2014 Ram Big Horn - Build out

At first they didn’t fit that way, but then once I realized that you could use the bottom track. That’s exactly what I did :smiley: great minds think alike.

1 Like

That looks great! :call_me_hand::call_me_hand:

1 Like

I just can’t help myself, but I’m running out of things to do…I better get to some camping!

Got the 6’ Awning installed, my awning room is just waiting to be picked up in Kamloops. As soon as I’m cleared to drive I’m going out!

Man, so sorry you’ve been laid up, hope the leg heals fast. What’s the awning on the back? I’ve been looking for one like that but having taco everything I’ve found is too wide

Hey Wes,
If you are able (we know you are on mobility restrictions). Share with us a picture of the awnings fully extended.
Thanks!

Hey Tarin,

It’s an ARB 1200 x 2000, I think it’ll fit on the Toyota but you have to shim it out so it doesn’t hit the lip on the top portion of the tent and gives you room to flip up the tent latches. With the cover on it’s just over 48", so you should be able to get it on the taco.

The one downside is it took a real beating in the winter the first year I had it on the leer topper and it trashed the zipper. Hence the ski strap holding the bag closed.

1 Like

Hey Robert,

I can totally do that! We’re heading to the in-laws this afternoon and camping in the yard. Gotta go pick up some noise makers, I mean kids. I’ll snap a few pictures, as I haven’t even had the 6’ awning deployed yet :smiley:

Got to the in-laws and set it all up.

3 Likes

Hahaha that’s how long the kids have been out of the house. my mind went straight to guns, fireworks, and the air horn collection

2 Likes

Decided to upgrade the 12V port in the rig to SAE plug. I found a few times the 12V plug would sometimes get knocked out while powering the diesel heater. Those of you who have one, know it’s got great to kill the power on those heaters without proper cool down :stuck_out_tongue:

I think it’s a more elegant look too.

2 Likes

Re-located the axe to inside. There was no more room on my exterior extrusion. Still looking for a way to attach my Quick Fists to the cross bars on the side.

I guess it’s a fun habit to have a rig to constantly be toying with :joy:

Finally added inside access to the other section of under storage. Prior to having the ‘faux’ tailgate for the diesel heater. That section was easily accessed from the outside. I quickly learned over the winter that this is SUPER annoying. In the end that space ended up not being utilized because of the inconvenience. So…bring out the skill saw, jig saw, impact driver, drill and square. Voila! One hour later :metal:

3 Likes

Well following @julian lead. I too knew I was going to need a mosquito solution, and we’re knocking on the door of the time those little f-er’s start coming out!

So… I confirmed that I was allowed to use the old kitchen tent walls and laid it out.

This is going to be the tricky part.

That’S what I hope the finished product to look like using Velcro.

Then I got a sewing machine from my mother in-law and learned how to sew last night.

The pattern cut out and I did get all the edges done with the first seams. It’s super rough; but it’s totally going to do the trick.

7 Likes

@Dignon So stoked to see people riffing off my screens! Exactly what I hope to see happen from sharing. Great work, Wes! :metal:

2 Likes

I definitely see the appeal to sewing this type of stuff. The options…my mind is going in 100 different directions. I got the first ‘prototype’ done, it’s pretty rough. I know @the_philxx there was something you used to make sewing the seams easier aside from pins. I’m hoping the edges on my next one are a lot straighter :joy:

Thanks for the kudos @julian if you’re coming up through BC to get to Alaska via hwy 97, let me know when you get to Williams Lake. I’ll buy you a coffee :coffee:

1 Like

LMAO!!! Totally, it’s usually not that messy down in the studio; I swear! My wife was the last one to play my rig. But yes, there’s definitely some rock and roll in my sewing :metal:

3 Likes

+1 to Seamstick basting tape from Sailrite. I used that stuff on just about every seam. A small leather tool roller also helps to encourage a crease on your fold (when working with more structured material such as Cordura)

1 Like

Finished product for V1 :smiley:

Great thing is I can just lift up the front and rear bottom corners and I’m able to close the door with the screen installed. It’ll be a good test to see the effect it has on the seal of the side panel.

Hoping to have time to get the other side built in the next week or so. Kids soccer starts up next week; so camping season takes a break for a few.

6 Likes

My sewing is definitely getting straighter, so that’s a good thing. Started slow tackling the drivers side and trying to improve on a few things. Hope to have it test fit, then mounted tomorrow.

1 Like

Going to try not cutting the slit for the struts and just let the tension hold it in placed. Also finished the alterations on the old rear net from the topper. That one was just a hardware store bought ‘magic screen’.

Then onto the next project…new PowerStop callipers (which I should’ve done when I did the rotors) But, have to fix my wife’s CRV first :frowning:

5 Likes

I dove into the diesel heater last night. I’ve been trying to figure out where the exhaust smell comes from when the unit first starts up. It’s now clear that it has been leaking inside the case.

I now have a 90deg piece from amazon to make that transition underneath cleaner and hopefully tighter. You do however end up with more connections inside the case. Also, if you think you’re going to cut that Chinese heater pipe and have it fit anything…don’t do it. It doesn’t, I had to resort to putting the muffler right at the 90, then extending the output with the remaining pipe with a flange.

I didn’t get any pictures of the process because I was a tad frustrated. Here’s to hoping it doesn’t leak anymore. I do think I’m going to investigate plumbing the intake (rear) out of the case. Not doing so, if there’s an exhaust leak it gets pulled into the heated air, also if the diesel leaks in the case you get the raw smell of that as well.

Really going to re-assess my heater design, but have now realized I should’ve just got the all in one unit.

1 Like