Wind Fairing - Front Runner Outfitters Experience

This looks like a great setup. I have a 2020 Tundra and of course have noticed loss of mpg, so am thinking of a fairing. Noise hasn’t seemed to be an issue. I’ll have to measure but I’m thinking this may be a bit short on the Tundra since it looks like it fits perfectly on the Taco. Any other fairings out there to try for a Tundy?

Front Runner does have a 1475mm / 58” wind fairing that could easily work.

Just installed the Front Runner low profile fairing (1345mm/1425mm) on my 2018 Tacoma. Went low profile and shorter because of the sun roof. It steepens the angle so we’ll see how this plays out. Also used the felt tape suggested above.

Added this after my install last week. Drove up from Denver to Belgrade and averaged ~18.5mpg. Added the GFC and averaged ~14.5mpg on the way back. I know we don’t get trucks for gas mileage but if a simple fix is a fairing, I’ll give it a shot.

Thanks for the recommendations and photos in this thread!

4 Likes

This looks great. How does it work when you open the camper? Doesn’t the fairing angle down as the camper opens and drive into the roof of the truck?

That’s a great feature of the GFC, the front track face stays still and vertical when the hinge opens the tent.

2 Likes

Take a closer look next time you open the camper… That mysterio hinge :eyes:

2 Likes

No expert as mine is still on order… but it seems that if you open your camper your fairing my come unattached or crushed…
I dont honestly know, but was curious…

It’s a neat hinge. Graham shows it off about 2:20 into the V2 platform camper video.

4 Likes

I happily stand corrected. Thanks for sharing that video.

Stays in the same position.

1 Like

Thanks for the responses, didn’t realize that. GFC continuing to impress!

I found a great use for my Front Squeaky Runner fairing - I just received my Colorado Fairing today, and bolted it to the Front Runner.

Joking aside, the Front Runner was quick and relatively inexpensive off Amazon, and took care of GFC wind-whistling. I used it as-is for the first year I had my GFC. But the sqeaking was really annoying, and the drag was not much less probably, as on my F-150 Lightning, was barely slanted,

The Colorado is much more expensive, as it was custom made to my measurements and has a custom wrap on it, came to about $529. My Colorado Fairing is 12" wide, 55" at the bottom, 59" at the top, with a “reverse smile”, to match the GFC and top of the F-150. Can be ordered in stock sizes a lot cheaper. It is made of Polypropylene if I remember correctly. So it is kind of light. But the Front Runner is made of aluminum, so is relatively heavy. And for and efficiency expert like me {LAZY!}, I liked the idea of not taking off the Front Runner, which is mounted rock-solid.

So what I did, was put the GFC up, get the Colorado where I wanted it, and then with a piece of wood on top of the roof to protect it, I pulled the Front Runner up to the Colorado, and just drilled through the holes on the Colorado, through the Front Runner, and bolted it on. Did the 2 outside holes first, then the inside.

Worked like a charm. The squeaky Front Runner is no longer resting on the roof, and helps weigh down the Colorado. I tested it at 85 mph, and no problems popping up.

For those interested: https://www.cofairingco.com/

On top of the FrontRunner

Original Front Runner

2 Likes

Looks great—did you have to use the T-nut mounting hardware from GFC or could you use the hardware Front Runner provided ?

T-nuts from GFC. Added a washer to create the right spacing but was pretty straight forward. I actually upgraded to a Martin Off-road rack and the wind fairing is just laying around in my garage now. You want it? Just cover shipping and it’s all yours.

That is a very nice offer! Do you mean the Colorado/Frontrunner combo fairing is just laying in your garage right now? Or just the Front Runner? Either way, def interested! Thanks!

Here is my custom solution. @FTR86 how much bump up on the Lightning range did you get with the CO Fairing?

2 Likes

Hey,
Do you still have the fairing laying around? I’m interested in buying the Colorado custom fairing and bolting it to my front runner like you previously had done.
Please let me know. Thanks!

I didn’t really notice any range bump. But it’s way more awesome!

Same here - GFC Tnuts and a washer or so.

I now have one that I am not using, I replaced it with a Colorado Custom Fairing option, let me know if you want it, $50 plus shipping, thanks!