2014 Ram Big Horn - Build out

So far so good, I rallied some logging roads at 90km/hr with all that gear up there. It held up, so, as of now I’m super stoked on that dumpster find!

1 Like

So…I noticed the other day that I forgot how close my left rear tire is to my brake hose. So I thought I would get some 1/2” spacers. I was skeptical and told 1/2” is too big. Well not only is 1/2” too big for a Ram 1500, but there’s no centre cap. So there’s no way to not make the axle unbalanced because they do not stay cantered. But that’s beside the point that there is not enough thread to trust these.

So let my mistake lead you to a path of success. I massaged the brake hose over by cautiously bending the steel. My mechanic neighbour said he does it all the time, so…why not give it a shot.

I think you’d need ‘hub centric’ spacers if that were the case. However, brake lines shouldn’t move much if at all. And your tire/wheel shouldn’t move closer to that brake line. Very peculiar though.

1 Like

Yeah the big concern with how close it was, putting chains on it may snag that brake line. I do use chains in this neck of the woods to get out the logging roads with the sled trailer.

Totally dope setup dude! I like the mosquito netting especially. All the work sure pays off when you have the freedom to roam with your rig. I’ve been leisurely crossing much of Canada in mine since the 1st. Canada rocks the Fall colors, bro! And Timmy Horton’s coffee and donuts slams Dunkin’ Donuts right off the rink - Wish we had them in the States!

:raised_hands:Thanks Dave! Yeah man, fall is my favorite time to go out adventuring. I’m on a week long journey right now heading down to Kimberley to visit a pal of mine from back east. Things got a little spicy when I tried to take a shortcut on this dirt road down to Clearwater, BC. I had to turn around, but not until after I put some pin-striping on and ravaged my running boards :man_shrugging:

In Revy now, where you at on your adventure?

Uploading: 8601D695-8A9C-4EED-95FA-B7BFB9A13F91.jpeg…
Uploading: 3967DCD9-33D9-4226-808D-5BAE4DF1611F.jpeg…
Uploading: AEDF2C15-3C28-47D0-8464-4A8568F747D0.jpeg…
Uploading: D97159C8-882D-4BFA-B4A2-6BD8367F7C61.jpeg…

Tim Horton’s are in PA and Ohio. and hell ya better than DD. I swear they mop the floors with maple syrup. it always smells so nice in there.

3 Likes

10 sour cream timbits, a maple donut, and a cup of coffee…

1 Like

Sorry, I am just now checking email again. I am down in Kentucky now, headed for Oklahoma. But I will definitely be returning to Canada in the future, both out west, and out East to Quebec & New Brunswick, Nova Scotia.

And good coffee at Timmy’s, not the DD slop!

Well, it’s that time of year to start thinking of putting the studs on. Figured I would take the time and try to refinish them. About $140 Cad in paint, an hour here, an hour there. I learned a valuable lesson; don’t use an oil based compressor without a dryer to blow them off. There must’ve been oil after I degreased it; so the paint has pitted.

So…I’ll get to do it again next year :smiley:

Paint

Still stoked how it turned out, been using the diesel heater to keep the garage warm. The high was 5C today :smiley:

3 Likes

Along with the steelies comes time to remove summer accessories. Awnings off and racks next, then I’m ready for winter.

5 Likes

I’m sticking with the KO2’s this winter, but SW Ontario doesn’t see the weather you see. I’m with you on all the accessories though, pulled those off last weekend. Makes it easier to clear the roof with the snow broom. #canadianproblems?

3 Likes

That was exactly my thought! I’ ve also had the zippers fail on an awning back from all the road shit. I’m pretty strict about washing; but that stuff goes deep.

I’m not super happy with these TOYO Open Country, studded. I think they’re just too hard for a 1/2 ton. I had Goodyear Duratrac Wranglers studded previously and they were amazing! But the size I wanted was like 450/each. I’ve been super impressed on the KO2’s, I also have them on my work truck that I run all year round.

I’ve been happy with Hercules Avalanche Xtreme on previous 1500’s. They’re studdable (illegal here and not really necessary), do well on ice and packed snow and we’re reasonable priced. Never had them into powder though.

Haven’t had the KO2’s out that much in winter due to work-from-home for the past 2 years. We will see how they do this year.

1 Like

sorry for going off topic on your build thread #lakeeffectproblems this was about 2 hours of build up

5 Likes

No big deal, it’s my thread :metal:. I kinda miss those lake effect storms. I remember driving home to Horseshoe Resort one night from Collingwood in my suped rally Jetta. The drifts were so deep my engine compartment filled with snow and shorted out my ignition coil.

2 Likes

Been a while, had to take a hiatus while on my CSGA level 1 course. In that time a young lad in the Whistler parking lot decided to give the rig some modifications

His pal was so excited to see him, he pulled him out of his van while it was still in drive. House on house crime!

1 Like

You need to give up cars. if I had your luck with them I would have gave up a long time ago

:joy: It’s just life’s little tests to make sure I stay humble and not start acting selfishly :stuck_out_tongue:

Definitely times I’ve felt that way, that’s for sure!

1 Like