Winterization of Tacoma GFC V2

Got finished creating a portable heater this week. The Espar B2AS2 (gas) with a thermostat wired and duct running into the camper shell. Installed in a 1557 air pelican case. Long time in considering the final location of the box but a relatively easy installation! Kicks out a lot of hot air. Had the thermostat reading 82° trialing it on the first night!

9 Likes

How much fuel does that thing consume if you were to use it overnight? I just spent a very cold week in my camper and have been looking at getting that same heater but the diesel version.

1 Like

I’m also assuming you don’t have insulation up to so you basically run the thing non-stop… But correct me if I’m wrong.

1 Like

I’m curious what the controls are like. Did you have to run wires inside or do you have a wireless control?

1 Like

This is a great idea!!! Now I might want a roof rack. :wink:

1 Like

Nice setup! What are you using to pass through your panel? PVC bulkhead style fitting?

1 Like

So far not very much! Maybe about a half a liter. There is a schedule feature on the thermostat that allows you to schedule off and on times throughout the night so it doesn’t run continuously. The diesel version I believe has the same fuel consumption capacity, if not a bit better

1 Like

Correct on the insulation. Still really not too shabby given a few mods. Recently I added this additional section to the ducting. This leads the hot air right into the upper deck

1 Like

Yess I had to run wires from my house battery to the unit. I had a shop in my local area help with the electrical. Basically the wires are run so that when it comes time for spring I can pull the chords through into the truck bed to tuck them away. Hence that grey weather flange circle.

The controls are great and very simple. Check out the ESPAR easy start pro

1 Like

Hey! Yes exactly. I tried looking up the exact piece online but can’t find it. Found it at Lowe’s.

1 Like

That’s pretty slick. I like that it’s an actual thermostat and not just on/off so you don’t have to guess at how much heat you’ll need.

1 Like