2014 Ram Big Horn - Build out

Totally that’s a much more logical way of thinking about it. I guess the mistake they made was indicating on Instagram that they were writing an email. Then proceeding to ghost me after that. I will just wait patiently for those that need to do their job to do their jobs.

Yeah that kind of communication is something they should improve on. Customers feeling ghosted is not a good thing. In my opinion they need to set expectations that response times may be drawn out so folks don’t worry. And I have seen some folks getting no reply for weeks and weeks which is not cool and makes the rest of us nervous.

1 Like

Just read your build. Sorry to hear about the shipping stuff. I know you were looking forward to getting it in one piece

1 Like

I’m going to give up on trying to contact GFC and leave it to professionals to deal with. Extremely disappointed in my whole experience, the build quality, and the lack of support.

Fortunately, the unit will work for us as is. But I will be removing the decals and be sure to tell everyone who asks about the unit about my experience.

Boys and I went out for the maiden voyage.

Trip ended with a snapped 3rd brake light wiring and water in the frame.

Trying to decide how to brand the unit to spread the word.

2 Likes

As much as it sucks I’m glad you are making the most of it. You and your boys will make many memories in that rig.

3 Likes

I had a chance to buy a Vagabond Drifter… this post is really making me wonder if that would have been the better decision. 🤷 This all seems like such a headache.

1 Like

While these are valid issues and GFC customer service has a lot of room for improvement I sincerely believe @dignon’s experience is not a typical GFC buying experience. All the campers out there are going to have their own issues. Additionally, you are only going to hear about the issues on these forums, no one makes a lengthy post on how their camper doesn’t have water in the frame.

2 Likes

Damn shitty to see this, sorry you are continuing to have issues and GFC hasn’t yet replied. That does seem outside the norm (all of it). I haven’t had leaking like this but admit I’ve only been in light rain and one pressure wash. I’ll have to give it a better hose down

1 Like

The real bummer, is that I think the product is sick. There are a few growing pains. The complaints are less about the ‘issues’ with the camper. It’s more so the lack of openness and communication from the company.

I equate a few of the things to being a beginner camper all over again. There are tricks that I still need to work out. It’s like that first time you accidently set your ground tent up in a dip and it pisses rain. You’re gonna get wet.

For some reason I’m struggling to find the strength and will power to let go and move on. I think even if I got a ‘Not our fucking problem bro!’ from GFC I would at least know where I personally stand as a customer.

Ski season will be among us soon, and I can retreat to the solitude of powder turns.

3 Likes

I agree there is room for improvement in customer service. I just want to mention that there are similar issues at all of the wedge camper companies (based on several threads on campers I follow on TacomaWorld). Wedge campers are awesome and so they are having insane growth.

They will get back to you eventually. I have an issue with the keder rail cords being too short and my first email to them was on 7/25 but they didn’t reply until 9/05. But they’re gonna take care of me, just like they did people who bought a V1 with polyolefin hinges. Plus, your particular situation is more complicated due to the various shipping company disasters you experienced and the lack of crate.

I was very impressed how you got the rear panel usable again and are able to go camping now despite the lack of response from GFC.

I would say to not write them off just yet, though I do worry you won’t be able to be fixed up until you’re able to get to Belgrade, MT (and back!).

2 Likes

Your complaints are all valid and I agree with you the customer service that creates the bad feelings and frustrations.

As far as moving on take my opinion with a grain of salt (as I have even been called a fanboy by some disgruntled folks :slight_smile: ), but they are still a very small company having explosive growth. I do think in most cases the individual people are usually all trying their best, but the system has issues that creates the feeling that they are blowing you off or don’t care. I’d imagine that the guy on instagram sending you a DM is in marketing (or even the owner), and he messages support about your issue and the ball gets dropped somewhere in the exchange.

Non of this makes it OK at any level, but just my thoughts and hopefully they help to reframe things and let you enjoy your camper more. Also, I am with you that winter and ski season can’t come fast enough!

3 Likes

Well, I finally got a call from GFC. So that’s beneficial, we’ll see how the quote works out for panel replacements. Rightly so, it sounds like they won’t be offering non-crated deliveries after this.

I will update as they come. In the meantime, I can get back to doing more for the build out. New brakes coming, upstairs lighting, and routing the solar. Then suspension upgrade to get rid of the leveling block.

1 Like

Just don’t add changing the oil on your RAM to that list! Just did mine again today and I always despise RAM engineers and their oil filter location! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah it’s definitely less than to be desired, I did mine a month back. You went with Fox 2.5’s with piggy back for suspension upfront? Did it lift the truck by 2”? The levelling kit I got looks good, but have noticed more rattle on wash board than I had before. And the rear I would like to rely less on the airbags and more on a properly spec’d set of springs for the 700lbs of constant payload.

I’m leaning towards Fox 2.0’s and Icon Dynamics rear springs…or full Icon Stage 3 kit. The rig doesn’t see my aggressive off-roading, but a great deal of logging road rallying.

1 Like

Yeah I did the fox 2.5s with the DSC clickers in the front and the cheap 2.0s in the rear. I have been debating on getting the dsc ones for the rear also but kinda pricey. Also have bds upper control arms. I have been very impressed both on and off road. They give a lot of control going faster on dirt roads as there is less body roll and the truck doesn’t kick out on stutter bumps.

I have the off road package which on 5th gens gets you 1” of lift over standard so they gave me 1 more inch. With my RSI on and White Knuckle sliders it sits perfectly level. Thuren also makes a pretty awesome kit with Kings if you can take the 11 month wait.

1 Like

Sounds like a need to do a little more research, the price on the 2.5’s is definitely a little more spendy do you find you adjust them at all. Or more of a set and forget?

I do like with the Icon stage kits you get everything you need with Stage 5 I believe which is a-arms, front and rear shocks and rear springs. But it’s like $5000!!!

1 Like

I spent a lot of time adjusting them initially, but have left them alone mostly now that it is working how I wanted. It’s still a large heavy truck for sure, but it has been a great upgrade and makes the truck a lot more fun to drive.

1 Like

Got the upper lights installed mostly. I’ve temped them into the t-slot to see if I like that before I commit. They’re not super bright like the other ones. But they have the gimmicky Bluetooth connectivity to my phone to change colours, synch to music, etc…

I’m also not 100% on the cable routing because I couldn’t get the tubing straight. So there will be some more faffing about.

Also did a test fit of the Clipper Cascade on the DIY beef bars. It should work well. Still need to nervously test it on the highway and hope everything holds together :grimacing:

2 Likes

Got the third brake light fixed and unbranded the camper. Have some custom decals coming.

1 Like

Maybe nearing the end of the build? Lol. I doubt it. My neighbor works for a locaL RV shop, so scored this solar cable entry gland.

Committed and drilled a hole in the roof. It’s too bad there is nothing with any meat to drill into. We’ll see how it holds up with some screws, butyl and silicone.

Just need to trim down the extrusion bolts, and drill the mounting holes on the panel and we’re off to the races.

2 Likes