’ll have to try the head in the wedge trick … might become a convert.

Also for anyone who likes free slaps we’ve reloaded stickers at the install bay at GFC! And GOFAST10 still works for GFC homies (10% off and free shipping at checkout) :call_me_hand:

(expo west show special stickers replaced with GFC offer)

2 Likes

I knew I was forgetting something… forgot to hit the gofast10 when I ordered!

1 Like

No worries Kris! We’ll get ya taken care of. 10% coming right back at ya, keep an eye out in the next day or two for it to go through

1 Like

Thanks! Looking forward to getting it in. It will go nicely with the sheets I’m making later this week using this flannel. The bolt of fabric arrived a couple days ago.

2 Likes

Those sheets are amazing!! Can’t wait to see them installed!

Love where your head’s at with this one. I typically sleep awesome on the platform mattress, so I’m not super concerned about an upgraded mattress, but if there was a modular option, I would definitely consider it. One of the biggest upgrades of having the GFC to me personally, is the configurability of the bed, ease of entry/ exit to sleep, and the interior living space option of moving panels and/ or doing bunk mode solo. So long story long, I don’t want any non modular mattress interfering with my options!

5 Likes

Awesome. Thoughts on this kind of “topper” system?

Three main options I’m thinking right now. Stretch comfort fabric, 2" thick adjustable memory foam inflatable.

OPTION A — 2 separate pads (25" wide each) and a little over 6.5 ft long. Simple, straight forward. Comfortable pillowtop

In use:

OPTION B — 2 separate pads, 80 x 25, but adding a “break” or soft hinge in the middle (fabric) so it can fold easily in the middle. 80" or so would fold to 40 so you could store them sideways in the more permanent zone. Better for storage / modularity, but you might feel the crack. Although that can be minimized by having the fabric hinge completely on the top side. Also, it would need to have extra air let out so the camper can close easier.

OPTION C — 4 separate units, match the same dimensions of the camper units (50x40, 50x25, 25x25) … Most modular, but that might be a pain to juggle around and might feel the cracks. Could definitely do though if there’s an overwhelming consensus of YES. One bonus is that they might fit in the fitted sheets, or custom fitted sheets …

4 Likes

Is the intent of this solution to replace the existing foam toppers from GFC, or supplement them? Regardless, I would tend toward Options B or C.

In my mind, Option C provides the most benefit in keeping the modularity that I loved about the GFC in the first place, but would (hopefully) provide a more comfortable/adjustable sleeping system. Option B could also be nice and provides a little more modularity, but could remove the space used by some to store other bedding.

Option A seems to be a fairly standard option, one which exists in many different forms using solutions already on the market. I would think this could be the most “universal”, but the least unique from a GFC solution perspective.

My two cents.

2 Likes

I would definitely lean more towards C in my opinion, just based off of the fact that it leans towards the modularity of our campers that we all love so much. B would be a good option, but having to release/ inflate air when setting up and closing doesn’t entice me very much. The main thing I love so much about the GFC is how quickly I can tear down and set up camp after dealing with the RTT for the last few years, so I don’t want to sacrifice that experience in any way!

Being able to incorporate option C into possible custom sheets like you mentioned would be amazing. Having sheets in the camper really makes it feel like more of a home, so if you could incorporate a sheet idea into it or make it so it could fit into the factory covers, that would be best case scenario. And obviously, being able to close the camper without any added steps!

3 Likes

Looks like C is winning so far … Keeping the GFC versatility is key :zap:

A couple options below but I think in either case the nicest would be to not have extra blocks to shuffle around, so new fitted sheets should definitely be in the cards, at least as an option.

So …

OPTION C1 — full foam replacement. Definitely doable. We go all out with a 3-4" mattress to replace the 2" foam, keep it very lux (maybe it’s dual density foam in the inflatable). We can even toss the idea to GFC to have a foam delete option when ordering a camper to save a little coin. Have optional fitted sheets that fit it all nicely.

OPTION C2 — Keep the GFC foam as a base, but we have 2" inflatable memory foam toppers the same size as the base units. Optional fitted sheets (maybe more secure than elastic) to cover the combo unit and keep it all together.

1 Like

Option C1 sounds the best to me. I really do like the ability to climb in and out of the floor and I often do this when sleeping alone but ultimately a good night’s rest with a comfortable mattress is most important to me.

2 Likes

Given that I now have my camper, and in an effort to reduce additional waste, I would go with Option C2. C1 sounds like a great option if you’re able to work directly with GFC as some sort of replacement, or the ability to just delete their foam pads as an option.

1 Like

C1! I’ve managed to avoid buying too many extras for my camper so far, but this is one that I would happily spend on.

2 Likes

I think C1. I did the 1" foam top on the existing mattress and it didn’t help much for me. I also tried to replace the entire mattress with a 4" foam mattress and the camper bowed up in the middle and the tent wouldn’t fit as nice inside, making certain areas get cinched and cause wear.

Definitely want to keep the individual squares but need something more comfortable.

3 Likes

Maybe C1 (replace the foam) but keeping it to 3" might be the ticket? In the end it’s only 1" thicker so it doesn’t bow the camper, but more support and adjustable to your own comfort. And the GFC fitted sheets miiiight just work, but I’ll have to check on that when I work on prototypes. I’d have to replace the grey covers for the 50x25 and 25x25 that keep the honeycomb and foam together but that shouldn’t be too hard to include with the replacement mattresses.

The trick is also seeing if there’s enough interest for this to actually be viable for our small startup! Gotta sell more hoverquilts to fund our new developments!

6 Likes