Awnings! What are your thoughts?

Anyone have issues installing an awning on one side and getting in the way of some crossbars? Either the mounts on the side of the gfc or the poles themselves?

How about an update on the OVS awning?:slightly_smiling_face:

ScenicCityOverland has a complete review of the OVS awning and walls on YouTube

1 Like

I’m trying to decide between the GhostAwn360 and the OVS…

Did I read correctly that OVS is 195#? Or is that the shipping weight?

EDIT: Amazon says it’s 32KGs shipping weight. That makes more sense.

Want to share details about this? I like this idea

I’d second this approach of @Pbowman. I’ve been using the slumberjack tarp similarly. It can also be deployed between the trees and poles away from the truck if your camp is detached from the vehicles.

4 Likes

I’ve been using the Slumberjack as well and it’s a good and much cheaper alternative. Eventually I’ll get a 270, but for now I like this setup.

5 Likes

Thats a sick setup! What methods are those?

I’ve been rocking the ARB 2500 with aluminum housing for over a year now on the passenger side.

There are times where we choose not to put it up, but it’s easy enough to do with one person. I can set it up while my wife sets up camp, or if she helps it’s less than 5 minutes to set up.

The amount of coverage out from the truck is super nice. You do have to deal with the dogs on a lead issue, and the back isn’t covered.

Those last two things are the only reason I’m starting to look at 270s that don’t require poles.

1 Like

That is an awesome setup! What methods are you running? Leveling kit?

Thanks! They’re Method 306’s. I have King 2.5’s all the way around with Deaver U748 leaf pack in the rear.

That Slumberjack awning looks awesome. I got a small 5’ tepui awning for the passenger side but hardly ever use it, cause like others have said, setting up an awning is a pain.

The Slumberjack appeals to me since I never really setup my awning if I’m only camping at a site for a night, since most of the day I’m out and not near the truck. So instead of having a dinky awning that’s full time on my GFC I could just grab the Slumberjack and only bring it when I know I’ll be hunkered down at a site for two nights +

2 Likes

Does anyone have The Bush Company 270 XT Awning? I’m looking to see if it works well with the GFC and how to best mount it. https://www.thebushcompanyusa.com/product/270-xt-awning/

Has anyone tried the 270XT by the bush company on there GFC camper? If so what brackets, likes, or dislikes?

Mahalo,
Abel

Sorry that I missed this, we did. I replaced the strap with a carabiner that clips perfectly into the open loop of the GFC lock. We keep the strap handy if we wanted to use it with the GFC closed (then the strap goes to out roof rack.

1 Like

Hi There GoHike - curious if you have any further pics of the Bush XT mounted to your GFC. Are you liking it? About to pull the trigger on one!

I picked this Hasika awning up on Amazon last year for about $120. I replaced the lines and tensioners with Nite Ize cam locks. It works OK for what it is and only takes about 5 minutes to set up now that I’ve done it a few times. Two types of poles: the fiber glass rods that are just like standard collapsible tent poles that give the awning it’s shape and 2, 4 piece aluminum poles that hold up the end. They are pretty cheap material and I might replace them in the future. I can lower it to the ground by removing sections from the poles, which works well in higher winds. It fits right over the rear GFC panel so there is no gap for rain to find.
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Hasika-Waterproof-Resistant-Multifunction-Traveling/dp/B00ZKYSCOM/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3TUWZ2XBGOPOD&dchild=1&keywords=hasika+tent%2Fshade+awning&qid=1623509884&sprefix=hasi%2Caps%2C159&sr=8-3

I ended up with… don’t laugh…Shady Boy awning. I really like it. 10ftX6ft with a aluminum case weighing in at only 14 lbs. Self supporting or optional poles for breezy conditions. For me it’s easy to set up and tear down one person, probably not as easy as Kingsman or Ez Awn Swift and others but the weight savings is worth it to me, and it is actually simple to deploy. Used the GFC side brackets installation was painless. Shady Boy is made in Canada with USA materials. I’m happy with it. If you’re a weight weenie or can get by with 10 x 6 ft awning then check it out.

6 Likes

I am pleased with the OVS 270 LT awning. Not too bulky, easy deployment, and decent coverage.

2 Likes

Sounds intriguing. Got any pics of it deployed and put away on the GFC?