Any GFC owners in Portland, OR?

I’d also likely be around that weekend, I’d be game.

I’d be down for the 16th, exploring Gifford sounds super cool!

Where do you want to explore on Sunday, April 16th?

• Gifford Pinchot National Forest
  • Tillamook State Forest
  • Mt Hood National Forest

0 voters

A drive out SR-14 and then north up into Gifford Pinchot is always beautiful, but as I’ve said previously I don’t have anywhere specific in mind. If someone is familiar with some light 4x4 trails in Tillamook or other locations near Portland I will defer to them

2 Likes

Could be somewhat limited by snow at certain elevations. This winter just seems to keep going…

I haven’t been through the coast range or GP since Fall though.

1 Like

I’d prefer Tillamook or GP. I think Hood will still probably have quite a bit of snow. Not to say either of the other places won’t :joy:

Lol very good points, hadn’t considered snow being an issue…

Snow was an issue in Tillamook State Forest a few weeks ago. I was surprised as there was quite a bit.

I was up in the Yacolt Burn area about ~3 weeks ago and there was some snow, but not enough to be an issue

1 Like

Throwing my two cents in for location, IMO this time of year most of the quick to acccess stuff in Mt Hood Natl forest is too snowy (would love to know if I’m wrong though), I’d got for either tillamook or Gifford, my semi-educated guess is that tillamook would be more clear from snow.

3 Likes

Lets call it for Tillamook then, from my office I can see snow up on Larch so I’m assuming theres more deeper in GPNF.

I’m good with Tillamook. Depending on where you are in the Portland area it is about an hour West. I’m happy to sketch out some route options if it’s useful.

Maybe take a roll call early next week and see who is in, and what difficulty of trails folks are interested in.

Note that Oregon requires a permit to run the trails, it’s pretty cheap. See Oregon Parks and Recreation : ATV Permits : Ride ATVs : State of Oregon for deets.

1 Like

Thoughts on doing something easy for all to make it and maybe pick a spot to grill something up / make some coffee ect

2 Likes

I’ve been watching but haven’t chimed in to say, count me in!

1 Like

Slightly off topic, but I’m on a months+ long road trip around the west in my GFC. I’m currently at Mt Hood but passing through Portland area at the start of the week likely (I’ll likley miss this planned meetup later in the month…). Anyone around who might be available on a weekday to do some exploring or camping? I’d be interested in meeting up and getting some local intel.

1 Like

The forecast is looking quite favorable on the 16th.

1 Like

We’re a couple days out now. Roll call? Where do we want to meet then leave from?

Unfortunately my truck is in the shop due to being rear-ended and it looks like I won’t have it back before the weekend.

Count me in on the 16th.

1 Like