Awnings! What are your thoughts?

I might be able to post some tomorrow.

Happy with the Overland Pros Wraptor. Found it when the OVS Nomad was on backorder for 6 months last Winter.

1 Like

@gwiz here ya go.

3 Likes

The case is about 4 foot and 14 lbs. These actually have been around for a long time, original design was for VW vans, they have a good following with the VW crowd but really never caught on else where. I like to keep the weight down if possible, I really like this thing.

4 Likes

That looks really cool. I’ll keep it in mind if I decide to get an awning. Thanks @Trout

They don’t list a price on their website. Do you mind me asking how much they run? Thanks.

The Shady Boy was around $350, the aluminum case in black is a option I think was about $40. I had tent poles already but they are a option for breezy conditions I believe was $35. Shipping from Canada I don’t remember but I’m in WA just across the street from Canada. It was into $400 somewhere. The website is messed up, you can’t order from website, you have to call or email to get a quote. Check some reviews out online, negative reviews are hard to find.

1 Like

Has any used the MoonFab Awning? If so, what’s your thoughts with set up and take down?

The reviews online seem pretty solid! Seems like possible easy set up with GFC!

3 Likes

I’ve been emailing back and forth about the Kinsmen awning. They need a V2 camper to test on, so they can produce a new bracket. If you use anything other than the provided bracket for your specific model, then the warranty is void.

I have an order in for a GFC V2 RTT that’s supposed to be completed soon, so hoping to make a trip up to their place and get a test fitment done.

1 Like

I just got a shady boy based on this thread. I ended up paying about $600 including the poles and shipping to the Portland Oregon area.

I’m going to be installing an OVS 270 LT by myself in the GFC parking lot after my camper is installed. Any tips or things I should know before hand? Thanks!

I like my shady boy. 15 lbs. Free standing in low wind. Aluminum case. Replacement parts available.10x6 in a 4 ft case.
@mcmackoutside what are your thoughts now that you have one?

Will let you know after this weekend!

It was a pretty simple install. But if you want it high enough to open the side panels fully, you have to use a couple brackets to raise it up a couple inches.

I just cut a couple pieces of aluminum flat stock and it works great.

3 Likes

I added a 1/2 spacer on the bottom bolt so my side panel opens up fully.

1 Like

I just put on the rhino rack batwing 270 awning using the gfc universal brackets. The hardware for the awning only came with 4 t bolts for the track on the awning so i’ve reached out to rhino rack to see if i can get a couple more to make this more secure. I also just found some wing nuts to secure the bolts down onto the rack itself. For installing, it was a little bit of a pain since there isn’t much room to tighten things so i ended up mounting the gfc brackets first on the gfc then had a friend help lift the awning while we twisted the wing nuts onto the bolts

On my previous van and imminent GFC camper:

Eye bolts, tarp, poles, carabiners.

Less than $100, super light, easy to deploy, no mpg loss, no theft, multipurpose, handles rain, multiple sizes and colors, easily replaceable, etc.

2 Likes

I want the kinsmen, in SoCal if you don’t have shade it’s not fun chilling next to the rig. That thing supposedly is built to resist hefty wind gusts, just a trade off for the weight though.

There’s more than a few people looking forward to a Kinsmen. That bad boy is 70lbs…The GFC is definitely over-engineered and well built but do we know what kind of weight the extruded channel can handle?
AKA: Who’s got all kinds of heavy crap strapped to the side of our beloved GFC and how’s it working out?

I’ve had the kinsmen on my V1 for over two years and I’ve loved it with no problems. The only complain I have is that it prevents my side panel from opening fully. Even with a new 2.5" suspension and bigger wheels the panel sits low enough where my head can hit the panel if I’m not watching out. I’m 6 ft. I’ve thought about fabricating a piece of steel to raise the kinsmen a couple of inches but it has been a low priority issue.

1 Like