Cabana 706 Simple Build

Here’s my simple build. No electric or solar or fridges or wiring of any kind.
I will be doing my best throughout the build to avoid anything complex or anything that requires any knowledge or assembly skill. I’m Lazy AF.

I’ll be updating this thread as I get through stuff.

Work day 1
Swept out the bed, added carpet, and bolted the storage bin through the carpet to the bed. Found some 6x8 outdoor carpet on sale at HD for $17 each. Picked up two to double them up and trimmed them to fit the bed. Not super plush, but nice enough. The bin is the 44" TSC plastic jobbie. Should be adequate for my storage needs. Left some space behind the storage bin to throw my ladder and some folding chairs…

Peace.

5 Likes

I am liking it, simple

Thanks. Like I said, I’ll be updating as I get more things added. My plan is to have a nearly empty truck for daily use and have mounts and containers for camping related stuff.

Peace.

1 Like

Thought I’d add my drawer installation to this. I built these previously. While not directly related to the GFC, they’re related to my overall build. I removed my passenger side jump seat from my access cab and replaced it with drawers and shelves.

I store emergency supplies here: recovery gear, extra clothing, my hike survival pack, emergency food/water, emergency cooking gear, and emergency tools.

I also added a storage bin to the interior of the GFC.

Here I store camp related gear: air compressor, tire repair kit, 0 degree sleeping bag, bivi tent and footprint, camp shower, propane, camp clothing wash bag, leveling ramps, tire chocks, and misc. other stuff. Still have room left.

Peace.

4 Likes

I didn’t get much work done today, but…

I decided that I’m not in love with pulling on the tent sides to bring the upper tent rail within reach when closing the tent. I devised this simple gizwidget that can be detached when the tent is closed.

Open

Closed

Detached

Peace.

4 Likes

Added these today. Functionless trash tribute to VW Westfalia busses. A buddy has a vinyl cutter and I plagerized the theme. Came out pretty good.

Peace.

5 Likes

Oooh my girlfriend would love the dead gfc skull I’d buy one from you if you made some.

The numbskull build continues…

Beer cap awning.

Some guy lines will go to trees or stakes in the ground.

All packed up with the stakes and guy lines inside.

Peace.

3 Likes

Wireless solar system.

Charges phones or runs the USB fan…

Peace.

3 Likes

Wireless lighting system.

Chandelier and bug light.

Peace.

1 Like

Onboard latrine.

Peace.

2 Likes

Everything is currently undergoing some form of R&D. Everything is simple, cheap, and effective. Hopefully…

I figured out that 1" hardware is too long for the beer cap awning. 3/4" will be tried tomorrow. The 1" bolts scar the extrusion powder coat.

I’m not sure how the awning will do in wind. I’ll keep this thread updated.

Peace.

Loving the simple build! You should join https://www.facebook.com/groups/pomanoverland2 they specialize in simple items for all things outdoors!

So I was actually already using the 3/4" bolts on the beer cap awning setup yesterday. Those definitely scar the extrusion. I tried the 1/2" bolts today and still get some scarring. I think a washer may move the ends out just enough to prevent scarring. R&D continues…

Peace.

CAMP TABLE MOUNT
using straps and some cool strap brackets that I got from Strapworks.com

Keeps it secure while driving, but out of the way and easily accessible through the side panel.

Peace.

1 Like

Added some flop flop / shoe hooks to the door side of the extrusion.
I don’t like bringing flops or shoes into the tent as they drag dirt or sand near my pillow bc I sleep towards the rear of the truck. These hooks should make hanging my flops easy while keeping them handy to put on before exit down the ladder. Simple.

I used these Cold Shut chain repair gizwidgets as hooks. They needed to be bent outwards a tad to allow easy installation.

Peace.

3 Likes

Just added a jerry can rack that I designed to fit my Thule swing out. Doesn’t give great off road clearance, but does swing out of the way go open the tailgate. I suppose I could remove the swing out for short sections of rough road if the going got really tough.

Peace.

Copied the Dog Rig doggie vent system, but without the adjustability.

Used a shoestring on the side panel. Not sure about long term strength. We’ll see.

Peace.

1 Like

Beer cap awning R&D completed. The awning would be secondary to cabaña mode.

2 washers allow some scarring of the extrusion, but it is reduced. The preferred mounting point of the guy lines would be trees, large bushes or similar. If I had to mount to stakes in the ground, it would work for two seated people. See below.

Couch mode within an open cabaña will still be the first choice go to mode for shade or rain.

I think this awning cost me in the range of $30-40.00. Cheap and easy. I doubt that it’ll stand up to much wind.

Peace.

3 Likes