Weatherizing Update

My old tent was dry in that corner, so im thinking i can fix it with shoe goo like i did then. Will give it a try and see on the next rain whenever that is here in socal.

2 Likes

If anyone has done the weatherization kit and still has leaking I recommended you open a new service request with GFC. They need to know and in my experience they will take further action to make it right. I had a complete tent replacement last month but am in a drier climate so dont know yet if it solved everything (sure hope so).

4 Likes

100% agree that we all can help them track ongoing issues! I’ll be getting my tent replaced in February. Only waiting since we already had a trip planned up to MT.

2 Likes

Update on my tent (picked up April 21, 2022). GFC sent out some more bulb seal for the corners, but doesn’t keep water out. I had some sand on and around the roof of the RTT after a trip I took a couple of weeks ago and noticed it inside the tent after the next rain.

It appears to being entering from this interior corner (rear, driver, upper corner). I’m going to search for some silicone-type material and seal up the gaps on the roof of the tent.

Here is a video of my tent after the most recent rain. I removed all bedding before the rain to make sure the tent was closing properly. Go Fast Camper Water Intrusion - YouTube

1 Like

Wahooo. Thats alot of water.
I’d imagine you deflate you sleeping pad before you close it right?
Wondering why some folks have issues and others dont?

Sorry to hear @Tyler-Kai … whats your next step?

I deflate it completely by rolling it up and then laying it flat again, then check that there isn’t any bulging on the roof and the side rails are nice and closed. The pictures I just posted of the empty tent are from this weekend and I had nothing in the tent - learned my lesson…

The wet mattress was from the rain we had about 3 weeks ago. I’ve removed it until a solution is figured out. GFC is painfully slow to offer support. about 2-4 weeks between responses but I also have to wait for the rain to test any changes.

I just went out and bought some more flex glue and am planning to fill these gaps in the roof where I believe water could be intruding, although I’ve been told by GFC these gaps are intentionally left open and water shouldn’t get into the tent from here.

1 Like

I’m starting to think there might be a market for a PVC cover like other RTTs. I know it shouldn’t be like that but… wet bed or stoopid cover?

2 Likes

I don’t think it should be this way but… I recall reading somewhere that GFC does NOT recommend removing the mattress pads long term. When the pads are not there the tent material will lay flat and water can get in through the sides of the clamshell. When you have the mattresses in there it forces the tent material to stay vertical and helps keep water out.

Hope that makes sense. I wish this was not the case as I would like to take my mattress pads out through the time I’m not camping but it seems they help keeping water out in the rainy part of the country I live in.

2 Likes

So my lifted Gladiator doesn’t fit in the garage anymore with the GFC…its been outside here in Colorado through rain storms, and now snow storms - never had any water get inside the tent. I also drove through hours of hard rain on my way home from Bozeman when I picked up the GFC, no water intrusion from that either. Lastly, I’ve also never had any water intrusion from washing the Jeep at a self carwash with a power sprayer…I spray down the GFC pretty good and have never had any water get in the tent from that either.

Not sure why some people have this issue and others don’t. I do have a newer build (#4121) and have not done any additional sealing.

3 Likes

Interesting… Never heard this, but makes sense. I definitely won’t take the original pads out… I added the overland softgoods 1" topper for the pads, hope that helps keep water out even more.

Peace.

Thanks for the reply, and I wish I could believe that to be true, but that’s not the case with my tent. Even with the mattress inside, the tent gets plenty of water in it. I would rather not ruin a mattress.

That’s hopeful to hear that there are tents that don’t get wet - this was my assumption all along that this tent I have is an anomaly. @phantomchameleon would you be willing to take and post some pictures of the these locations so we can compare builds?

1 Like

I have build #1670 and haven’t had any leaks either. I can try to get some pics for you

3 Likes

Yeah, I will try and get some photos in the next day or two - getting ready to travel for Christmas so things are kinda crazy but should be able to take some photos!

that would be great, thanks @fatfurious2 !

Update: I spoke with the GFC folks today and they’re making some great suggestions and helping me isolate the problem. Although the back and forth has been slow, it is top quality customer service.

2 Likes

Checked out the camper after the horrible Portland weather to find some water inside. Tent seems to be pretty dry but back corners are definitely leaking. Build #3684 which should have all the weatherization updates. This is the first sign of water intrusion so far.

I’m also in Portland. I haven’t checked with the recent rains but would be happy to show you the GFC directed sealing I did on mine to see if it would make a difference for you. Last time I checked a few weeks ago it was dry. Build 2868 for me.

2 Likes

I’d definitely be interested! I’m planning to open up a service request once they’re back in shop and I’ll follow up.

1 Like