Wraptor 4K- 270 Degree Freestanding Vehicle Mounted Awning

Anyone have experience with a Wraptor 4K- 270 Degree Freestanding Vehicle Mounted Awning on a V2 camper? Or any other 270 awnings that can mount easily to a V2? Thanks!

2 Likes

There’s quite a few options out there, not certain of anyone running the Wraptor but there are definitely people running all kinds of 270 awnings on their gfc. IMO, the main thing to get with any 270 would be a special bracket for the rear overhang that Matt Kinsmen sells. His awning is pretty badass too, If a little spendy. But isn’t everything a little spendy in this game…

https://www.kinsmenhardware.com/awning

2 Likes

Heres that bracket!

2 Likes

I’ll be looking in to them for sure. Thanks

1 Like

I have the Wraptor 270 on a V2. Two GFC brackets were all I needed, its only about half the weight of a Kinsman and doesn’t extend back as far.

5 Likes

Looks great! I thought the raptors were freestanding? Does it do ok in the wind, rain, etc?

1 Like

Set up is freestanding but legs are usually needed. I live where the desert meets the mountains so wind is a constant.

1 Like

Check out posts by @AlexaB. He’s got a really sexy rear mount for the alu-cab. It’s expensive but he’s a damn nice guy and I highly recommend him. He might be able to make one for your awning too.

I’m hoping to install mine today. I needed to conscript another person to hold the damn thing up while I tighten the bolts! If I get it done I’ll post some pics.

4 Likes

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing it!

I run the wraptor on my V1 with 2 brackets and it’s perfect! I’m in nw Montana and i have used it in rain and light snow without the poles no problem! Strings winds would be a concern but light breezes seem to be fine

7 Likes

I purchased an OVS 270 Nomadic awning. I was able to mount it using 3 of the GFC Universal Brackets on the driver side of our V1 GFC Camper. It doesn’t require any hardware at the rear of the camper. There is a lot of options out there and most of them are very similar. The Kinsmen Hardware and the Alu-Cab awnings are definitely more robust, but lead times or availability are tough and they are more expensive. I would have preferred to get a Kinsmen, but couldn’t justify the price difference.

2 Likes

I’ve been looking at the OVS as well. I also have a hard time justifying the price difference. But to be fair I haven’t personally tried either of them. The kinsmen does look sturdier. Are you happy with the OVS? Holds up in the wind and rain? Hows the setup? Thanks for the response!

Don’t suppose you have any pics of it setup on your rig that you could share?

I think I have some pics from our recent trip to St. George. It was super windy for that trip so we used the poles and staked it down. There was a couple days with 40+ wind and one day that had 70mph gusts. We didn’t use the awning for those days as we were rarely at camp long enough, but it does fine in 20-30 if you stake it down. Any of these awnings are basically sails attached to your pickup and I’d be careful with strong wind regardless what you purchase. We haven’t experienced any rain yet, but I’ve seen a few YouTube videos that show it does well with rain. (using the extra guy wires to pull the canvas down slightly in between poles to allow the water to run off) I’ve been pretty lazy taking photos, as that’s my day job and when I’m camping, I just ride my bike and drink beer. Once I’m finished building my drawer slide, I’m going to do a little IG Story walk-around. My setup is nothing crazy, it’s just geared towards convenience to make getting out of town a bit easier.

1 Like

I think the designs between the two are pretty similar. I was a bit skeptical of the OVS because it was so much less money than the Kinsmen. But, it’s well-built. I would imagine any of the awnings that use the legs will be just fine. The Kinsmen is the toughest awning I’ve seen, but do you really need it to be that strong? If so, that justifies the price. For us, we couldn’t justify the difference. I think you’ll be happy with a Wraptor or an OVS. The poles are not really a problem, IMO.

2 Likes

Sounds like we have a few things in common, haha. Thanks for taking the time to give me some details. Very helpful! After its setup, is there a gap between the rear of the camper and the awning? I’d like to be able to cook on the tailgate if its raining. Some pics I’ve seen look like there may be about a 4" gap.

1 Like

Yes, there is a gap, but the back hatch is open and fills it. I haven’t used it in the rain yet. But, I think it will be okay as the rain will run off the side of the rear hatch. Maybe I’ll intentionally lean the vehicle to Port so it doesn’t interfere with our cook setup. (drip the water off one driver side of the hatch) The one thing to note is if you’re using Shittco’s blocks for the back flap, you might want to allow a slightly larger rear gap to clear the pole from the Shittco block. I’ve been procrastinating moving my awning slightly more aft to allow for this. Since the hatch rests up against the awning when both are open, I don’t think having a slightly larger gap will be a problem.

1 Like

The Wraptor install was easy and quick on the v2 using the gfc brackets. Can’t find a single thing to complain about with the awning itself and those brackets are solid. Go for it

5 Likes

I purchased the OVS awning as well, and for the same reasons. Anyhow, would you (@MFMG ) mind posting a pix or two of the awning? Do you happen to know the weight? Any additional info would help.

Sorry for the slow reply. From what I remember, the package was rated at 80 pounds. I installed it myself, but would be much easier with a buddy. Here’s the only photos I have, pretty sad for a professional photographer, I don’t shoot much when I’m not working.

I would suggest mounting the awning as high up as possible to allow headroom. I’m 6’1" and I just barely clear the driver side panel when the awning is open. Very happy with the awning. I am not brave enough to leave it open when not at camp unless it is staked down. We were in St. George in March and had a crazy 70mph wind storm. I did not attempt to open it until the forecast had the wind back in the 20-30 range. It’s pretty solid in a decent breeze with just the poles extended, but I’d be careful in strong winds.I also use one of the guy wires to hold the rear tent flap open.

3 Likes