What's your kitchen setup?

Making satisfying meals while camping in the GFC is cool stuff.

Peace.

3 Likes

I’m really just playin. I’m in the thread to see the cool kitchens too.

1 Like

I am not going to lie, eating is a huge part of my camping routine. So we have a 60" slide out draw that pulls out from under my sons bed.

8 Likes

:astonished: this is an incredible setup. Where is the drawer from?

I built it using 3/4 plywood and is mouted using the same slides that @corneahusker shared above.

7 Likes

I just posted my kitchen drawer setup here.

9 Likes

Did you build yours or did you buy it from somewhere?

kitchencrate

I use a milk crate to store spices, oil, popcorn, foil, pans, plates, and tongs. The lid of the crate is plywood and I use it to go under the butane stove or cutting board.

Separately, I have a cheap butane stove in a nylon bag (could use a wind screen tbh), a Dometic fridge, and a small garbage can. My tailgate is covered in marine plywood.

This is simple, effortless, and takes up very little space. It’s not super organized or anything but neither am I. I do dream about a pull-out setup but don’t like the space tradeoffs. The more I use the GFC, the more I want simple and reliable above all else.

5 Likes

Absolutely agree. I know its all about personal experience, but the last thing i want to do when im out camping is to cook.
There are so many awesome things to do and experience, for me cooking is just a hassel and waste of those precious moments.

I prep as much as i can before i go (usually a week of food for the 3 of us) and then go to packaged until i absolutely must cook and even then id perfer to just buy cold cuts and make sabdwiches

Cooking sucks.

Cooking doesn’t suck. Maybe you just suck at cooking? No offense, honestly, its not for everyone and I’m definitely no chef even at home, but for some of us cooking and eating a delicious meal out of the back of your truck is one of those precious moments.

I do prefer a quick and easy breakfast and lunch during the day so try not to spend much time cooking for those meals, but after a long day of surfing or logging a ton of miles on a hike or on the dirt bike there’s nothing like eating a nice steak by the fire. Which in my opinion is one of the quickest, easiest and tastiest meals that doesn’t require a fancy kitchen setup. Add in some asparagus or some other veggies and a bagged Caesar salad and boom.

I have a 50qt ARB Fridge and I keep all my kitchen stuff in a small tote and usually do most of my cooking on a propane Weber grill or my MSR Pocket Rocket. That doesn’t take up a ton of space and I can leave it all at home for quick trips where I wont be cooking. One of these days I’m going to take my Ooni Pizza oven out because how cool would it be to have a fresh pizza while in the middle of the desert?

The biggest hassle with cooking for me is the clean up, which is why I try to prep as much as I can at home and stick to simple meals for less trash and stuff to clean. I do have a 13 gallon water tank from Ironman4x4 with a 12v pump and sprayer that I use to wash stuff off and take showers, etc.

3 Likes

Pizza…let me know time and place!

My thought process is super similar to you. I like to keep breaky and lunch simple with yogurt and berries and sandwiches and then do a little more elaborate dinner.

For me the key is easy cleanup, then truck cooking is great. It also relaxing and therapeutic to me to cook out in nature.

3 Likes

Agreed. As i said, its all about personal preference and experience.
Personally, i hate cooking, there are few tasks in life that feel more like a waste of time to me. Im good at it, even at homd i just perfer to cook huge portions all at once and freeze much of it so i dont have to do it often.

Then esoecially when i am out and about and could be doing fun things or soending wuality time I would absolutely hate to waste that time cooking when i could be out exploring or being productive.
For me food is just a nescesary means for me to engage in my next activity.
No joy in food, just calories.

Plus not having kitchen tools/gadgets abd just a cooler saves a ton of space in the truck!

To each their own. My kitchen stays at home and my truck “kitchen” is just my cooler.

1 Like

because you don’t know how… coming from chef of 25 years

4 Likes

No, it has nothing to do with knowledge or skill.
Its desire/priorities.

Cooking time isnt enjoyable time, id rather be doing something fun or valuable.

That is like telling someone who says “cleaning sucks” that they just dont clean right.

Its personal preference, i truly do not enjoy the activity because i couldnt care less about the outcome.
Food is fuel in my book, nothing more.

Some may enjoy it, that is fine. I dont enjoy it, id rather use my time for more valuable activities.

life is better in a McDonald’s drive through…

1 Like

Love cooking, or think cooking sucks, who cares! Either way, everyone still wants to SEE everybody’s kitchen setup. Pictures, guys, pictures! :smiley:

I’ve gotten so many good ideas from this forum, I hope to get many more, especially in the kitchen department.

I am personally really, really excited to see how @Manateeboi 's kitchen build comes out. The idea of drop-down, slide out really appeals to me.

5 Likes

Built it.

You rang!?

Here are some final shots of the build :call_me_hand:
Holler if you have any questions!

13 Likes

Here’s our setup in the first gen tacoma. The 60" drawer was a tight fit in the double cab, but holds all of our kitchen stuff and dry food storage. Prep work on the mountain hatch panel. Fridge stays in on over-nighters, or out if we’re posted up for a bit. We primarily cook on an old lodge cast iron combo cooker either on the stove or fire. Have a fairly detailed guide for the drawer/sleeping platform build here if anyone’s keen to adapt it to their setup.

4 Likes