Awnings! What are your thoughts?

I did the driver side. Mainly because I store my camera gear + access to fridge is on that side.

I have a full goose gear delete in the rear and my dog rides on the passenger side.

2 Likes

My first awning - Eezi Awn Swift mounted to the tent using the new billet awning mounts. So far itā€™s sick.

11 Likes

For those with the OVS 270 Lte and trying to keep the bugs at bay , I used two garage screen doors $24 garage screen doors from harbor freight and a bit of velcro tape to create a nice little enclosure

4 Likes

Damn this is a rad idea! Since kinsmen is not producing the annexxes anytime soon I might need to do this for my awning

1 Like

Do you happen to have a close up photo of how you attached the tarp to your hook?
Edit: Nevermind, I was able to find your YouTube channel!

2 Likes

Re: Kinsmanā€¦ Iā€™ve also left a VM, and sent a couple of emails, with no reply.

Same with the rear corner bracket for AluCab.

Those are probably my two top choices. But Iā€™m unable to move forward with either, since IDK about availability.

Maybe both were at Expo PNW, and not available to communicate with prospective customersā€¦?

1 Like

From what Iā€™ve been able to discern, Matthew (owner of Kinsmen) recently moved to Arkansas and is working for Sig Sauer (per LinkedIn). Beyond that, I canā€™t find any information on when Kinsmen products will be available in the future, if at all.

UPDATE: I spoke with Matthew today and he did confirm that heā€™s moved to Arkansas and taken a full time position with Sig Sauer. Heā€™s hoping to have his shop moved from South Carolina this month or next, but will be back to doing Kinsmen as a side project and not full time anymore. He mentioned heā€™ll be working to get some info out and most likely will be more of a manual ordering process as opposed to his current process on the website. Also sounds like current customers will be prioritized before taking on new ones.

2 Likes

My future 270 will be on the passenger side. This is for two reasons:

1. Mine is a daily driver. So I thought it would make sense to avoid having the weight of my awning, and the fridge & slide on the same side as the driver (to keep things more balanced).
  2. I wanted to be able to pull up to the right side of the road and deploy over the shoulder or sidewalk, and get into my fridge on that side of the truck, without being in traffic.

To be clear, I decided that fridge & awning should be on the same side, because a) I use a side ladder (AluCab + Mantis Claws). Soā€¦ I canā€™t have awning & ladder on the same side. And b) I wanted to be able to reach into the fridge from the ā€œcamp-sideā€ (awning-side) of the camper, without having to open the tailgate & slide the fridge out the back. If the fridge was on the ladder side, I couldnā€™t access through the side without removing the ladder.

3 Likes

That is my exact set up, haha. You speak the gospel.

Ive long since ditched the ladder and mount since i usually just go in thru the bed.
I actually use my fridge, an iceco jl42 as my step up into the sleep area.

1 Like

great, glad you found what you needed feel free to contact me any time with questions.

Three universal brackets just like this one.

I chose drivers side bc most of my ā€œoh crap I need ___ā€ takes me to the drivers side. If I need to hit lights, turn the key, driver side. My fridge is on the same side, and my passenger side has better access to my propane/water for my shower. I put my ladder hooks on the passenger side, and im mounting my shower stall on the same track/side as we speak. I swing bikes to the passenger side via the rigd ultraswing when setting up camp, which means my table-stove-cutting board is under the awning- but my bikes, ladder & shower are on the open side. If the weather is bad, I can enter/exit the truck or THe camper from the driver side & tailgate. Itā€™s perfect.

I wouldnā€™t want to lose the square footage UNDER the awning that my bike rack/swing away represents. This maximizes space for people, dogs and chairs out of the elements.

2 Likes

Both the weight argument and the roadside use argument apply to me. I often park on the roadside by the ocean (which means passenger side to the waves), and Iā€™m the primary weight in the truck. Awning and fridge on the right, for roadside use, makes total sense. Nice.

1 Like

2 Likes

Can I ask how you attached your Joolca? Iā€™ve been wondering how the brackets they supply will work with the various mounts GFC makes. I donā€™t pick my GFC up until next month, but grabbed the jooca single mounted ensuite during a recent sale and was hoping to figure out the best mounting solution before I head up to Montana.

Same mantraā€¦ universal GFC bracket x2 :slight_smile:

Honestly I bought 5 brackets on pickup day and Iā€™ve now used all of them between my awning and this joolca. Theyā€™re just easy, beefy.

Yep. Iā€™m in western colorado so my camping is never roadside. Use case matters!

1 Like

I just ordered the Alucab Shadow. I assume 3 or 4 brackets for install?

For my 270 OVS I used three brackets and it seems totally stable & secure.