2014 Ram Big Horn - Build out

I don’t know, maybe it’s because I’m a GFC fanboy. To me it looks like outstanding customer service, above and beyond. They didn’t offer to send replacement parts, they didn’t say bring it back for repair, they are making a new one for you, and you can keep the old one. Absolutely outstanding! There couldn’t be a better outcome. I like my GFC and my personal customer service has been good, not instant or next day, but always a reply. “Fanboy” me likes the product, service, company, USA. It’s a well designed tent on a shell, that’s all it is, and that’s what I got. Couldn’t be happier.

3 Likes

Yeah, totally! I couldn’t be more grateful for the proposed outcome. I’m still struggling with the reality of their response. At no point did I think they were at fault for what happened. Their customer service as you agree, can be slow at times. But…every time I’ve talked to them they’ve been nothing but helpful. I am somewhat in my own head at times, and my wife sorts me out when I take things the wrong way.

That being said, I’m confident that this is really happening. But it’s one of those things where until the new unit is on my truck…I can’t be certain this isn’t all just an evil dream…LOL

I’ve now come to accept some of the quirks and unrealistic expectations I had. Calder really helped put things in perspective for me when we chatted. The integrity and effort they are putting into making things work out is OUTSTANDING!

1 Like

So, I think it’s fair for me to update my stance on this situation. I think there is value in my story, so I’m not going to go back and edit a bunch of shit. This is where I am at with this process today. I received a response from Day & Ross who was the company that handled the shipment. This shipment was booked through ShipCanada.ca to which they contract out to whoever is the cheapest I’m sure. But this is the response from Day & Ross:

*"Upon review, we note that the product in question was shipped un-protected. The unit was shipped on a pallet without protection. Freight of such nature is very suseptible to damage in the LTL environment. The freight should have been crated for better protection. *

Due to the lack of packagng / protectoion, we respectfully decline liability of this claim. The Day & Ross Transportation Group values your business and regrets any inconvenience this claim may have caused."

That’s understandable, I had reviewed the expectations and the unit should’ve never been accepted in the first place. NOW Fortunately! GFC has graciously offered a solution that I’ve mentioned in previous posts.

So…At this point I am SO impressed with the fact that I have not had to fight with anyone over this or worse case scenario seek legal recourse. I will state that I do still feel that some improvement can be made from GFC’s standpoint with regards to acknowledging requests; but understand that they receive a large volume of such requests.

With that, again, I am grateful to be given this opportunity to start fresh, get a fresh perspective on the company. With that become a happy ambassador for GFC and their products considering how this was managed.

I will be doing a re-build on the new unit that will include using a flexible Renogy Solar panel instead, but otherwise, everything else will be the same. Oh, actually ordered better decals for the side. I’ll put together a cheesy youtube vid of my journey down to Belgrade to pick up the unit in a month. Maybe even sneak in a low snow tour :wink:

WG

8 Likes

Glad they are sorting you out! Really exceptional customer service.

1 Like

Got my new ‘Branding’ decal for the camper. New Mountain decals coming for the new unit as well.

:sunglasses:

Front brake level up, rears tomorrow.

2 Likes

I had completely gapped out, and I’m ashamed to call myself an electrical engineering technician, :crazy_face:

I forgot to fuse my battery feed to my fuse panel, so got that done yesterday.

Now my truck shouldn’t burn to the ground because of that at least.

Started prepping the truck to take 1921v1 off and put it on my buddies eco-diesel. Build 1921V2 is on order and will be complete in two weeks. Bringing my ski touring gear if anyone wants to go hit some rocks while I wait for my PCR test to get back into Canada :metal:t3::skier:

2 Likes

Got my BFG All Terrain’s mounted on my new rims and did a test fit. It’s gonna look badass next spring.

285/75/17 on 17x9” rims

Back to the studded Open Country’s for now…glad I got those on for the upcoming Montana trip.

5 Likes

I heard the border is opening on 11/8. Is that where you are headed?

Yeah you bet, heading down to get my replacement unit. Stoked and nervous all at the same time. Lol. It’ll be nice to have it installed by them and pick their brains about some of the issues some of us have experienced with the V2 builds.

But nervous about the Test requirements to return to Canada. It’s a real gamble and expensive and from my understanding. Just trying to decide if I should bring my ski touring gear or bike. Lol

yes take the ski stuff and bike. you know what will happen if you don’t…

2 Likes

True story!!! I keep thinking that, it is a lot of crap to bring then LOL. Planning to bring all my tools and gear to set the camper back up while I wait for my PCR results.

Planning to hopefully make it from Penticton to Missoula in one day and camp at Big Pine campsite. Then after the install head up towards Eureka and find a spot to camp out there close to the border. Then it’s off to visit a buddy in Kimberly and the long way home to the Cariboo via Rogers pass. So definitely opportunities to do all sports, bike, ski, fish LOL

If it’s the same Big Pine campground I’m thinking of, it will probably be closed. I think end of October is when it’s typically closed for the season. But I could be wrong.

1 Like

OOO shit, that wouldn’t be ideal LOL. Yeah it probably is, it’s about 40 mins West of Missoula by the looks of things. I’m so used to BC recreation sites that are just open all the time, only provincial sites ‘close’.

1 Like

Here ya go mate.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/generalinfo/lolo/specialplaces/generalinfo/?groupid=23004&recid=20312

Looks like gates are already drawn. I’m sure you’ll be able to find some dispersed camping somewhere.

3 Likes

Yeah I just saw that as well, so checking on free camping site now. Looks like there’s quite a few options. I’m really going to push as far as I can that day, I have no other objectives so who knows maybe I’ll make it all the way to Belgrade. But that’s a big push from Penticton BC, at 980km’s after getting a PCR test at 945am and having to deal with a border crossing.

your other objective should be stocking up on th Big sky Brewing Moose Drool

2 Likes

Well today was the day to really prep to head down to Montana for my install on the 18th!!

Perks of working for the Telco and being an ex-lineman…access to digger trucks!

Then put it on my buddies Eco Deisel…he’s pretty stoked!!!

Then put the cheap Tonneau cover I found online on so I don’t have to take the platform out for my journey! Boy the truck looks naked!

Takes about 10mins to put on and take off, so getting it off for the install will be a piece of piss.

6 Likes

Yee-haw for the fellow lineman :metal:

1 Like

Well the day came and went. Got my replacement install today, the new upgrades are amazing! Bulb seal on the clamshell, new drain holes, and new tent attachment system. This means no more green core popping out. I am so grateful to the team and this company for the outcome of this situation.

I’m so happy I was able to make the trip down put faces to the names of the people I was dealing with. There’s a lot going on down there and I could see how it could become overwhelming. Anyways, here’s the typical money shot install photo’s!

And made it all the way Kimberley, BC to see some of my best friends for a steak dinner!!!

8 Likes