Frozen door latches

Hey @Espinoza700 - thanks very much for doing this!
Had some printed up and they have been working for a few weeks now.
Installed on a Standard V2 (Tacoma long bed).
They are mounted with your original idea of the smaller ones at the back door.
I did test the larger ones back there and they also work.
Haven’t done any really rough roads yet but long highway drives in pouring rain and things stayed put.
Cheers!

1 Like

Hello @Espinoza700 and @PRob
I can confirm that the side cover/backing will fit on the rear of a standard V2 built for a Tacoma long bed.
Cheers

1 Like

Here’s another cover option that I think should work. It actually replaces the latch gasket. The Alu-Cab latch is not exactly the same as what GFC uses (not Southco), but I think it is close enough that it should work. Alu-Cab Push Button Lock Cover (Each) ALUA-PB-COV

1 Like

Brilliant, I wonder if the dimensions are correct. Might just have to order one to find out.

2 Likes

I think it might be worth a try. :slight_smile:

I posted this on a different topic just adding this to the conversation this has worked brilliantly for me took care of a number of issues upgrading the existing mechanism.

Southco solution that worked for me

1 Like

Definitely one of the most knuckle smacking aspects of the design!

2 Likes

I just picked up my camper last week…the thing I find the most annoying is why is the damn key so hard to get into the actual key hole?

I did spray with dry lube lock too. Typically use this on ski racks in winter and solves a lot of issues.

3 Likes

I’ve found after a few months use it becomes easier as the tumbler gets worn. I have a habit of only locking one latch (which is the same I did on my topper) so I’ve noticed that the ones I use frequently are easier for sure.

Interesting and good to know…I was just getting annoyed that the key is so hard to even push in…maybe it’ll break in with use.

1 Like

I just bought these covers from https://sewverlander.com and hope they resolve the frozen latch issue.
Has anyone had any luck with them? I will be installing mine today and hope for the best.

2 Likes

Nice, I just ordered mine this AM.

I’ve been waiting since since last spring to give them a good freezing and snow and ice but they seem like they will be very capable. it snowing right now. guess I’ll go put them on

1 Like

Got mine from on Wednesday and used them this weekend in the snow camping! Worked great!

2 Likes

Does anyone know if the covers from sewverlander fit a V1 GFC?

easy enough to find that out @Rattler

Hey @MT_Taco18 they are specific to the V2. I have a design for the V1. I’m just waiting on magnets and then I can print some prototypes to test. I hope to have a set ready by mid to late Dec.

@blackhearse thanks for getting the right people involved!

@Rattler Right on, glad to hear it’s a work in progress. Look forward to an update once complete - if you need a V1 tester let me know :wink:

2 Likes

@MT_Taco18 thank you. I’ll let you know.

I just started printing @Espinoza700 design today. THANKS! Will report back once I get it installed, just waiting on magnets and EPDM foam for it.
Originally printed it in PLA fillament material; no issues other than my print settings. First one had a brim which I didn’t like, second one came out great without the brim. Going to reprint this in PETG going forward

If anyone wants the original first articles for the rear door I printed out, PM me. Free plus shipping.

-Ron

2 Likes