AK or bust! - in winter

I finished up winterizing my rig and headed to AK over the Christmas weekend:

I’m really excited to see how I can hack the GFC to make it work better in extreme cold. Current temp where I’m at (somewhere between there border and Tok) is 0F. Whole truck is frozen over with road grime. Let’s see where this goes!

Anyone in AK, hit me up.

9 Likes

If you end up going back south via the Alaska Marine Highway give me a shout. I’m in Wrangell where it is currently rain and 48 degrees. Safe travels

2 Likes

Howdy and welcome to the north :joy:

Depending on where you’re heading I’ll be camping every night through the new year. I’m based in Fairbanks but have been popping around the Kenai because of milder weather. If you don’t have a heater setup make sure to wipe everything down in the morning or you’re gonna have frost everywhere when you open back up.

You’ll want a set of latch covers by @Buhlockaye by the time you’re done up here lol

4 Likes

Looks amazing. Are you running stock suspension?

Example of frost that builds up even with a heater running. It’s been warm and wet around anchorage all week with temperatures fluctuating from 5-35 degrees.

1 Like

I’m in Girdwood today. Would love some tips on spots.

I’m running a propex, no issues with anything but snow buildup on the exterior so far.

1 Like

Icon add a leaf and bilstein 5100 in the rear. Otherwise, yup

Head towards the Kenai wildlife refuge. Free camping on 4 different frozen lakes in the middle of a turned wildfire zone.

Pretty central to the peninsula.

Otherwise head towards Jim creek recreation area in Palmer.

There’s Hatcher Pass but you’ll have to enter via the Houston side as it’s closed past the mine

1 Like

Following up on this. There is one loop in Riley Creek campground open in Denali national park. There are only 5-6 campsites cleared but it’s good to camp in overnight if you want a break from driving and the entire park is still open to hiking you just can’t drive past mile 3 right now.

1 Like

Looks like a ton of snow is coming to Girdwood soon. 35" between now and 1/7. Wish I was ripping Alyeska!

1 Like

It’s going to be epic.

I’m still planning on updating this thread, but it’s taking most of my effort in a day to get my day job done and quickly make fixes to problems as I encounter them. Mostly insulation, electricity, and organization. I’m excited to write a longer update!

1 Like

Insulation can only do so much when it’s this cold outside. (Just north of Paxson on the Richardson today)

3 Likes

Been working on insulation. Here’s where I’m at:

Tent walls: all 4 have rumpl blankets floor to ceiling. I added some reflectix in the cab-over area behind the blankets to keep that area from getting so cold. Skipped the rest of the tent since I don’t want to hear the reflectix all night and need an emergency escape

Front GFC wall is covered with 1.5" foam and 3/16" HDPE sheet, to which all of my electrical stuff is mounted. Front bed wall is bare to allow some cold to cool the chargers and inverter.

Side walls have reflectix hanging from the top of the GFC to the floor of the truck, with rumpl blankets in front of that.

Rear wall has the side wall rumpl blankets (two person) wrapped in front of it as “doors”. The corners are held in by carabiners on an NRS strap that runs along the top of the door. The rumpl blankets in the bed are folded in half, so I slipped some reflectix between the two sides as a radiative barrier.

The floor of the truck bed is 1.5" pink foam with 3/16" HDPE sheet over the top to isolate me from the cold ridged truck bed.

I also added a ton of duct tape and foil tape to seal in all the cracks. 3D printed a bracket that attaches to the accessory mounting point to help keep the blankets in place in the bed.

I had the blankets in before, but no reflectix and there were lots of gaps. With all these changes, I need to test how much the heater will be on. My guess is it could be 0F outside and it would be 65F in here and the heater would be on roughly 50% of the time.

That’s………a lot

2 Likes

I’m planning on living and working in the truck for the whole winter in AK, and I’m an electrical engineer so I have some relatively sensitive equipment that I have to use to do my job. Having a warm, dry place is the top priority for me

1 Like

Turnagain pass last night - it snowed, and snowed some more. 2 feet by the time it was all over. Waited until the state snowblower came by, but it only passed about 50ft away from my truck so I was left to shovel a path to its track. Better than 500ft to the highway so I can’t complain.

Epic cold smoke skiing today, 3ft up high. All time conditions.

4 Likes

Are you in the girdwood lots or parked in one of the many many pull offs down the arm? Any luck down the portage glacier road? I went down a few times this winter and the plows completely blocked off the side lots along the river sadly :frowning:

Girdwood downtown is fair game. I camped at a view area on the arm and most nights have been up Turnagain at the rest area. I drove the portage road, same deal.

1 Like

Dude you still alive? Haven’t seen any posts and wanted to check in on ya.