Weatherizing Update

As a fellow Seattle resident, I’m very curious about how other PNW V2 owners are fairing when it comes to water ingress both in the RTT and the Camper.

1 Like

I’ll definitely report back when the rain hits in PDX. Just picked up my camper in June. Already had a small issue right where the rear window seal meets in light rain. Can’t wait to see when it rains for weeks on end… :frowning:

1 Like

Can you explain how it should be oriented? Mine is on the bottom middle. GFC offered to replace the entire seal but I think the issue will still occur regardless. I’m going to try a little black silicone.

2 Likes

Been having a killer road trip thru SW CO and UT and thought I was free of leaks after 3 months of ownership…

Welp got caught in an average storm this AM with top open and enjoying a dry breakfast until I climbed down below. Time to submit a ticket.

While you were enjoying said breakfast during the rain; did you have the side doors open? If so, that’s why you have water in the camper. The way the doors are designed when they’re open during rain they divert the water to the hinge and it drips down in a few spots inside the truck.

1 Like

Interesting…I had them open and closed them just as it started so maybe there was still some in the hinges? It was just a drizzle then.

Guess I’ll have to wait for another rain storm.

Still didn’t ruin our day on the river paddling though.

Edit: you mean canopy doors right? Tent only has 1 door on mine.

1 Like

Yeah you bet the canopy doors. If it was just drizzling when you put them down then maybe there’s an issue. But if it was a downpour I would definitely try it again with the doors down :smiley:

Ya it was just drizzling and then started harder after I closed them. But I’ll give it another go. Prob have 10-12 nights in it and this is the 1st issue I’ve had.

Was dripping pretty hard still though even after I shut the door. And only on passenger side. That’s when I took the photos.

Appreciate it!

1 Like

Thanks man!

Up top overnight and in the AM with the top popped it was plenty dry. It was just when I crawled down below after breakfast.

I had the sides open when it started to drizzle but closed them. So not sure what it was.

Could have been a little water in the hinges or an actual leak. I’ll pay more attention to it and also talk to the guys at GFC.

Either way a great 6 day loop in the GFC.

1 Like

Had a similar small leak in the back corners in the lower level of the truck this weekend. We were in heavy rain for about 2 hours and then a lighter steady rain for another 3. Upon inspections of the tent, it looks like there is a tiny gap where the seam of the tent connects to the lower rails. (Sorry don’t have a picture at the moment, but will upload later). Both rear corners had the same identical leak. Im going to try and put some clear caulk and cross my fingers. Overall, very pleased how it held up in the rain.

1 Like

I had the same leak on my rear corners. My was getting my cushions wet. Put some E6000 glue on them and have been dry since.

1 Like

Have had my GFC 7 months, and I love it. But rain is definitely not an issue in NV. Poof dirt, on the other hand, infiltrates everywhere BUT the tent. Yay?

Within the tent corner fabric? This is in their weatherization videos.

Had a great call with Calder this afternoon and walked thru my scenarios and ironically had just finished hitting all areas with Lexel per the Weatherization instructions about 20 minute before he called.

Will monitor it going forward when it rains next but HUGE thanks to GFC customer service and commitment to getting it right!

Justin

Where can I find this weatherizing the rear corners video?

1 Like

Very 1st post has links.

perfect. good to know the spot I was thinking was leaking was actually right. I was just going to put some e6000 (recommended from another) instead of requesting a full weatherizing kit.

seems easy enough

1 Like

Adding another data point - I picked up my tent in April 2022 and noticed water was getting in if I parked outside during a rain session. My driveway has a slight (3-5deg slope and my truck has factory-style rake) so I tried parking in different directions when it rained to see if there were different outcomes. Water was still getting in at the back of the tent. The whole lower rear 3-8" of the tent is wet after it rains. I only have the mattress inside so I know I’m not over packing. I noticed the weatherizing videos show the side “bulb” seal terminating at the aluminum billets at the front and rear of the tent. Mine stop about 1/4" short and I can see another hole drilled on the underside of the top extrusion. I believe water is getting in there because it appears to be a straight shot inside the tent. Pretty frustrating to have to open my tent for a day+ after it rains each time.

Reached out to GFC and waiting their response.

1 Like

This seems to be a case by case experience. It has been raining pretty hard here in Michigan the last week or so. I opened the tent today to air it out and everything was dry. Not sure how their builds can be so inconsistent.

2 Likes

Shoot, I’ve been off this forum for a while.

Came back to the forum to read if there were any leak issues after too many rainy days in Alaska and leaking issues. Just read this and submitted a ticket. Got my V2 in April ‘21