Camper insulation?

I’m thinking of ideas for my GFC camper on order and want to insulate the side panels. I’m thinking of using a closed cell foam with an adhesive side and gluing some sub box carpet to that to sick patches to. Has anyone done this? I’m curious how much room you have between the diagonal supports on the space frame and the doors?

Got any pics to share?

Look under Builds: Maybe the greatest build? For pics.

3 Likes

I lined all the panels with reflectix. I’m not sure if it is very effective compared to other types of insulation but I believe it helps hold heat better than nothing at all and it’s pretty cheap. I installed it with velcro so I can remove it from the front and rear windows which also provide privacy.

@Kwood could you post some pics? And, if you are camping in the winter at Kirkwood, how effective is it?

@Kootenai, when camping in cold weather it is not that good at retaining heat mostly because you’re going to lose heat out of the tent material unless you insulate that as well. As long as my heater is going it’s toasty and warm while I have been in the snow. I think the reflectix is effective at keeping condensation down in cold weather.
It’s blazing hot in Cali right now and I think the reflective helps keep the inside of the GFC a little bit cooler.

5 Likes

Big fan of that sticker! Where can I find one!

1 Like

I can’t remember where I got the sticker. I got the idea when I saw it on a GFC when I picked up my camper.

@oddball @Kwood: I got mine here: https://tytanium.bigcartel.com/

Anyone try hanging lightweight blankets on the inside of the tent for insulation? If so, how effective was or wasn’t it? I picked mine up 1st week of June so I’m just trying to think ahead to the fall and winter.

I had thought of a couple ways, like 5mm aerogel blankets cut and sealed into some vinyl and hung by velcro. Aerogel’s pretty pricey though, so another thought would be to use some excess woobies, same idea, but cut the woobies to fit. Otherwise…sheets.

I don’t have a heater, or plan to in the near future, just a series of warmer and warmer bags. It is nice to wake up in a reasonable temperature to get dressed rather than sleeping with your clothes at the bottom of the bag and getting a whole 2 seconds of warm clothing.

Just wondering if anyone else had thought of or already done something like this.

Someone posted a while back - thought it was interesting
https://forum.gofastcampers.com/t/the-random-gfc-photo-thread/365/49

2 Likes

Thanks much @wkndvbz - that’s exactly the kind of idea I had been considering! Looks like a great inexpensive setup, and warm enough to keep the bite off in the morning.

2 Likes

When deliberating on insulating your camper’s side panels, leveraging closed-cell foam with an adhesive backing, complemented by sub box carpet patches, is a prudent strategy. Closed-cell foam excels in providing thermal insulation and soundproofing, while the adhesive backing streamlines installation, aligning well with the expertise offered by Insulation Estimating.

Considering the space constraints between the diagonal supports on the space frame and the doors, meticulous measurement becomes imperative. Closed-cell foam’s ability to compress slightly facilitates fitting into tight spaces, ensuring both snugness and insulation effectiveness. Relying on the expertise of Insulation can further refine this process, optimizing both insulation performance and spatial utilization.

The reflectix lining, though cost-effective and removable, may not offer the same level of thermal insulation as closed-cell foam. However, the flexibility provided by Velcro installation for privacy and window access is noteworthy and can be integrated effectively alongside closed-cell foam insulation.

Collaborating with Insulation Estimating Services can provide tailored solutions, ensuring optimal insulation effectiveness, space utilization, and budget alignment for your camper project. Closed-cell foam with adhesive backing and sub box carpet patches emerges as a promising choice, complemented by meticulous planning and professional guidance.