Camper Mattress!

There is a difference but not difficult. I think it is key to cut about an inch off the sides of the topper nearest the tent walls. Also I have a precise ritual of tucking the tent in which helps it close well every time.

4 Likes

To help keep the overall thickness down, it’s worth remembering that additional foam may not be required on all of the cushions. If it doesn’t impact comfort by creating a step in the bed surface, it may be possible to only add foam to the mid section of the mattress, where hip pressure may be highest for side sleepers, or just the mid & upper sections of the mattress.

I keep the two small cushions at the foot of the bed (rear of truck bed), and it wouldn’t bother me a bit to leave those alone. This is the area with the most tent fabric to store, so keeping as much space available for that as possible can make a big difference in the compression required to close up the tent.

it is definitely a bit tighter to close with the latex topper. the key is to cut the topper a little bit smaller than the cushion on the outer edge that meets the tent. And if you have the side door, I flip the cushions upside down next to it and it allows the extra fabric from the door to lay flat and make it easier to closer. otherwise it’s a PITA

the white and black ones were at their Belgrade location. For whatever reason they haven’t put it on the website yet.

You have a link to the one you used?

This is the one I bought. If I was to do it again I’d maybe just go with one inch and spend some more money to get a higher quality one. But even this one made a huge difference in comfort.

I should mention as well that I had an old twin sized topper laying around that I used to supplement the queen. If you want the topper to cover the entire length of the bed you need to buy an extra piece. Also I have an XL camper.

1 Like

After sleeping 2 different times in my GFC RTT during this Corona madness, I found this thread for others seeking a more comfortable sleeping surface. Thanks to an idea in this thread, I decided to try Exped. In an effort to conserve money and space, I went with the new Exped DeepSleep LW+ mat. Problem 100% solved, I highly recommend it. I can’t wait to get this thing mounted on my rig!!

2 Likes

Are you using the Exped on top of the existing pad? Or replaced the factory pad entirely? If it’s the latter, does the camper close properly?

1 Like

I agree one of the most comfortable pads out there. If I had an rtt I would do it. Not as ideal for the full camper and moving panels around and whatnot.

1 Like

I will use the Exped DeepSleep on top of the existing mattress. I tried a couple of times to expel all of the air and close the tent, but could not close it without significant force. I plan on storing it in the vehicle when I’m not using it. It’s a small price to pay for comfort. -------- All that being said, I did think about replacing the GFC mattress with the Exped MegaMat (thicker than DeepSleep) so maybe…just maybe I could be comfortable AND keep the mattress inside the tent when I’m not using it. We will see, maybe I’ll get a wild hair.

@Travesty - you probably saw my earlier post in this thread about the Mega Mat. It is a very comfortable option in the GFC but it runs just a little wide and could easily get pinched when closing the GFC (I should clarify, this is for the Megamat Duo and would not be an issue at all with the single width Megamat.) So I deflate it most of the way before closing the GFC and that leaves space for the mattress and bedding up top.

Now that I have a 3 month old, I think this summer my wife will sleep upstairs on a single MegaMat with him and I’ll move downstairs with the dog and sleep on a sleeping platform with another single MegaMat.

I just did a driveway campout in the GFC last night. I removed the GFC mattresses completely. I was testing a 4" thick setup using 2 - 2" inflatable Thermarests stacked together that are old. Like using a single Exped Megamat. This morning I left the Thermrests stacked upstairs, the king size pillow and sleeping bag all in the tent. I opened the air valves to allow the air to escape from the Thermarest pads as I closed the GFC. I’m happy to report it was the easiest closing of the GFC yet. Testing various bed setups since I ordered the Exped Regular Wide Megamat yesterday.

4 Likes

Thanks for both of your input @bs2000 and @techjansen. I see what you mean about the Megamat Duo getting pinched. I will reply here if I end up trying it anyway. Can’t wait to get this bad boy on the trail!!!

I am going to test Comex memory Foam sleeping pad.
https://wildproofgear.com/the-best-camping-bed-how-to-choose-one/ - 1st in the list.

Folks say it is perfect for traveling. Provides better sleep for 2 years old so I have a girl of the same age. She likes to sleep alone and I can’t imagine waking up with her legs on my belly, diapers on my face, and not need to worry about her falling off the bed. So I am going to buyt this mattress.

It is easy to put away with a fold, snap of clips and place on the bag. A true memory foam, not some cheesy lightweight material.The mattress pad is made of waterproof that has buckles attached to secure the mattress and easy to clean up.The best part is it’s wide enough so my boy don’t fall off if he turn.An absolutely brilliant memory foam mattress.

Looks good. Let us know how it works out. My issue with mattress pads like this is that it makes it difficult to move the small squares out of the way and climb down. Probably perfect if using the ladder.

Are you putting that on top of the existing mattress when sleeping? Are you buying two since that’s a twin size mattress?

Anyone know if you can fit two pillows up there and still shut it on the newer campers?

I have two pillows and a Rumpl blanket up there and it closes no problem. I keep the pillows towards the wedge end where there is less fabric, and I fold the Rumple in half.

After quarantining myself (Corona) In the GFC for a bit from my pregnant wife in April, I realized the mattress is a bit stiff for me. Going to buy the 1” amazon latex topper and cut up for each panel. Probably just put it in the middle section and where our heads will be, where most pressure will be. Lots of great info on here. Thanks for all the input.

1 Like

I went with a Exped MegaMat Duo as well. Pulled the stock mattress and chucked it in the garage, was horrible and I have the first gen 3" model.

As mentioned above the Duo is wide and can get pinched, but I just fold it in half long ways and stick it in the middle with the valves open and the camper closes right up.

Best change I’ve made to the camper, it’s actually comfortable to sleep in now.

3 Likes