Awnings! What are your thoughts?

This was exactly the experience I had installing my 270 OVS… am happy with it but its never coming off!

1 Like

Just installed my OVS 270 awning. I had the same issue as the key wouldn’t go in so I just removed the lock entirely. I feel they will lock me out long before they prevent some kind of theft or something. They just seem so fragile.

3 Likes

Just read this whole thread. Jeezus! I get it. Spending $$$ on an awning sucks, but the hassle of dealing with a flimsy or janky one doesn’t fly either. Have used a 6’x8’ FSR for some time now. I live in the PNW and have always thought that you get what you pay for. Kinsmen has done the legwork to be compatible with the GFC. Just bit the bullet. will post pics once I actually have it.
#840 V1.75

5 Likes

Hey Chuck,

How did you remove your lock? I’m assuming you’re still able to close the latch with it removed?

On the back side of the lock there is a nut you can just unbolt it and the lock pulls out. It’s hidden behind the closing latch. You could always remove the one lock on the awning side and keep the other, which will be more accessible.

After installing my OVS 270 Awning I was concerned that the side panels open too far and will wear through the fabric. As you can see in the photo below.

Also, I did not like how the panels open beyond horizontal. I contacted Suspa, who make the gas springs for GFC. They found me a spring that has the same closed dimensions but opens 1” less - part # C16-12104 (GFCXL I assume all models have the same side door springs?)

These new springs solve both problems and they are exact replacements. My doors are easier to reach, slope slightly out for drainage and do not touch the awning. Bonus is they make a great beer table for the upstairs!

Some more photos

Before

Difference

After! (Near level)

Still lots of head room

10 Likes

How many of you actually use your awning? I’ve had them in the past, but very rarely used them. Not sure if it is worth it.

1 Like

I will be removing mine soon and selling it. In almost two years of having the GFC, I put it out and used it once. I usually just open up all the side panels and sit in the bed if I want shade. Same for rain, the side panels don’t flap in high winds, I can set up my stove in the bed of the truck with only one panel open if I need weather protection… The awning has only proven to be extra weight and cost with no added value for me.

1 Like

@DrTRDPro i used my smittybilt awning infrequently because it was kind of a pain to set up. And it had minimal rain protection. So i replaced it with a 270. I use the OVS 270 LT a lot more because of the quick setup/takedown and added protection.

1 Like

Awnings are tools. It really depends a lot on how, when and where you adventure. Since you don’t seem to need the extra shade/shelter, it isn’t worth it. But for someone in rain/snow or hot sunny weather, it is much more useful. My awning(s) have saved more than a few trips from being miserably hot or wet. I can’t imagine not having one available.

2 Likes

I have lots of room and payload capacity so it’s nice to have. If you’re nearing your GVWR then you need to start prioritizing your add ons!

I’ve deployed my awning more times than my GFC. I’ll put it out for breakfast lunch and dinner, and a beverage in the evening. I have had it deployed at home in the front yard with beer in the cooler and my boom box blasting (rural no neighbors). Honestly, I’ve got more complements on the awning then the camper, weird. I use it all the time. This is my first awning and I didn’t know if I would like it or use it, well, like it and use it all the time the wind allows. A breeze is ok, wind not so much.

2 Likes

I live and work in so cal, it’s a must to have a awning on the rig if you live/ work out of your truck

1 Like

Just bought the 6k. Would you mind letting me know what brackets you used?

Thank you.

I have the same awning and for the key issue I just bent one of the latch lock keys 90 degrees to shorten it and now it fits to unlock and lock it.

2 of the GFC brackets

I did the Chuck D strut mod today…. One inch shorter strut makes all the difference and now the panel doesn’t touch the closed awning bag (OVS 270)

You can see the difference between the new and the original ones in terms of how much travel they’ve got upwards…

7 Likes

I went with an Overland Pros 6K Awning. I used three brackets and it fits perfectly… Also bought the walls as well. tHis thing was built super well and can’t wait to use it again.

3 Likes

Hey bud-

I have a moonfab one. On my way to MT to have an RTT installed in my 4runner. Will hook this up and take some pics.

My plan is to buy eye bolts that work with the t nuts and maybe work some carabiners? Not really sure, bit Im pumped to have an awning thay can come and go and also be on either side. Same reason I’ll be buying two sets of the mantis hooks, either side is in play.

1 Like

This looks perfect for my use. I really like that it can be taken off the vehicle and stowed away safe and sound. Living in western Colorado I drive a lot of tight forest service roads. I fear for the safety of anything that’s mounted to side of my truck.

At OverlandSoftgoods.com we are testing a shower enclosure design that can be easily put on and taken off. I’ll give up a little convience compared to having stuff strung to the truck. But “hey”, what’s convenient about having to go back on the trail and pick gear up that was torn off by a tree limb?

I think that I’ll be ordering a MoonShade!