Awnings! What are your thoughts?

I’ve had kinsmen on my truck since 8/19 and have had no problems. Highly recommend this awning.

1 Like

For no wait and getting the same thing as a Kinsmen - I highly recommend the ALu-cab. It’s what I have and it’s sturdy as hell.

1 Like

I have this awning as well it’s pretty awesome, you get amazing coverage and it’s relatively simple and quick to set up. It’s also very versatile with the sidewalls if you ever seen meeting more privacy and exposed areas. I’ve also had some friends use the side walls and essentially camp out of it with a tarp down on the ground.

The only issue is the tiedown points when you have the camper popped up your only option is to go off your ball bar closest to the front of your vehicle for both tiedown points when you have your awning all the way extended. I am looking for some aftermarket T-Slot tiedown points that I could set up along the lower extrusion pieces to solve this issue if anyone has any recommendations please let me know!

This is exactly what I’m looking for is to raise up the awning slightly so that my side door opens completely and also is a little higher up for my taller friends! You just cut a couple pieces of aluminum? Do you feel satisfied that these will be sturdy enough through where in tear over the years? Did you only use two of the universal brackets? Or do you have 3+3 of the added aluminum pieces?

@MikePrado What tiedown point are you using for the front of your vehicle there in that image?

I don’t have a pic. But I tie it down to my rock slider on the passenger side and throw in an old towel on the area that the string touches on the paint.

@Clon1c The brackets are a permament fix. There is very little extra stress, havent moved, and do not flex.

I am using just two of the brackets but may add a third when I do my hinge upgrade on the sides.

I use my 270 awning all the time and still love it. One of my favorite pieces of kit.

EDIT 9/25/21: I upgraded my V1 GFC hinges yesterday and added a third awning bracket. The third awning bracket makes it much sturdier and is probably the way to go.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Shoot i only bought 3 mounts, i guess i need one more

1 Like

Exactly what I did. I went to t to he forum and saw most were using two mounts so I bought three to be safe then learned GFC recommends four. Worth the wait to be sure everything is in place properly

1 Like

I think the Kinsmen is on the heavier end of the market because it is completely free standing, built to withstand high winds, and its demonstrated with the owner hanging from the bars. That being said, the Kinsmen V1 has 3 side mounts and one rear mount. The 3rd side mount and rear mount are one wrap around piece. Since a lot of awnings will be lighter I would think 3 brackets is just fine unless there has been a strength rating change in the V2 camper track.

1 Like

When I bought the V1 brackets GFC said 2 brackets would be fine for the ARB 2500 awning I have. It was on my V1 with the two V1 brackets for 20 months and was just fine. When I had the hinges replaced they provided two new awning mounts and those have been working fine for the last 10 months. Not positive on the weight but I would estimate the awning weight around 35 pounds.

1 Like

Four brackets are recommended for the 270 awnings which typically weigh 60+ . IMO it’s worth the money to ensure everything is as secure as possible

The OVS Nomadic 270 LT Is 53lbs and has been fine with two brackets. No flex in moderate winds. But I do plan to add a third bracket just to be safe.

GFC has told me two brackets should be fine for this awning.

I would definately use 3 or 4 brackets with the heavier 270 awnings.

EDIT 9/25/21: I upgraded my V1 GFC hinges yesterday and added a third awning bracket. The third awning bracket makes it much sturdier and is probably the way to go.

2 Likes

@adv_riggs does the LT bolt right up to the GFC brackets? I have one coming this week.

@Hoooogan Yes, but is a little low. See posts above for solutions (around Aug 20 this was discussed).

2 Likes

@adv_riggs Thanks! Looks like I’ll be making my own brackets instead.

1 Like

Great! Thank you for the Info! I also meant to ask when you have your tent popped up in your awning deployed where do you attach both your front and rear ratchet straps to?
P.S. What’s your “hinge set up on the side” plan? :face_with_monocle:

@Slowboater do you have any photos of how you mounted your AluCab Shadow Awning to your GFC? I just picked one up and I’m figuring it out… thanks

1 Like