Camper Mattress!

I went with a Exped MegaMat Duo as well. Pulled the stock mattress and chucked it in the garage, was horrible and I have the first gen 3" model.

As mentioned above the Duo is wide and can get pinched, but I just fold it in half long ways and stick it in the middle with the valves open and the camper closes right up.

Best change I’ve made to the camper, it’s actually comfortable to sleep in now.

3 Likes

@2ayne

How did replacing the GFC foam work out? Thinking of doing the same. Stock mattress ain’t so comfy.

1 Like

It didn’t. The foam I stuffed in the cover didn’t really make it anymore comfortable because it was too compressed then it made the tent harder to close.

I did however buy a couple more dense yoga mats from Walmart and cut them and stuffed them into the cover and that helped a lot. Tent still closed up nice and easy. I think I’m going to stick with that unless I go solo sometime then I’ll just throw a thermorest mat or something on top.

1 Like

2 large Thermarest mats cut to fit work under the sheets and still let you close the top

https://www.thermarest.com/sleeping-pads/trek-and-travel/ridgerest-solite/ridge-rest-solite.html

2 Likes

I have tried a 1 in latex topper and 2 in memory foam topper, but I recently switched to a 2 in latex topper. I find the latex more comfortable than memory foam and 1 in just wasn’t enough. The tent closes just fine with the two small squares upside down.
Pure Green 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper - Soft - 2 Inch - Full Size https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UYGAH4O/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_jII6EbR68DT06

Just put in a 1.5 in memory foam topper. I read the notes on the memory foam and cold temps…we’ll see how it works out. In the warm weather test run it feels comfy as hell. I trimmed it down to the min size needed at the head and foot. Took an inch or so off of both sides. Closes up just fine, but does require a little extra care. Like 30 seconds more maybe.

My theory is that I’ll leave it up there full time. I’m 5’11 and in an XL camper. I’m a little worried about it being super annoying when I want to move from the mattress area to the bed of the truck, but we will see. My theory is that it really isn’t that different than dealing with the bedding. If it is, I’ll cut up the mattress into pieces and try to stuff them under the sheets.

Definitely wish GFC just offered a more plush mattress as it is clear that an additional inch of mattress would have fit fine

1 Like

Just spent a couple nights out with my Big Agnes Hinman XL addition…it was awesome, as in life-changing awesome. More comfortable than my bed at home.

I leave it upstairs. Takes a little extra time to get things closed up, but well worth it!

1 Like

@Kwood Did you cut the 2" latex topper and locate it between the sheets and the cordura cover?

@GFC322, Yes. (20 characters)

Are you still able to move easily between the sleep section and the truck bed section? Ie how do you go about removing the panels?

I pop in through the doors (ladder on side or hop up through back). I have gotten in through the floor; however, when the mat is inflated, the problem is that anything that was on it gets catapulted across the tent.

1 Like

When I first tried memory foam I did as you did and would just roll it out as 1 piece but it makes climbing downstairs more difficult and annoying. I also tried the megamat duo which is the most comfortable mattress but also makes it difficult to climb down stairs. Truly what would make the camper most ideal is to have a space to climb in and out of all the time like The Drifter does but that brings a bunch of other things I don’t like.

1 Like

Based on all the feedback’ I had asked about not having a factory pad at all. I was told this was not possible. I guess since part of the platform has the pad installed and is fixed. If it is as uncomfortable as I hear, I’ll remove the GFC pads and use my exped.

I love sleeping on mine. I’m so happy it’s not all soft and smooshy.

1 Like

I find mine - first generation build #43 (I think) - a bit hard after a couple of nights. But, it still beats the shite out of a pad on the ground…

Sure, I’d like my Endy mattress up there - but it’s pretty damn comfortable.

I’m not willing to cut it apart to make it better. If I were - I’d want a 1-2" pad from GFC with an inflatable on top of it (I love my sea to summit!). But, geez louise - it’s damn nice as it is.

2 Likes

That’s good to hear. I’ll reserve judgement, but I’m too old to sleep like on the ground anymore.

For what it’s worth my girlfriend and I both find the mattress comfortable as-is. We have the second generation pad(#496).

I’m jealous of those that find comfort in sleeping on the mattress as it comes. I just need something different. To be fair I am a picky sleeper when it comes to a mattress and I have some previous leg injuries which also make sleep comfort difficult.
One of the things I love about this camper is the ability to climb in and out of it through the floor. When you have a full size two-person mattress this is somewhat difficult. Recently I bought two separate big Angus air mattress pads which fit perfect in the camper. Using an electric pump they inflate in about eight seconds. They deflate just as quick. I leave them up there deflated when not in use. Very comfortable so far. I got rid of the latex topper so now moving the panels is a little bit easier plus by using two separate pads it is easier to move the pad out of the way compared to having a 2-person pad.

9 Likes

This looks like an ideal setup for auxiliary cushioning while maintaining truck bed accessibility. Well done :muscle: !

5 Likes

I use the same set up. I agree I wish I didnt need to use the pads. Big A makes a cover that goes over the pads with 1/2 inch of close cell foam pad with is nice. It protects the pads as well.

1 Like