Awnings! What are your thoughts?

@Slowboater Awesome, thanks!!

And whoa, what’s the rearmost mount?
Still interested what you think about this option? Will the Kinsman 90 degreee rear mount work in that rear position along with the 2 GFC mounts?
Found your post, thanks!! Alu-cab Shadow Awning - #83 by Kasra

Contact @AlexaB . He made these for V1. I don’t know if he’s making them for V2 or not. It’s bitchin’! There’s info about them on another thread somewhere.

@Slowboater just PM’d AlexaB about a V1 passenger side mount, much appreciated!

Any idea if the Kinsman rear mount would work for the AluCab?

Thanks

Yes, but the dude at Kinsman (I don’t remember his name) is a bit religious about his mounts only being used on his awnings. If Alex will make you one - I can’t recommend him enough. He was super cool and easy to deal with. He kept following up to make sure the install went well etc etc.

Make sure you have 2 guys to help you mount the awning. I tried with just one other person and it was a pain. I conscripted another buddy and it was easy peasy.

Cheers,

3 Likes

With the Kinsman being over $2.1k now and being on the heavy side, I’m also looking real hard at the Alucab awning. Hoping that @AlexaB is down to make a mount for a GFC V2.

5 Likes

I love my Kinsman. It holds up in the most intense winds here on the NC coast.

1 Like

Finally got my OVS 270 LT mounted. Two brackets felt weak, three worked, four provides extra peace of mind. Happy I waited.

5 Likes

@Ten8_overland Nice bracket riser/locks!!

I added a third bracket to my OVS 270 LT and agree. Three is very sturdy.

3 Likes

Got my OVS270 installed a few weeks ago and finally have it up and with the walls. Its very cozy. I used three brackets because that is what the awning came with. The OG awning brackets are pretty beefy.

1 Like

Thanks @adv_riggs . I didn’t want to leave the awning mounted all the time. I was able to modify some RackBrax to fit so now she’s detachable. Only complaint is the cost of the RackBrax but the option to remove is epic.

1 Like

Those rackbrax are sweet! pricey though!

1 Like

Also, I sure like how the V2 has the pistons inboard. Not having anything on the outside of the tent sure is a cleaner look.

1 Like

@Slowboater - yeah those RackBrax cost as much as my awning :grimacing:

1 Like

Nothing back from @AlexaB yet on the mount… anyone seen him lately?

Love the RackBrax, but noticed they recommend no more than 44lb per bracket. I know the awning weighs less than 100lbs in total, but when deployed it could produce much more ft. lbs. in certain conditions. What is your opinion regarding the “sturdiness” of the brackets.

1 Like

I honestly never thought about the awning adding weight to the brackets when deployed. With four brackets displacing the weight across the tent track, and each bracket rated at 44lbs. max, I assumed it would work. I have not noticed any issues while driving or deployed. With a light wind I would use the legs for added support. anything beyond a light breeze, I would put her away for sure. I’m now slightly concerned my assumption that the four RackBrax might not be strong enough. However, IMO during the install, these RackBrax are not weak or brittle. They mounted easily enough and felt adequate to say the least. Looking forward to hearing from others :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

thats what I use…so simple

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing your mounts! We have a 4Runner with a V2 RTT and an OVS LT 270 and I really want to figure out a quick release system that feels sturdy, too. I’m digging having a locking pin, hadn’t seen that yet. It’s my daily driver.

We ran into an issue with the new locks on the tent and how far back we had to mount the awning to clear the back of the tent for the wrap around the back of the vehicle. Basically we just don’t lock that side, but if we did, the awning would be in the way of getting a key in there. We used three GFC V2 Universal Brackets and mounted straight to the t-track on the awning with the included bolts and some extra M8s we bought. We’ve discussed making the key a 90 or just drilling out that side so there’s no chance of it being an issue. Wondering if it would be mute if/when we change to a quick release system.

Do you have a V2 and if so, does this give you enough clearance to get the key in there between the awning and the tent?
On the flip side, does that gap potentially let in more rain or snow if you’re using the awning for cover?

We were thinking it would be cool to use the awning in the backyard somehow when not on the vehicle. There are clever people here so any ideas on that idle thought? :joy:

1 Like

I have the V2 and have room for the key although I hardly, if ever, lock my top. I haven’t had her in the rain or snow yet but I’d imagine some would get through. My awning was intended more for shade than inclement weather in sunny SoCal :grin:. Only the future will tell

1 Like

Just threw on an OVS 270 LT with three GFC brackets on a V2. And what a shit show. The awning extrusion is so wide/tall, you have no adjustability on the bracket. It uses to first and last holes. I did the bottom two T-slots on the camper and let me tell you, that is a snug fit. Barely enough room to get an Allen key inbetween the awning and tnut bolts. So if you need to move the brackets for whatever reason, take the awning off. Also goes without saying, make sure the Tnuts properly seat when you tighten things down. I saw two that didn’t rotate all the way and what a fiasco.

Then came the awning hardware. You get two sets of long and two set of short bolts. Get shorter bolts if possible. Scratch that, go get shorter bolts, it will make your life a little easier. I used the long bolts on the bottom and there was not enough clearance between the bolt and the camper extrusion to get a ratcheting wrench. It was box end of the wrench on a 1.25" long bolt, going 1/3 turn at a time. Times three bolts.

Next was the damn latch lock. I made the mistake of locking it. I had to undo the Velcro cover on the back to get the key on. Then once the button popped out, I had to basically take the awning back off to get the key off. I decided to take the key and bend the tab over at a 90°, so it cuts the height in half. Now that fits with no issues.

In this lowest position on the V2, the door still opens nearly all the way, so you don’t lose any access. Anyways, that was my rant. I’m happy, disappointed and frustrated all at the same time, but the awning is on and probably never coming off.

14 Likes