Cabana 706 Simple Build

I will let you know!

Thanks big dawg!! :love_you_gesture:t4:

Added this to the build today…

Food box drawers. For chips, canned foods, cookies, bread, tortillas, etc. that don’t need to be in the cooler. Made it to easily uninstall with the one strap if needed. I’ll probably just leave it in all the time, though. We’ll see…

Peace.

1 Like

I like the paracord to keep the drawers closed. I appreciate the simplicity of your build. Some of the goose gear style builds hurt my head to look at. :call_me_hand::call_me_hand:

1 Like

Added this simple cargo net to the front of my cargo bin. Currently, it’s untested, but I think it will loom large to keep secure some odds 'n ends that usually end up bouncing around the camper on rough roads.

So simple it’s almost stupid.

Peace.

Added a water saver handwash station to the cabaña today. Stows perfectly in the cabaña behind my shovel and hi-lift. One more thing that remains ready that I don’t have to dig out when setting up camp. Hand towel is retractable. And hopefully, since it’s tethered, it won’t get lost. We’ll see…

Peace.

3 Likes

With the Tractor Supply Box was there enough head room to sit on comfortably on the box or is it too tall? (Obviously before you put the storage bins on top). I like the idea of this, but also want to have a storage solution where I can still throw the cushion panels on for seating.

The TSC box is too tall for sitting even without the dry food boxes. I use the floor of the truck bed for sitting. I kept the dry food storage boxes low enough to not impede myrear view through the windows.

Peace.

I added some security and versatility to the build today…

As all GFC owners know, the panel locks are adequate, but could be a bit more secure. So, I had been thinking about how to increase security if I was to leave the camper at a trailhead for an extended time or park in a place that didn’t seem as secure as I’d like. I have a V1 and I have the @jedgar rear hatch sliders which can be slid into place even with the rear camper locks locked. That offers some additional security because the hatch can’t be opened with them deployed. I often did that and used the side panel access to slide them back to allow the rear panel to be opened.

That leaves the side panels… They were still not super secure with just the GFC locks and I need to open them to release the rear jedgar sliders. Here is what I came up with:

I used a cable to secure the door utilizing the GFC holes in the internal panel lip. I used little D-rings from Home Depot. The cable is secured at the front and rear to the GFC camper tabs on the V1 using pad locks. The cable allows enough opening room to reach in and move the jedgar sliders back, but the side panels won’t open completely. The added benefit is doggie venting when camping. The panels will stay open with the cable in place, but the panel can’t be opened because of the cable. I will likely fashion a prop-rod of some kind to keep the panels taut against the cable if it’s windy. I haven’t added that yet. My main mission was increasing security.

When not needed, I just store in the front corner locked to the GFC tab.

I know the new contraption isn’t super secure, but is one more level of security with the cable and jedgar sliders. A would-be thief may give up before getting in. I hope…

Peace.

Here’s what I used to put it together. All bought at Home Depot.

Peace.

2 Likes

Bedding storage…
The quilt, electric blanket, extra sheet, and pillows have been taking up space in the truck bed on travel trips or any trip where my wife and I need the electric blanket setup if it will be cold and we’ll have access to electricity.
I came up with this to hoist the bedding out of the way. Making it easy to retrieve and stow, and not interfering with my rear view window view when stowed.

Brackets:

Loading bedding:

Stowed by tightening the straps:

I will generally leave this setup home when going solo without my wife. Its easy to disassemble and store in my tuff shed.

Peace.

8 Likes

Great post and thread. Love the customizations you have made.
Especially the hanging shelf.
Very nice work :raised_hands::raised_hands::clap::clap:

Thanks. I appreciate that. Honestly, I feel like a lot of my additions are kinda ghetto, but they work. My build is super basic, but that makes evolution easier because nothing is too complex or too built in. Hopefully my posts trigger some ideas for others. I don’t expect anyone to adopt my ideas exactly. Ha!

Peace.

2 Likes

What type of brackets? And how did you mount to the ceiling/floor?

I bolted them through the front sleeping panel with a 1/4" bolt and lock nut. The tops of the bolts stick up a bit, but they’re unnoticeable beneath the sleeping pad.

Peace.

1 Like

What is Westfastia? Don’t judge too hard, I’m from the swamps in south Louisiana :joy:

“WESTFASTIA” is a Go Fast Camper play on names that comes from VW WESTFALIA camper busses with the clam style pop up tent. I always wanted a VW bus. But once I saw the GFC, I knew that was it.

Peace.

Awesome! Thanks for the learn!

I made it up, btw… My reply kinda makes it sound like its a GFC thing. Its not. They may think its stoopid. Ha!

2 Likes

This is one of my favorite threads yet! Still feels like the spirit of camping that I was raised on (cheap, fun thrills outdoors in your truck)!

1 Like