Cabana 706 Simple Build

Love seeing the evolution. How are you liking the white on silver? Did you go that route for heat reasons? I also have a silver 3rd gen and I’m getting closer to my GFC being built though currently with a “gray”. Seeing yours has me second guessing. :wink: Peace.

I went white because I like the look. Heat deflection is an added advantage. Generally, I hate when things looks like there was an attempt to match and its a miss.

Peace.

2 Likes

Maxtrax mounted directly to the yakima bars.

I had 3 extra yakima mounting brackets so I just used those. Why pay for some maxtrax mounting system? Yeah, I know what you’re thinking. “What about theft?” I’ll use a bike lock to secure them if I’m in a situation that I’m worried. I did drill a rear mounting hole as I only had 3 mounting brackets.

About $4 in hardware and I used some extra yakima crap I had laying around. Yay! If you decide to mount your maxtrax this way, the yakima brackets are available directly from yakima or Amazon. Cheap. $15-20.

Peace.

2 Likes

Damn, those maxtrax recovery tracks aren’t cheap!

Peace.

Added a simple camper mirror. Works great for shaving and contact lenses…

Used a cheap visor mirror that I found on Amazon attached to a small scrap of wood. Used a bracket to attach it to the GFC under one of the bedrail cap nuts. I store it in my cargo trunk most of the time. Simple install when camping.

Peace.

2 Likes

Dang, and u got the updated hinges (no rivets). I’m jelly

Pictures of the simple build packed for a weekend fishing trip sleeping in bunk mode. I keep my bedding in the black trunk all the time. I keep all my kitchen crap in a small tub so that makes packing a snap. Chairs and ladder are in there full time as well. Just add cooler, water, and firewood (when necessary).
Needless to say, when my wife comes along, the back is packed tighter…

Peace.

3 Likes

How is your suspension handling now after you’ve been out fully loaded? I’m trying to go the route you did. I pack light prob 250lbs of gear at most. I just got my GFC and want to keep my Tacoma close to stock height but worry about bottoming out on the leafs.

The suspension is fine. With a heavy load including water and firewood, it will bottom out occasionally. With a lighter load, it won’t bottom out. It drives like stock when empty. That’s what I really appreciate. Most of the time, the truck is basically empty.

Peace.

1 Like

Copied a great idea from this forum to add a simple side table to cabaña 706. Had this finished piece of wood hanging around so I used it. Ideally the table would be a little bigger, but
with this piece of wood it’s easy to store in the camper.

Peace.

12 Likes

Just added a mount and height extension for my solar shower using one awning mount, a 3/4" aluminum rod, and some rope ties.

Fill the shower on the ground, hoist it up to the top, tie off with two half hitches, then shower!

My shower is untested. I will report back after first use. I believe it will work adequately.

Peace.

2 Likes

My “friend” wants to know if this works with a bag of wine. Pls report back.

15 Likes

Those work great. Get a black one and they really heat up in the sun.

Where did you get the westfastia sticker?

A friend of mine cut it. I shamelessly modified the westfalia art…

Peace.

any chance I could buy one from ya :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you end up making them actually can I get in on a few of them too!

Thanks!

Peace!

Yes. Decals haven’t been my friend’s focus recently. If I can get him tp print some more, I’ll share here.

Peace.

I printed mine a little smaller and this is how it turned out!

3 Likes

If you print more I’m willing to buy one off you!

1 Like