What's your bedding setup?

That doesn’t seem nuts to me. We want to spend 10% of our time in the GFC and aren’t getting any younger so would be worth it. I keep trying to get over the GFC mattress, and like firm beds, but jeez it’s hard. One thing to keep in mind would be how the material reacts in cold Temps, if it turns into a brick like memory foam it would be a deal breaker.

3 Likes

That price point is reasonable

Definitely seems reasonable to me!

That seems like a fair price to me. When you compare to the price of buying a different brand sleeping pad, it’s right at the same price point, or even less.

1 Like

That price seems reasonable to me.

I would be interested at that price point as my family
is looking for a softer mattress option. Though I have my reservations due to the mattress potentially being dependent on air. My experience with air mattress camping with a dog and toddler are not good. I am not familiar with inflatable memory foam and hoping someone can expand on the durability and longevity.

sounds like a deal to me. more comfort would make me want to spend more time sleeping in it. Do a comforter mattress deal for $650 winner winner chicken dinner

3 Likes

I like the way you think, @blackhearse!

@bbeyota I know exactly what you mean! Luckily we’ve got 4 wild kiddos and an 18 mo. puppy (perfect product testers). We’ve been prototyping other sleeping pads with the same construction that I’ll probably use on these pods. They’ve held up really well so far (more durable fabric than most “backpacking / car camping” mattresses). Worst case scenario we’ve even slept on these when deflated, and the foam is still pretty dang comfy. But we’d absolutely offer easy repair patches and warranties for peace of mind!

@TearingOut55 that is a great point to keep in mind about memory foam. This specific foam I’ll spec out is technically in between memory foam and more common polyurethane foam. It’s more dense, offering a better “resiliance” than traditional foam, but without the drawbacks of full on memory foam like you mentioned. We’ll definitely need to test along the way!

@blackhearse I dig your way of thinking! Bundles for the win!

4 Likes

Reasonable price. On board for the modularity.

I’m in on the Modular pad set up, do it!

@AERONAUT - Another option that works really well is two shorty pads. If they were 25" x 50" you could store them sideways when the camper floor is open, and slide them forward when needing access to the hatch panels. My experience has been that you don’t really need a full lenght pad, especially when placed on top of the foam cushions. Just a thought.

3 Likes

Yes puhleeeze! But I am amazed how GFC was able to make concrete slabs so lightweight :wink:

2 Likes

I support GFC’s efforts in locally sourced products. I will continue with that proof of concept in whatever add-ons I purchase for my build. I have always believed in buy local first. I have no interest supporting big box efforts squeezing locally sourced and produced products. Good luck in your endeavors.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing that! I’m also incredibly inspired by GFC and all they’ve done. I’m friends with many at that crew and have worked with them on several projects over the past few years. They’re stoked on this new startup. By the way I dig your taco and the rad color with the camper!

I hope you know that I’m just about the furthest from a “big box”. I’ve worked at a few smaller and larger brands in the outdoor industry over the years - all have their pros and cons. I’m doing my very best to use the highest quality constructions I know through experience. I make a lot of my accessories here in-house (aero straps available January for example). :call_me_hand:

But speaking of making more locally, I’d love to swing that. For the quilts and level of manufacturing technicality they require, that can’t happen yet because there’s not a factory to approach here in the US. I’ve looked at it and with about 6 - 7$M I can probably set up my own factory. With sleeping pads / mattresses, I may be able to for about 3/4 that since it’s a more automated system, but right now I’m working with quite a bit less 0’s. :sweat_smile:

I hope you understand that - in the end I’m just here to brainstorm together some cool new ideas to help us all sleep better outside.

6 Likes

The two shorty’s is definitely a solid way to go, nice and modular! And super comfy with the right ones

2 Likes

This is what most people don’t realize. I think it’s great what you’re trying to accomplish.

6 Likes

posted from a phone made from globally sourced stuff and most likely none came from the USofA… just saying

So what’s your point exactly? Because he has a phone made in china he shouldn’t support local when he can?

I took it as him saying he buys local first and try’s to support USA made products. If he has a phone made overseas (like everyone) he is still doing what’s right a lot more than most.

4 Likes

i’m still trying to figure out how why locally sourced was important to bring up