Weatherizing Update

Yes they have been updated

1 Like

All Campers leaving the facility have been updated with the new improvements. With the camper being built the week before or the week of installation (we cannot store campers so we build them based off of your selected install dates, which is why we hold customers accountable for those) that means everything done to improve the camper up to the week of pick up has been done!

9 Likes

Has anyone had issues with bugs / bees / hornets nesting in the new drain holes? Or better yet anyone have a fix to keep them out?

Just posting a positive update that after driving through and camping in the rain for 24 hrs I had NO water intrusion after the weatherization kit!! So stoked on the customer service and feel whole again. Kids are happy and dry so parents are happy, lol

11 Likes

Hi Calder, I picked up unit #1553 last July and love it so far. I had the hole in the right front corner which I mostly remedied by sliding the tent material along the keder cord. I still have water intrusion issues in both front corners when the rain is mid to heavy. I’m also curious about the perimeter seal being installed now. Are these available as an update kit? Do you do updates at your facility if we’re in the area? Thanks!

@ktmtacoguy if you feel comfortable installing the Weatherization Kit yourself, we can ship it to you. If you want to come to our facility and have us install it, we can do that too. Adding the perimeter seal and deploying the other measures in the kit should serve as a good countermeasure to your issue. Either way, submit a Service Request Form and we can go from there.

3 Likes

Hi Calder, thanks for the reply. How long does the update take if we come to Belgrade. We’re going to be in your area in late June (21st or 22nd most likely). Just trying to see if that works with our plans.

@ktmtacoguy you would be looking at a couple of hours (3 - 4), so that everything has time to dry and tack up. Just fill out a Service Request Form whenever you have your plans nailed down and we can go from there. We schedule warranty work Thursday - Sunday.

Has anyone tracked what truck models are experiencing this most? I get a little water in, but nothing to make the truck unusable or to really be concerned about really. I don’t get coastal downpours though. Just a thought, that maybe it’s specific to a truck model.

3 Likes

I am still working on mine after getting it last week…stay tuned to see if its fixed with the PNW rain moving back in this week. I wish GFC would do a road trip here before we hit the warm weather.

2 Likes

Is there an EDPM sealing strip between the top half of the V2 RTT and the bottom half at the outside edges?

Was up in Oregon for 5 days end of last week and headed home Monday afternoon. Got hit with plenty of heavy rain while parked in my fiancé’s sloped driveway and on the drive home. Was pleased to see there was no leakage issues at all. Dry tent, sleeping are, and dry in the truck bed.

8 Likes

I know everyone’s experience is different, but after 1.5 months of working on this GFC V2 leaking situation it just keeps getting worse and worse. And yes, to everyone who will post I followed all the steps of submitting my ticket online, worked with GFC reps, got sent the repair kits, performed the work (multiple times) and it still has leaks in the front corners and now both of my windows leak under normal rain.

As stated before everyone’s experience is different and I do not believe a GFC is a bad product. There just needs to be a quality control process (updated process) to help the unfortunate ones that slip through production. At this point if I added anymore caulk it will look like a mess. I truly am jealous of everyone’s ‘luck’ they’ve had with getting it without issues. The next hope is to somehow make it back to Montana for repairs. All and all this has been a journey and a delay to the build out of my truck. /:upside_down_face:

1 Like

Best of luck getting it sorted. I’m one of the “unlucky” ones that have had leaking issues. Working with GFC I think the issues are resolved but since it’s dry-ish season here I’m not ready to declare victory quite yet.

My girlfriend and I have been noticing some leaking in heavy rain on my V2 since we picked it up last July. This normally isn’t a big deal as we live in Northern California and don’t get a ton of rain. It became more of an issue on some trips and then it became a big issue when we were in Colorado a few weeks ago for the Pike’s Peak Hillclimb. We camped on the mountain Saturday night and we have a pretty good downpour for 2-3 hours. We experienced heavy leakage in all four corners, thankfully the rain stopped.

I emailed GFC on Monday morning when we had signal and @GFC_Support got back to me right away. We were already planning on heading to Billings, Montana after Colorado and GFC was able to fit us in the following Saturday for repairs. Simion worked on my rig and was awesome to deal with. He ultimately ended up replacing my tent (apparently I had an early style with a problem seam), the roof panel (he noticed a blister in it where the top layer was separating), did the lock to plunger update and did the drain/seal update. I had him add a couple of Beef Bars while we were in.

The process took about 5 hours which went by quickly as we kept meeting others coming in for installs, etc. It was an unfortunate occurrence but I wanted to give a huge shout out to @GFC_Support and Simion for the way they handled the situation and to GFC for standing behind the product. We love the V2 and are advocates for the brand. I regularly get asked about the camper and am happy to show it off whenever someone is interested.

Thanks again guys!

Jason Vaughan

9 Likes

Just updated my camper with the kit after noticing a little leaking. My issue was at the leading edge of the tent, it appeared water was primarily entering through gaps in the fabric. Having gone through the process and thoroughly inspected and sealed things, I can’t image any tent not eventually leaking that hasn’t had this retrofit work completed. I highly recommend all of you with earlier versions of the v2 to install this. Yes, it’s a PITA to take a couple hours to do it right but better than sleeping in a wet bed.

1 Like

Thx the_philxx I have been watching your progress for a long time you’ve been very helpful by sharing this information for all of us just want to give you a thanks

4 Likes

GFC seems to have a good Instagram game but I hear more complaints from their customers than compliments. Are people buying this product in the last 6 months happy, or is it more of the same?

I’m over 6 months in, the initial experience wasn’t great. But they came back with exemplary solutions. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE my GFC!!! It has been a game changer for me on solo trips, and with family trips as well.

There are the odd issues with quality, but generally if you follow the correct channels you get a quick response from the cats in support. I try my best to continually praise this kit, you can never please everyone. So you really have to look at your expectations.

I think some people get these because it’s a fad, and they look bad ass. Then they’re pissed that it’s not like a $300k sprinter van. A thing to remember is that these are adventure tents and meant to be lightweight and functional. It’s not a posh camper if you want one of those then look at 4Wheel campers or Scouts.

The GFC is for the DIY’er and someone that is willing to put the work in to come up with solutions. Not box shelf buyers.

I’ve had my fair share of bitch fests, but in the end, the team and company have been great!

5 Likes

I’ve had my GFC since February and am one of the unlucky folks that have had leaking issues. GFC support has been responsive and I think my issues are sorted but it’s July so I can’t say for sure as we’re not in the rainy season.

That said, I dig the camper and am happy I bought it. I agree with Phil’s comment that forums aren’t really ever presenting a super balanced view of any product. You tend to see the people having issues and the people who are super stoked, the great in between isn’t much represented.