Awnings! What are your thoughts?

Has anyone tried the Overland Underbudget DIY awning for a v2 GFC? Im curious about compatibility with our mounts and our hinges.

3 Likes

after reading this thread about problems hanging 270ā€™s, I think Iā€™ll stick with my moon-type awning, too! Although I am thinking about having a tarp-awning I can attach to one side, so that I could have a little shade with side open. Once I do it, will post a pic.

I have ran ARB in the past with zero issues. They also have really good customer service. The most recent ARB was the new one with built in LED strip.

3 Likes

Agreed, ARBā€™s customer service is outstanding. The zipper failed on my 4ā€™ awning and they just sent me a new awning. To boot, they let me pick which awning to replace it with. So of course I picked the 6ā€™ with the built in LED :smiley:

Yes! They are always super easy to deal with. They might not be top tier when it comes to awnings, but they hold up, and you get the support to go with it.

Just got it on with 3 brackets and tested it in Death Valley. Soooo solid.

Thank you , sir.

I really donā€™t understand the desire for folks to hang heavy $1500 or more awnings on top of their rigs.

ARB seems like the sweet spot on weight/quality/price.

Can anyone confirm that two GFC awning brackets are adequate in supporting an ARB 2500 awning?

3 Likes

I think its apples to oranges hereā€¦ the super expensive ones are the 270 degree ones while the cheaper ( not quality wise) ones are the traditional rectangular ones

2 brackets should be enough to support the ARB 2500

4 Likes

@Thomas when I had my Ursa Minor, I ran two brackets with the ARB 2500. No issues.

1 Like

Same desire for us to buy a GFC over a ground tent. Because it does something different and we wanted it.

Aside from the obvious additional shelter coverage, I personally like the 15 sec setup and ~30 sec pack away of my OVS 270 LT, on top of the unsupported wind strength. Iā€™ve had it freestand in ~20mph wind. I wouldnā€™t dare deploy an ARB in anything more than a mild breeze.

2 Likes

Got the MoonShade hooked up today. It was super easy.

1. Go to hardware store, get two 1/4 20 eye bolts.
  2. Attach those eye bolts with two of the T nuts from GFC, ideally at either end of whichever side you like.
  3. Attach carabiners to eye bolts
  4. Attach Moonshade to carabiners.
  5. Chillax.

10 Likes

Nice work. I was planning on something similar with a tarp and tarp poles. Been trying to think how I want to make a mount bracket but the eye bolt seems way easier.

I really like my Costco awning. Had it for a few years now. Even picked up side panels and occasionally use it as a second sleeping area for extra peopleā€¦ no pics of it for some reason

I have a V1 GFC and just took delivery of a Bush Company 270 xt awning. The GFC brackets arenā€™t quite big enough so I thought Iā€™d order a kinsmen mounting bracket to modify and to help out with the mounting.
Kinsmen rejected my orderā€¦ He said it would tarnish his brandā€¦
For an industry and hobby that is built on modification and creativity to solve a problem, that seemed like a bit of a slap in the face. Iā€™m not in a place to drop $2500 on one of his awnings so now Iā€™m not allowed to use any of his products?
Maybe Iā€™m wrong but this seems like an amazingly narrow mindset and Iā€™ll be avoiding their brand. Bummer.

4 Likes

Hey, question about your Racksbrax - could they mount directly to the extrusion using 1/4-20 T-nuts?

Iā€™m picking up my camper next week and wondering if I need their universal mounting brackets. My awning is about 20 pounds so wondering if can keep it tight to the camper using just the Racksbrax.

In case Ten8 doesnā€™t get to you immediately -

Unfortunately, there was no way to mount the Racksbrax directly to the GFC utility tracks. The holes to attach the Racksbrax are too large for the GFC 1/4 20 bolt head, so youā€™d have to use a different bolt with a larger head and longer length to get it to work.

I ended up using the GFC Universal Mounts with the Racksbrax awning mounts shown below. You can see how large the Racksbrax mounting holes are on the left side.

3 Likes

Yeah, he was like that to me too. The awnings are just a small side gig for him from what I understand. I thought he was a bit of a T**t but he has a right to be if he wants. Iā€™ve only had a couple email exchanges with him so YMMV.

1 Like

Has anyone tried or been able to mount an awning flush to the GFC extrusion without using brackets? Iā€™m not a fan of the gap between the back plate of the awning and the GFC. I believe with the V1 the gap was required due to the strut being on the outside of the extrusion but donā€™t think there would be anything else in the way on the v2? I have a ROAM awning currently and picking up my GFC at the end of May so will try and figure something out when I have both in my possession but figured Iā€™d ask here. I was able to accomplish this on my current custom Prinsu-style rack on my topper and love the tidy look, but was able to do so because I had access to the other side of the rack to bolt through. So Iā€™m thinking I may have to drill through the back of the awning to feed a bolt through but that may interfere with closing it back up. I know it may be a long shot trying to do the same on the GFC.

1 Like

Iā€™d recommend using the brackets or something similar. Iā€™ve seen other vendors out there who sell similar brackets which could be used or modified to fit.

1 Like