Awnings! What are your thoughts?

I just received both my FSR 270 awning and annex room with awning poles. Did anyone recall if the shipping weight on the 270 awning my 55lbs? I know that FSR has only one 270 awning and that’s the one that’s rated at 37lbs. But after receiving it today. I noticed in the shipping label was at 55lbs. At an additional 18lbs what could raise the weight aside from the mounting hardware and large cardboard box? I haven’ opened it yet in case I need to return it because they “may” have sent me a heavier awning. Otherwise I’ll have to call in on Monday as they’re closed today

Looking to upgrade to a 270 or 180 awning, any recommendations?
Currently have the standard awning mounts but contemplating an upgrade to the new billet ones. Would love for it to work with a quick release system but I assume a 270 is going to be difficult with that

Sounds like you need a scale. Shippers will commonly put higher weights because they are lazy, or there will be extra mass of packing materials involved.

Just got my new Kammok Crosswing awning mounted up with 3x GFC brackets. So far, it seems like a solid product. Stoked at how damn easy it is to deploy. Just pull it out, tighten the fabric, and it’s good to go. Less than 30 seconds to deploy, and probably less than that to put it away.

5 Likes

Looks pretty awesome. Strongly considering one of these, but I also have my eye on the Clevershade that Basil’s Garage offers. Only 22lbs. The Kammok feels a lot simpler.

20240122_152912_wm
I’ve scaled 3 of them. The newer mode which you have comes in at 41-42 lbs as seen on a pallet scale. You’ll still want to be sure you install it with 3! GFC Universal mounting brackets. Not 2!

:pickup_truck:+:tent:=:slightly_smiling_face:!
Mark (& Teresa)
Hampstead Maryland

• Purpose Built Adventure Rig © •
Ford Ranger FX4 - GFC Camper V2 #1919

• Kia Soulverlander • Nissan Xterra Off-Road •

www.OutOfOfficeCamping.com

2 Likes

Oh snap, I saw you on Phil’s yt channel! Are you, down to MOB!?

1 Like

Worlds lightest camper meets the worlds lightest awning

6 Likes

Thank you! Did you have any favorite spots on his video rig tour?

Love that super light weight awning you installed. I would have considered one of those clear bubble styles to give a bit more retro 70’s vibe. Lol not to.mention you get a wonderdul 360 degree - 3D veiw!

:pickup_truck:+:tent:=:slightly_smiling_face:!
Mark (& Teresa)
Hampstead Maryland

• Purpose Built Adventure Rig © •
Ford Ranger FX4 - GFC Camper V2 # 1919

• Kia Soulverlander • Nissan Xterra Off-Road •

I liked your aluminum cabinet and hearing how you mocked it with cardboard and did all the bends yourself. Was hoping to see inside, like what kind of stuff you have in there and how it opens. Was curious about your office setup too, I presume that’s why it’s so open in the truck bed, for a laptop station maybe. Tell Phil to come do a PNW tour!

Yes, Costco has no clear umbrellas lol.

1 Like

Thank you Brian, I would have enjoyed showing the inside. So much to show in a rig tour and so little time. I’ll be sure to show this in one of our videos on our channel. Actuality you may be confused our website / YouTube is Out Of Office Camping. In the back of the truck I do use it for a work truck. I do stone work. So I haul shovels, levels, straw bales, or my low voltage lighting stuff. With this open minimum floor plan makes it so nice.

Full time camping mod each of the lids lift up like a trunk. The large one has a stove, propane bottles, leveling blocks, food storage, rug, sleeping bag, blanket, toilet plus toiletries, My Mini, hot water maker, cushion, 2 18"step stools, crocks.

The short side drivers top has 2 Devos light Ranger 1200, filters, motion sensor 2 sets of ShittCo rods, 1 set adjustable Elephants tent poles, awning stakes, 4 fire starters, lavander spray, toilet paper, toilet bags, small hand sanitizer. Next to the Milwaukee packout I have a Blue Ridge Overland Bag velcroed on the inside wall with 2 bug light/ zappers, CO monitor/ smoke defector, rubber gloves. On the other side of the packout over wheel well, 2 camp towls, camp chair and 3 pool noodles cut for the awning when I open the GFC doors.

Wow that’s a lot of stuff in all those. LoL no Umbrella that’s in the truck.

I’ll do a video and let you know when I put it up.
20240309_143133_wm
20240318_134219_wm
20240318_134047_wm

As for the mockup I used some cardboard but actually 1/2" foam insulation. I’ll have a Youtube video of the build on our channel in the future. I’m still playing catch up on my YouTube content.

Thank you for checking out my build and feedback. I really had a good time making and bending all the metal. What seems like it would only take a couple days ended up being a week. Best week spent making something which works so well.

4 Likes

This is amazing, the solid sides make so much sense!

1 Like

Thank you. I agree. I should start another thread since this one was about awnings not build outs. Lol

Anyone have a Yakima Majorshady 270? How awning mounts did you need for it? How’s the experience been?