Wind deflector

Hello,
new to the group, I just ordered a GFC for my Tacoma . I’m curious if anyone has any feedback on wind deflectors on the front of a roof rack, are they just deflecting wind over the rack or do they actually help with drag on the camper ?

There are some discussions on that topic already on this forum that actually have some data. That said, I had a Sherpa Animas rack installed on my access cab just before my GFC install, and installed the small Roam case. I like the look, it gives me storage for traction boards and camp chairs, and it looks to me like it might help with air flow. It isn’t loud with wind noise. But I have no before/after comparison. I’d go the same route again, and if you have a double cab (like most folks) the Animas install is really easy.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! Here’s my deflector (48 inch/INNO Brand) mounted to the front rail of my Gen 2. I can’t prove it scientifically, but I think it improves aerodynamics by directing airflow up and over the camper. ETA: It also quiets-down the noise of air flowing over the front rail.

1 Like

The Sherpa Animas is the one I want, the rep said a 30" will fit my access cab because i have the long bed, the camper overhang is just 22" I know holes will have to be drilled but it should would look nice with the camper, thank you for your input!

Thats rack looks good with the camper, does it go under the overhang?

Yes. It is the stock Toyota roof rack.

1 Like

That’s what I have, a 30" on a 2022 access cab. I had it installed because of the drilling. I would highly recommend having it installed prior to the GFC install. Drilling those rear holes with the camper on would significantly increase the difficulty and make it more likely to hit an airbag because you couldn’t see as well how it was going. If you want any other up close photos let me know. The small Roam roof box fits nicely with a height about 1/2" below the top of the beef bars. That was also important to me because I wanted to be able to haul longer lumber.

1 Like

I installed the Martin offroad half rack in front of my GFC (build 4482) and optioned the wind deflector too. After the GFC was installed I noticed a near zero impact on mpg and little to no wind noise from the roof rack or the camper. Before my GFC, I had a Rhino rack flat top on the truck and it was much noisier than my current setup. I am extremely pleased with my setup. Hope this helps!

1 Like

Great, I think I will get one after I get my GFC installed, thanks for the info

30” Sherpa Animas on an ‘06 ACLB.
The air deflection from the rack’s faring makes a huge difference both in in-cab noise and how the truck handles head winds. I have a bunch of experience installing custom roof racks for a shop in Bozeman, and this was a straight forward install… on my 06. I would definitely recommend taking your time or getting it installed professionally to avoid the things like hitting airbags, punching holes in your headliner, etc., otherwise, I highly recommend the rack.

2 Likes

Thant would be my exact setup , I also have the access cab and that’s the same rack I like, thanks for sharing

1 Like

Did you have your Animas installed before or after the GFC? My Animas rack was installed first. Just curious if it’s possible to install GFC first?

1 Like

I thought I might get the rack installed first but I noticed in the purchase confirmation e-mail from GFC, it says in the disclosure that you cannot have a roof rack on your truck before installation of the camper

I had an off-the-shelf front runner fairing for a while. The size and angle made it more of a speed brake than anything else. I upgraded to a larger custom one. There was much less wind noise and best as I can tell a small improvement in mileage. Here’s my build thread detailing both if you’re interested:

1 Like

I had the GFC for around two years before I installed the Animas. I was able to lift the camper by myself and slide it back about 8-10” to gain the clearance to drill and insert the rivnuts. I stood in the bed to raise the camper, and moving it around was easy enough, but getting the seals realigned while lifting it was tedious. Altogether, it took about two hours.

The dealer said I could use a 30” with the GFC, did you install a longer one that gos under the camper?

The rear bolts of my 30" Animas are under the front of the camper. When I had my GFC installed last year they indicated that the Sherpa Animas could be in place during the install…and my GFC install went flawlessly. I went back and checked my “Camper Install Appointment Confirmation” email and it did indicate that " * No aftermarket truck cab racks (Prinsu, FrontRunner, etc.)." but I got in contact with them and Thomas Rhines responded “The Sherpa Animas rack is the only rack we allow at the time of install so you can totally bring it in with that already installed!”. I’d check with GFC to confirm that it is still okay to have the Animas in place when they install the GF, but if there is anyway they still allow it you definitely want the Animas installed first!!!

1 Like

Thants good information, I was hoping I could get it installed first, I will check with the GFC installer in Denver to make sure, thank you!

1 Like

My GFC was installed in Belgrade but hopefully it won’t make a difference.

1 Like