Awnings! What are your thoughts?

That’s precisely why I am trying to build a lightweight removable modular setup. Awning concept test. (Fail) that’s why we test!! - YouTube The T-Slot is just an extrusion that’s 1/2" thick and attaches by a lip and screws to the frame behind it. Too much torque might even rip the whole thing off the frame.

Curious if anyone has mounted a Roofnest Litwing yet to the GFC with any success and what your review is on it. Incredibly light weight given the carbon fiber and curious how compatible it would be. Thanks

5 Likes

Here is a different option I have used for a couple years now. I like that it gives me plenty of space away from the truck for chair, table, propane tank/firering, which I might not have under a 270 awning.

and the link-

4 Likes

We went with the FPG Force Protector Gear - Sweet Spot 2.0 kit. Comes in at 14 lbs. I can mount it to anything, truck, tree, freestanding, left side, right side…the list is endless. Not to mention I can add panels, shorten panels make shade panels, connect to others with panels. Build a full city if money was no object. :rofl: In closing Endless Options!

5 Likes

do you have a link to this >?

Ive checked out a few things from these folks. Definitely nice stuff.

3 Likes

Thanks ! :pinched_fingers: :pinched_fingers:

1 Like

Just a heads up the website is just a bit confusing. Let me repeat that…The V2 version is a thinner material then the V1. Not to be confused with a GFC…LOL. The Sweet Spot 2.0 is a kit sold with 1 awning 5.9/6’ x 10’ and 1 shade panel 6’x10’ snaps all the way around to attach to more panels. Plus a batch of universal connectors.

Be sure to check out some of the videos they have. Takes a bit of time to figure out the system. Once you get it the skys the limit as to what you can do.

Plus price wise they come in at a used Rhino Batwing 270. (43lbs) @ $600‐

For our build my main focus has been, multi functional with weight in mind. After starting a build on a F350 dually and making a custom flat bed weight was never an issue. No matter what I did to the truck would alway get 6-7mpg.

With our Ford Ranger & the GFC it’s all about weight in mind! Plus we camp in the woods all the time. Anyone who has a 270 will tell you if you find an epic spot next to a tree :deciduous_tree: you wouldn’t be deploying the awning.

Always pros and cons to everything. I just like that I don’t have 50-70 lbs hanging off my rig. One more thing to decreases my MPG and likly get caught on some tree limb. No thank you.

Some point I’ll get a video together as to how it works for us. Along with the GFC V2 set up.

In the mean time this is the fellow who’s video got me hooked. Enjoy. Note as to the connection points I went with metal instead of the plastic as seen in this video. Plus smaller GFC such as a Tacoma, Ranger you need to do side mounting points. Go Fast Campers V2 - My Full Review After One Year - YouTube

1 Like

With this set up shown, I can mount left side, right side, rear or any combination with more awnings. Or simply just the 2 I have in the kit.

2 Likes

I like it.
Nice use of the set up.

1 Like

I have an extra bracket for sale…can be either driver or passenger side. Products - 4WD-Mod.com.

Has the issue discussed on the thread linked below been resolved?

https://forum.gofastcampers.com/t/warning-alucab-shadow-awning-bracket-from-cvollers/18751?u

2 Likes

Yes this has been resolved. This customer had the first installed version of the bracket and as I told him, Alu-Cab and their dealers were zero help in providing dimensions for the holes. He had to drill four holes to get it to fit and I reimbursed him $100 for the drilling. I have since modified the design to eliminate the issue.

3 Likes

Where did you find those brackets with the pins? I like them.

1 Like

Here is the link https://amzn.to/3EV0UYM
I did a 6 pack which allowed me to place them on all 2 sets on camper sides (1 spare set for more options) If you install them you’ll want to put a flat washer with the screw. Other wise the screw will bottom out cutting into the track on the back side.

I first bought the black plastic ones. I then switch over to the Stainless Steel. Much stronger giving me more confidence with anything i attach to them. Cool thing with these you can easly just get a tarp and some expendable poles. BAM you got an affordable awning for less then $100‐

2 Likes

Anybody mount a 270 awning like the Alu Cab Shadow onto Rhino Rack load bars? I just picked up a Superlite and also looking to mount it as light as possible with a load bar system rather than full rack, to my JKU using the Rhino Rack backbone.

I see Alu Cab has a bracket system specifically for RR load bars, they show the RR HD bars in their instructions PDF. I’m wondering if it would work with the RR Vortex aero bars, as I prefer the aero shape and the channel geometry on the HDs looks weird to me. I think I could make it work, with just swapping for different channel nuts and shorter bolts.

The shadow seems like a good combination of robustness vs weight. Though not sure if mounting to the load bars may compromise some of that robustness and make me tie it down in milder winds vs mounting with a corner bracket on a RR pioneer platform. I’m trying to avoid the extra 35-40 pounds of the platform though, since the tent will basically cover the whole thing. Don’t want to have too crazy of weight up high for off camber wheeling, I don’t just stick to fire roads in the JKUR.

Appreciate the link

1 Like

My pleasure Brian!

I would not call it resolve, but I cannot pursue it any further. I’ll advise anyone who are interested to think twice and use a payment method that allows chargeback. I paid through zelle, I cannot chargeback, or I would. If you considered this to be resolved, then so be it.

2 Likes

I consider your feedback as helping make the product better and for that I thank you. At the end of the day you have a bracket that allowed your awning to be mounted and you were reimbursed $100 for the cost of drilling the four holes needed. If I had shipped it without any holes or slots you still would have had to drill and I wouldn’t have reimbursed you. Think about that.

So far, you are the only v1 customer who has complained…and certainly the only one who posted your complaint on this forum.

If you still feel that you need a complete reimbursement for what you paid me for the bracket, send it back to me and I’ll refund you the full amount.