Awnings! What are your thoughts?

@PNW Are you able to use the Shitto awning brackets on the rear tent panel with the Kinsmen awning open? If so how are you able to clear the Kinsmen`s rear swing arm? Pictures please.

My awning is passenger side therefore the left awning bracket attaches as normal. For the right bracket I simply used a longer screw. I placed the tnut in the extrusion in a gap of the Kinsmen awning bracket mount, placed the Shitco bracket on top, and attached via a longer screw. So the right bracket is offset the width of the Kinsmen bracket but I havenā€™t had any issues.

I understand how you mounted the Shittco brackets. When my Kinsmen awning is open the kinsmen awning support bar that is parallel to the GFC rear extrusion is higher than the mounting locations for the Shittco brackets. How are you able to open the Kinsmen awning and still use the Shittco tent awning supports at the same time?

I donā€™t use them simultaneously. In camp mode it is Kinsmen all the way. I use the Shittco to create better airflow to dry out the camper or if I donā€™t have enough space to setup full camp with the Kinsmen.

1 Like

Using for airing out is a great idea. Thanks for clarifying.

I am considering the RLD GhostAwn 360 awning. I really like the additional coverage over the Kinsman (my other consideration). I also like that you donā€™t need legs to support the awning. I havenā€™t been able to get an answer on the warranty and Iā€™m not 100% sure how the mounts will work with the GhostAwn, but it looks like they are compatible with GFCā€™s universal brackets. Unfortunately, without the perpendicular bracket, it wonā€™t be as strong as the Kinsman. Anyone have experience with RLD? Thanks!!

I am leaning towards the Kinsman for that very reason, I want something easy to deploy that I will get maximum usage out of

1 Like

First time Iā€™ve heard of the GhostAwn. My first impression is that the overhang over the cab wonā€™t serve much use. It would prevent water from dripping into the cab but looks like it would interfere with any cab mounts so it would be a non starter for me. But everyoneā€™s needs are different.

I donā€™t have any first hand experience with the GhostAwn, but looking at the YouTube videos, it seems like the rear of the truck doesnā€™t get as much coverage because of the design and how the coverage is more triangular shaped back there? Instead of being parallel with the rear hatch?

1 Like

Reading through this thread it seems like if your awning is not easy to set up you probably wonā€™t use it. Makes sense. With that said most people here have gone with a 270 degree awning. Iā€™m looking for something smaller and less expensive. Which one is the easiest to set up in this category? Iā€™m trying to decide between ARB 2500 or the Eezi-Awn Series 2000 2.5M Awning. The Eeazi is double the price but maybe itā€™s worth it. Any other suggestions?

1 Like

I am currently selling an eezi awn swift that was used a few times. I would definitely say its easier to set up than the standard roll up awning. I also like that you can use tent stakes to hold the kegs down, no guy lines. I highly recommend the awning, I would have stuck with it if I hadnt been an early kinsmen adopter.

Thanks for your input. After reviewing the dimensions of each awning, the GhostAwn is so much larger than the Kinsmen that there is 99% overlap even with the difference in shape. Unfortunately, that means that the GhostAwn is significantly larger when closed as well. 96x9x10 vs. 91x7x7. (Also looks like it mounts 1-2ā€ further away from the GFC) ā€” This is leading me back to the Kinsmen. Decisionsā€¦decisionsā€¦

I just picked this up:

Donā€™t have the GFC yet so I havenā€™t had a chance to mount it yet, but quality looks very good out of the box, and setup/take down looks pretty quick.

6 Likes

I am still waiting in line for my GFC, however I did purchase the Bat Wing (ā€œfull sizeā€) last summer and have continued to be impressed, rack mounted to my current topper. While I would prefer the theory of the legless, I couldnā€™t convince myself it was worth the extra coin. There has been negative reviews on it not handling wind well, but I have not have any issue. I think the obvious is proper staking and guy-wires.

2 Likes

I plan to mount my batwing tonight and use it this weekend. The GFC brackets replace the Rhino Rack brackets and most of the hardware, seems simple enough. Not sure how tight the wrap around will be, but hereā€™s to having an awning.

Iā€™d love to see this when you have it mounted.

3 Likes

Same, Iā€™d like to see it too.

1 Like

was on the fence with getting an awning and stuck between the Kinsmen vs GhostAwn360. But with the wait times and price increase with kinsmen, I went with the ghostawn.

Initial thoughts -

• mounts on either driver or passenger. I mounted on the passenger side because I have the side door on the driver side.
  • super easy to deploy and close (1min? less?) - definitely watch the videos on how to open and close it before going someplace remote or youā€™ll stand around scratching your head like wtf :confounded:
  • 2 GFC awning brackets were enough - the awning itself is lighter than most awnings Iā€™ve researched (68lbs)
  • itā€™s free standing, I donā€™t want to deal with any poles - but it has guide lines and stakes if you need to secure it down.
  • initially I mounted the gfc brackets first to the camper and tried to install the awning and it was a b**** since you donā€™t have alot of room to move around to tighten the nuts. So I removed the gfc brackets and installed the brackets that came with the awning to the awning and then tightened them to the GFC brackets. Had 2 people hold it up while I aligned the gfc track nuts to lock it in.
  • thereā€™s enough clearance for the RTT/struts to clear the awning for opening and closing.
  • coverage is kinda weird in the tailgate area - triangle space but you still get shade depending on the time of day / sun location and same with the front - I guess itā€™s nice that it keeps the dashcam/dashboard cool in the shade?

check my IG page for pics (same username) - let me know if you have any questions regarding this awning! :v:

3 Likes

Did you get it mounted, @GoHike? Curious how you are attaching the tension strap on the back. I put mine on today and am still playing with it.

This has been an awesome alternative if you donā€™t want to spend a lot and still want a lot of cover

2 Likes