Weatherizing Update

Man I am jealous of the dry tent! So far the wet tent is all we’ve gotten to experience with our GFC.

Haha yeah the maverick is awesome. Ill throw a quick picture down here and would be happy to share more if you’re curious!

5 Likes

:drooling_face: if only there was a 2 door option with a 2.7 Ecoboost and real 4WD #minitrucklove

3 Likes

Nope you’re not the only one ,out of the thousands of tents sold this does seem to come up and GFC seems to take care of everything. That being said I did do my own inspection when I first got mine almost 2 years ago and I did do some seam sealing in areas that I thought would have potential problems. If you look at some of my posts I’m a lifelong backpacker turned Overland. I’ve been in plenty of rain with this tent and wind driven rain I’ve always been high and dry.

7 Likes

I’ve had mine for a year now, and have not experienced the zipper sponge. Condensation like crazy, but not had rain effect anything.

My install was Feb 11, 2022 and have been staying dry through numerous rain storms both camping with the tent open and parked with the tent closed. Until yesterday. We had over 3” of rain over 24 hours, 25mph sustained winds and gusting winds up to 45mph. I opened up the topper and checked in the bed area only to find a fair amount of water in the bed and my dog’s water bowl was full (it sits in the corner near the tailgate). When I popped the tent, the three modular pieces and the fixed piece Overlandsoftgoods sheets and 1” foam bed toppers were dripping wet. Spent a good amount of time drying out the tent and truck bed today, laundering the sheet and hanging the foam in the garage to dry. Not sure where all the different ingress points for that much water in the tent and truck bed. More rain this week so will be investigating the GFC for leaks this week.

2 Likes

Very disconcerting.
It’s been raining here in north Georgia for two weeks straight. My bed area mostly just leaks around the tailgate area, but I am super anxious to open the tent and check my sheets and topper. More rain in our forecast this week though. :frowning:

We had more rain today and expecting it overnight, no wind tonight which gives me the comparative of high winds with rain versus no wind with rain.

Mine also has the leaking issue only on the passenger side. My camper has the weatherization upgrades to it already to. Not sure why it only leaks on the passenger side but after every rain storm I gotta open it up and dry out the tent pain the ass. I love the idea of the GFC but not sure how long I’ll keep it if there’s no real fix to water intrusion

Passenger side where? Front, back, or entire area?

Entire area it was went from front to back on the lower portion of the tent this last time I opened it up. It doesn’t seem to pool with water but just be damp when I open it up

I get water in the back passenger corner but I’ve been speaking with GFC and they think they’ve got an idea of what it is and are working on re-engineering something. Thinking the rear extrusion needs better drainage.

My drive way is flat so it always in the same corner. Maybe the same culprit for you and running down the track? Just spit balling ideas.

2 Likes

Sadly I am experiencing the same thing, and this is after a new tent install only a week ago. We just had a few good storms roll thru the la area and was a good chance to see what would soak.
Yesterday I opened up my tent at work to find the rear passenger square wet, the flannel sheet damp to the touch, and the whole rail facing it was wet. I park on a flat spot, so not sure if that is aiding or hindering the water drainage, but there is def not enough going on.
Sending in a service form today

1 Like

That is kind of the same as mine. I think GFC knows and is working on some potential solutions. Had a good FaceTime with them a few weeks back.

That are actively trying.

1 Like

Maybe, mine has the extra holes drilled in it already. I did have to remove the rear extrusion to fix the rear keeder cord and water drained out of the extrusion holes the bolts go into to hold it in place

Exactly. That is the spot they are talking about that is being worked on, I think.

Seeing this thread come back to life, plus GFC’s recommendation to air out the tent weekly, caused me to go out and open up mine since it’s not raining in Portland currently. I’m happy to report a dry tent. Woot!

I did a bunch of sealing at the direction of GFC last Spring shortly after I got my camper. So far so good.

Good luck all, leaks are super frustrating.

5 Likes

@the_philxx it was done at their new orange location. They spent a lot of extra time bringing my tent up to the current version of production, but its still missing the keder core set screws my brother has on his newer build. It’s leaking in the only place the tent doesn’t go down in to the keder and corner. The rest seam to be tucked in nice and tight.

@the_philxx so my tent was doing the same thing I believe, it doesn’t look like a leak more than a lot of condensation buildup, just surprised to see enough condensation to wet the sheet in that corner. Not sure though, will have to do your version of a leak test with colored water

That’s interesting. After two weeks of intense rain I was able to inspect my tent area and the only damp spot was the rear passenger square.
I always park up hill for rain because the tailgate area leaks.
I can deal with that amount of water ingress considering the weather. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes