2014 Ram Big Horn - Build out

Got a new video out!

Have my 1 year review on deck, that’s how this edit started. Then I decided to break it apart. Like, and subscribe :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

This was a wicked good read. Loved all the updates. Please keep it coming.

1 Like

Thank you so much! I hope to keep things going here…although I drove around the Ram lot today…could be problematic. Although my wife said if I buy a truck again without telling her, she’ll be pissed!

1 Like

Phase 1 of truck battery upgrade.

Optima Yellow top DH7

I want to clean up the AC feed to the charger under the hood. Haven’t gotten around to it yet. I was hopeful that my 20A DCDC charger would show up before today. Stay tuned on how that works out.

I don’t know why the hot dog stick door prop cracked me up :rofl:

1 Like

I thought about taking it out, but then thought…no there’s humour in this custom fix. Those hotdog sticks and a fallers wedge are also good for prying your door open a bit and using it to unlock your wife’s locked keys in her car :joy: Only to find out they’re in her pocket!

1 Like

Cross posting, but I’m ok with that. Here’s my 1 year review!

GFC V2 - 1 year Review!

2 Likes

Well, the plasti-dip side ‘Chrome’ moulding finally plasti-pealed. It was a good run while it lasted.

One side done…one more to go and I still need to get the glue all off.

Well, not much building goin on these days. Just the constant work of before adventure, after adventure, before next adventure cycles.

Before embarking on a proposed 10 day ski traverse.

After I returned from said 9 day ski traverse (cut a day, and the route)

Afte 7 hours of cleaning the trailer, sleds, Swapping the wheels, cleaning the wheel wells, and 5 sprays with one full wash.

2 Likes

Ok…so during the wash of the truck I discovered what seemed to be a little more than weeping on the left rear shock :raised_hands:. That means it’s time to start looking for an option. I was looking at the Icon Vehicle Dynamics Stage 5 kit; but I read that progressive coils aren’t good for constant load or towing. All of which I do on the regular.

I’m trying to find a load spring, that will lift, and provide performance. As usual, my expectations exceed what’s available in reality. Any how…here’s a funny response from TufTruck regarding my request for the above mentioned…

If the coils you use now are stock coils then our coils can fit in their place. With 700lbs constant load you may consider the TTC-1223. The TTC-1223 is a rough ride if the truck is empty so we recommend approx. 500lb in the bed at all times. When the truck is empty the TTC-1223 will give a 2-4 inch lift. With the constant weight you have you may not see any lift if at all and you may consider getting spacers to make up the difference. You will need shocks with more travel for the lift. We do not recommend off roading with our coils. For the front we have the TTC-1230 which is mated with a heavy duty shock and we recommend the adjustable Bilstein. The TTC-1230 has a .5 to .75 inch lift in the coil and the Bilstein has height settings on it and the highest setting cannot be used with our coil.

Thanks,

So, that settles that. Those springs are out, I’m for sure on the Icon shocks, I just need to find the right spring for the back.

I don’t have much info, but I know some guys have had good luck running Jeep gladiator coils in the rear. A lot more options for rates in those for sure.

1 Like

Sounds like Carli Performance makes a good rear spring, but their kit uses the Fox 2.0’s and I’m not sure those are the shocks I want.

Here’s the kit I’m eyeing up. Any Ram owners out there have experience with these configurations? I may just go with the rear end and do something different in the front when those shocks start to fail.

I have the Icon 1.5” progressive springs and probably wouldn’t do progressive again. They’re basically at the bottom of the progressive part of the stack and clank pretty good when those coils compress together. It rides fine, and isn’t sagging or anything, but is annoying.

Definitely interested to hear what you go with.

1 Like

That is exactly what I needed to hear! Luckily I had been diligently researching and had someone from TufTruck tell me that Progressive springs and constant load will do exactly what you describe.

I seems like Carli may be onto something. They want $3800 for a full fox kit (2” lift) with their HD spring, Trackbar bracket and End Links. I would like to just do the rear, so I’m waiting to hear back from them on that cost.

What’s your constant weight? I’m around 700lbs with the GFC and Platform.

If anyone has 8020 roof racks, I’ve noticed an issue with mine. I take them off in the winter and for some reason now one of them is too wide. Now, my first thought is my GFC shrank in the wash; then I realized that’s not possible.

Anyhow, I used red lock tight on the steel hardware. I am now unable to break those bolts free to adjust the angle brackets to fit back on the truck. My guess is they’re seized with rust. The salt up here is BRUTAL, I’m noticing that all of my steel powder coated parts will require a re-paint this year.

So I guess what I’m saying is, if you have steel hardware take the time throughout the year to break everything free or risk having to drill them out.

Interesting. I just did 8020 racks myself but used stainless steel for bolts and washers.

1 Like

Yup, that was the thought I had as I was rounding out the Allen heads with my impact.

Interesting…good to know. I think your guys salt compound is a little worse than Colorado.

I drag around about 500-600 lbs of stuff (including the camper). It actually gets better as it gets heavier - those progressive coils must already be compressed.

1 Like