Awnings! What are your thoughts?

Just as an update: I finally got the OVS 270LTE mounted to my GFC. It is indeed tiny. It’ll do for now, but I will likely upgrade to a larger 270 at some point in the future.

Didn’t get any great pics, it just started to rain as I finished. I will take some pics this weekend

3 Likes

Anyone considering the FSR Awning, or the new Yakima Major Shady awning?

The FSR looks really good at 37lbs, but is $1200 and out of stock, the major awning is brand new, looks good, but is 47lbs and $900.

Let me know if anyone is considering these.

I know there has been some negative feedback regarding the bracket I designed for mounting an Alu-Cab Shadow to a GFC, however I want to share our V3 test mule which a customer test fit today with successful results. He is sending it back to me for powder coating. This plus another six are shipping soon.

3 Likes

Honestly, the way you handled yourself in that situation did way more damage to my trust in your company than a mis-fitting bracket…I’m glad to see your products improving, but for myself I’ll be waiting to see how your customer service improves. I sincerely wish the best for you and your business.

1 Like

In the interest of not having this thread get locked, I’m going to just say that we did learn quite a bit from our v1 experience and v3 is now as good as it can be. We have a policy for responding to v1 issues and it seems to be working.

4 Likes

Dude, no need to bring the negative. Chill, ignore him if you don’t like him…

Be like Elsa… let it gooooooo

7 Likes

Just bit the bullet and ordered the FSR awning after seeing the superpacific video (FSR 270 Awning & Super Pacific X1 - YouTube). I think this is the best option for a midsize w/a GFC. Since superpacific guys are recommending these, and at 37lbs 3 GFC brackets should be enough and not needing a shadow awning style wrap around bracket.

The best thing about this awning and made it a buy for me over the other 270’s, including the new Yakima Major Shady, is that the awning is square with the tailgate (as seen in the yt video) and not cut off a little. That and…37lbs.

Shipping was crazy cheap too at $50. They are sold out until end of may, but tip - if you really want one, call in, they are taking pre-sales and hint - mention the 10% off newsletter :slight_smile:

I’ll get some install pics once it comes. So glad to be getting rid of the super annoying standard awning.

4 Likes

I have been stoked on mine and just use 3 normal brackets.

1 Like

Same here. I installed it a couple weeks ago and today with the weather clearing up was able to deploy everything and take a few pics…It is smaller than most but I gotta say for $500…it looks like it’ll do the job.

It was windy today and though I tested out the legs they weren’t necessary.

They sell the walls to enclose everything but it’s a bit pricey. I think I could customize something with a decent tarp and velcro.

At only 30lbs…Two GFC Brackets is plenty of support.

1 Like

I bought the Freespirit 270 and I’m pretty happy with it. I mounted it on 3 GFC universal mounts no problem and it snugs up against the back nicely.

1 Like

Sweet… been thinking about buying a FSR or Kinsmen. Looking forward to your pics and review. You seem to to tried a couple of awnings already. Thanks for sharing.

Nice, are you doing an even 3 spread with the bracket? I already have 2 brackets up but spaced for the regular awning.

I was thinking about putting two bracket near one ends (with the arms) and the last one on the other end, given most of the weight would be near the arms.

They aren’t even. Not sure this picture shows it well.

2 Likes

I just installed a Roofnest Litewing XL on my GFC V2. It’s a quality product, deploys easily and has some nice extra features, like LED light strips. It claims to not require poles, but I worry the stress exerted on the mounting rail could cause serious damage if a gust of wind catches the wing… needless to say, I’ll be using the poles and guy lines to be safe. Some other details: I used three GFC mounting brackets, attached to the top two extrusion slots. This provides enough clearance to open the side panel without touching the awning’s hard case when stowed, and also the awning itself when deployed. As mounted the case aligns flush with the roof. I look forward to testing it on my next road-trip.

6 Likes

Dang I have been looking for anyone with this awning to share. It’s very interesting. I have my FSR 270 on pre-order but it doesn’t have poles, just tie downs.

This at only a couple of lbs more, including the poles that conveniently hides in the case as well as LED lights AND more coverage…pretty interesting.

Having used the OVS 270 awning the last year there is a couple things that I’ve never liked about the awning so I have been working on an alternative. I’ve been on the fence about removing for most trips unless it’s super wet or snowy and I will be parked in the same spot for a while. These are the main reasons.

• Insufficient rear coverage. It seems the area that I use most is not always covered by the awning. Especially the rear passenger side of the tailgate. If the rain is coming down at any angle it’s going to get things a bit wet.

• it’s not always where you really need it. I ran into this same problem when I originally hard mounted my gas stove. Sometimes you just want to use it somewhere else or move it to a better spot. I feel the same with my awning and it’s aways such a pita to move the truck just to block some sun or rain. Unless you’re sitting on the side of your rig I always wish I had a bit more coverage.

So here is my next experiment. The “Pipeliners Cloud”. We use these at work and they are awesome so I bought one for the GFC. It’s essentially a super heavy duty 10’ diameter beach umbrella. I will install a mounting point on my tire swing out and bring a ground spike as well so I can move it around, take it to the beach etc. They make a 8’ diameter one as well that can supposedly withstand 60mph wind.

Anyway. Here are a few pictures and I will
Post some real world results when I use it a few times.

4 Likes

For those of you running the 270 awnings, do you just leave them mounted up at all times? I like to remove my awning when I’m not on a trip and not entirely sure I like the idea of trying to mount and remove the weight of a 270 each time especially since my wife is tiny so it would essentially be a solo endeavor. Also for some reason something tells me the weight on a quick release set up isn’t the best idea either.

I leave mine on most of the time, but it is only 38lbs so I can easily do it solo. If you have a rack it is pretty easy to run a strap from the rack around one end of the awning and just lower it down.

Any recommendations for simple awning (not 180 or 270) that I can mount on the GFC with a quick release?

I recently picked up the 8’ Ironman 4x4 awning and quick release brackets and am pretty happy with the set up so far. You do need to pick up a pair of the GFC Mounting Brackets as well. Ironman is running 20% off right now so the whole setup would be under $500.

8’ Awning - $295
Quick Release bracket - $129
GFC Mounting Bracket (x2) - $131.90

Instant Awning With LED Lighting/Dimmer 2.5m (L) x 2.5m (Out) (ironman4x4america.com)
Awning Quick Release Mounting Brackets (ironman4x4america.com)
Universal Mounting Bracket - GoFastCampers

3 Likes